Official Review: Salt of the Earth by Kate Moschandreas

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
LennyDots
Currently Reading: Hidden Figures
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lennydots.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Re: Official Review: Salt of the Earth by Kate Moschandreas

Post by LennyDots »

I'm sincerely interested in reading this one! The way you describe the book sounds like it has a lot of the elements I love in sci-fi. I love it when authors do enough research and understand things well enough to break down a specialized idea for laymen. So many science fiction books focus so hard on the fiction that they forget the science. If this author has the science down, I know what I'm reading this weekend!
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

A detailed and insightful review. 2038 is not far away, and the events and technology sound quite plausible. I always enjoy a thriller, even when set in the future. This should be a compelling read.
James Alexander
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-james-alexander.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by James Alexander »

Wow! I have fallen in love with this one. I like futuristic, dystopian novels. I'm going to have to check this one out! Thanks so much for sharing.
MHScaccia
Favorite Book: Demon Freaks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mhscaccia.html
Latest Review: The Embalmer by Vincent Zandri
Reading Device: B01J94T83C

Post by MHScaccia »

What a great review! I’ve had this book on my TR list for a while now. I think I’ll bump it up a few notches as it sounds intriguing. Thanks!
“Everything you can imagine is real” ~Pablo Picasso
britt13
Currently Reading: the last of the really great wangdoodlea
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-britt13.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by britt13 »

Futuristic dystopian society texts are literally my favorite! This one sounds like it is pretty high quality so I am so excited about it!
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, the story about a dystopian society built on technological improvements and corporate espionage. Its theme has all of the characteristics of a great science fiction novel. The book itself has its strong points and for that reason, this deserves a second look. Well Done.
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

Despite its futuristic fictional setting, this story is sexy, smart, and (in my opinion) most importantly, believable. The technological concepts are described in a detailed yet simple way, using actual scientific terminology, rather than just made-up terms like so many other sci-fi stories. Though typically I am not a fan of stories that include a lot of action scenes, the action within this novel is crafted beautifully. The scene descriptions are vivid and memorable, yet the violence is not gratuitous or excessive.

Furthermore, the character development is effective and well-nuanced. Jess, as our lead, is a strong and intelligent woman, employed in a very male-dominated field of study. However, she also displays a range of emotions, including vulnerability and fear, which do not take away from her rationality or self-assurance. Matteo, as her counter, also has a complex and multi-faceted emotional backstory. While he grieves the loss of his ex-wife and struggles with conflicting alliances to his employers and Jess, he exhibits a balance of tenderness and bravado that demonstrates the depth with which the author has endowed all of the characters. Even the side-characters have fascinating and rich back stories. None are painted as entirely good or evil, but are instead simply human, with all of the greed and fear and prejudice that humanity entails.
Thanks for the review. It sounds like a futuristic story based on science, with action and depth. I love page-turners, but without depth of character, there is no reason to turn them.

:techie-studyingbrown:
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Tcaudill
Currently Reading: Masterminders
Bookshelf Size: 44

Post by Tcaudill »

I love futuristic scifi. This sounds very interesting with alot of suspense.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a very profound review. Thanks a lot for it. It is great to read that Mateo had to begin protecting Jess. It sounds that the author did a great deal of work in developing each of the characters. Using the real scientific names for the chemical compound makes this book more realistic for sure. The action here and there will also make it attract more readers.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
trajoe1206
Currently Reading: The Witch of Endor: Vampires
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-trajoe1206.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by trajoe1206 »

Thanks for the great, detailed review. I love action-packed, sci-fi novels and so this should be right up my alley
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

I look forward to reading this. I love how immersive this world sounds, I love when technology and world conditions are relatable. The world building and plot line of this story are the types that I enjoy reading in the SciFi stories I choose.
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

Great review! I'm not a huge fan of sci-fi novels set in the future but this one seems to have a plot where I can make an exception.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

Thanks for the review. The prospect of a realistic scientific future makes me interested to see how things proceed.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Carly-maricque
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 293
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carly-maricque.html
Latest Review: If life stinks get your head outta your buts by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Carly-maricque »

Thanks for the well written review! I usually don't like sci-fi books, but this one sounds interesting thanks to your review! I will have to give it a try.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Salt of the Earth by Kate Moschandreas seems to be an exciting sci-fi thriller. Holding a futuristic story, the novel appears to touch on many areas of scientific advancements, its effects on the society, and the social life. It's interesting to know, how the influential people react to the situation when common people struggle to lead a normal life after a severe drought. The power-seeking leaders take advantage of the situation even if there is a struggle for life for others. Thanks for the elaborate review. The sample was also informative about the plot. I wish the novel to be a popular read and also feel, the story be adapted into a film.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”