Official Review: Death's Strife by Anthony Chesterfield

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
While in the forum's younger and less active days this used to be the one and only forum for "reviews and discussions about specific books", this is now just the subforum "other fiction" in a more well-organized "reviews and discussions about specific books" section with subforums for each genre. Check it out! :) Remember, the forums in the reviews section (including this forum) are for posting about a single book or series in topic, and the topic title should include the book's title. If you are creating a new topic, please try to post it in one of the other genres rather than posting it here in the "other fiction" section. This is only for books that do not fit in any of the other genre categories we have listed.
ayoomisope
2018 Reading Goal: 25
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 84
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Death's Strife by Anthony Chesterfield

Official Review: Death's Strife by Anthony Chesterfield

Post by ayoomisope » 10 Mar 2019, 19:06

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Death's Strife" by Anthony Chesterfield.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Imagine you can interact with life and death as actual personalities—try to understand their objectives, ideological motives, purpose, and complex relationship. Death’s Strife by Anthony Chesterfield is a fictional book that explores the essence and struggles of life and death, with respect to humanity.

The novel opens to a disagreement between Death and his father, Life, in the firmament. The two are stewards of God for the earth. Since the dawn of time, both father and son have had their differences, and their relationship has remained edgy ever since. Death fervently believes mankind falsely accuses him of the concept of death; he thinks Life also fulfills an important role in the process of death. During one of their dissensions, they mutually agree to include an outsider Lilith to help reconcile their relationship. Lilith, however, secretly despises the duo, and she tells them their relationship is irreparable. Death and Life eventually agree to wander around the earth in human form—interacting with and persuading mankind to follow one or the other to decide who would gain the upper hand. They decide to meet in Madrid in 1939 (seventy-four years after their arrival on earth). They journey to earth: Death finds himself at the El Escorial Monastery while Life discovers himself in Paris. Only time will tell who, if anyone, will be victorious.

I appreciate the imaginative process employed by the author in this work; it undoubtedly breaks the stereotypical mould of common fictional works. The principal characters, Life and Death, are relatable and properly developed. Their actions and motivations are deeply engaging and captivating. Moreover, the explored philosophical background of the idea and profound impact of these characters is a special highlight. The supporting characters are also employed masterfully, especially Alfonso and Bernard DuPont.

Nevertheless, the book was not professionally edited. There is a significant number of grammatical and spelling errors. Furthermore, the author seems to hold a belief that the earth has existed for less than 10,000 years. While I do not have a problem with this belief, the book also mentions the evolution of man, creating an inconsistency. In addition, the spacing used for the left and right margins appears too small; this might reduce readability for readers.

I assign Death’s Strife a rating of 3 out of 4 stars. Despite its drawbacks, it is a book that truly delivers a very engaging story I believe would appeal to readers of all ages who love creative fictions that involve philosophical elements. However, it is certainly not for readers who might think, based on the title, it is a psychological thriller.

Death's Strife
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ayoomisope's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot

Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 45
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 26
2018 Reading Goal: 40
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 127
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A f**k
Bookshelf Size: 337
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: And We Never Met A Nazi by Rose Tuchmann, Oscar Bing
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bianka Walter » 14 Mar 2019, 06:13

This is such an interesting premise.
Although, I agree with you that there needs to be some consistency. I'm sure it was an oversight on the author's behalf to mention evolution and back it up with a 10000-year-old Earth, so well picked up!
I really enjoyed this review :)
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading: Scorched
Bookshelf Size: 260
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: TimeWorm by Brenda Heller

Post by kandscreeley » 14 Mar 2019, 08:10

It's too bad about the errors, but the book definitely sounds unique. I haven't really heard of Life and Death being personified. It brings to mind C.S. Lewis's Screwtape Letters, but that is different. I'll look into it, though. Thanks.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

kdstrack
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 27
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: The last Assassination
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Issac Montgomery Nemesis by Steven Anthony Bartlett

Post by kdstrack » 14 Mar 2019, 15:41

I agree that this is an interesting story line. I am wondering if the book explains how father and son came to be opposites other than just assigning them their attribute. This sounds quite intriguing. Great review.

Prisallen
2019 Reading Goal: 104
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 12
Currently Reading: The Ordinary Doll
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Ironbark Hill by Jennie Linnane

Post by Prisallen » 15 Mar 2019, 13:58

This does sound like a very imaginative book, putting Life and Death in human form and having them wander around, trying to get followers. I'm not sure it is for me, though. It doesn't sound like my cup of tea. Thank you for the review!

chiefsimplex
2019 Reading Goal: 80
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: The Attuned by Gary B. Haley

Post by chiefsimplex » 16 Mar 2019, 18:18

The underlying idea is fascinating, it gets one thinking.However the contradictions noted taint the otherwise good work.Still these kind of fiction stories do not sit well with me ,require lots of active imagination.Thanks for sharing the review.
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”