Review by Charlyt -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

This forum is for volunteer reviews by members of our review team. These reviews are done voluntarily by the reviewers and are published in this forum, separate from the official professional reviews. These reviews are kept separate primarily because the same book may be reviewed by many different reviewers.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Review by Charlyt -- Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Charlyt » 17 Mar 2019, 02:40

[Following is a volunteer review of "Adrift" by Charlie Sheldon.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Seattle Express cargo ship was on its way back from Petropavlovsk when the fire alarm went off. With smoke rising, Steve, the ship’s captain, and his crew immediately searched for the fire that was rapidly growing. When it became obvious that the fire was already too big to control, Steve gave the command for everyone to abandon ship. Divided into two lifeboats, the Seattle Express crew dropped in the middle of the Gulf of Alaska in the cold, early morning of December. But their troubles were only beginning. Steve cannot contact the other lifeboat commanded by Randall, the first mate. Were they able to abandon the ship and get away safely? The nearest shore will take days to sail, and the sea was rough. They must ration their food and water but their biggest enemy was the cold.

Adrift is the second novel of the Strong Heart Series written by Charlie Sheldon. It is a thrilling book that starts off with a crew of sailors abandoning a burning ship, but the story expands to a collection of characters that are affected by this tragedy. These include Myra, the daughter of a crew member named William, and Louise, who owns Warhorse and is on a race to tow and recover the abandoned ship from other tugboats. Even if it is the second book of a series, it felt like a story of its own, and I never felt left out for not having read the first book.

I loved the way that the story was told. The plot was complex, and the characters were diverse, but it was easy to read and understand, and the flow of the narration was very smooth. The chapters were also named after the character that the chapter was about, and I thought that that was really helpful. I especially liked how each person has their own story to tell, and towards the end, the reader was able to see how they are connected and, eventually, interact with each other. The plot and the characters were developed really well that they seemed real, and they gave the book a distinct personality.

I didn’t really have anything that I disliked about this book. If there was something that was hard to understand, it was the technical terms used when the parts of the ship were described, and the sailors of the Warhorse were doing their job. But that was because I didn’t know anything about ships, and it meant that the author knew what he was writing about.

I rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. I ended the book wanting to read more. It’s a great gripping story that makes you sympathize with the characters and makes you want to read the other books in the series. The book also seemed like it was professionally edited since I didn’t find any errors in it. There were a couple of curse words so it's not for young adults, but I would definitely recommend this to any reader who likes thrilling adventure stories, especially those who have knowledge about ships.

Adrift
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Charlyt's review? Post a comment saying so!
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG

Return to “Volunteer Reviews”