Official Review: Another Son by Kurtis Bell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
JR Mercier
Favorite Book: The Bear and the Nightingale
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 129
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jr-mercier.html
Latest Review: Betrayal by Maggie Walsh

Official Review: Another Son by Kurtis Bell

Post by JR Mercier »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Another Son" by Kurtis Bell.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

“What is the general theme of all religions? One, that there is a God of some kind; two, there is an afterlife of some kind; and three, to be kind, humane, and tolerant of your fellow human beings.”
Another Son recounts the story of Jos, a modern-day prophet. Jos, along with a crew of diverse characters, takes over a failing restaurant in a decrepit part of town. Instead of having a traditional business hierarchy, all of them become partners in this endeavour. Together, they bring the neighbourhood back to life by offering wisdom, help and hope.

We are introduced to a diverse cast from all walks of society. Male, female, old, young, Christian, Muslim, Hindu – they are all present. Jos uses teachings from leading scientists’, renowned activists’, and religious historical figures like Muhammad, Jesus, and Buddha. They are all brought into the story by Jos, a man preaching that life is about the present and that we should treat each other with respect and kindness. While Another Son is written from an unnamed narrators point of view, the story is chiefly about Jos’ teachings.

Together, this group of different individuals start to ask questions from the man that seems to know it all. They start to discover the true meaning of a good life and encourage tolerance of people, no matter what ‘gang’ they belong to. As time goes on, they open a bakery and a haven called the Church of Understanding.

I can’t express how much I love the idea of the Church of Understanding: a place where people can go to learn and share their knowledge and skills. Jos teaches that knowledge is priceless and should be shared free of cost and without strings attached. This church is my idea of heaven. People pursuing knowledge, listening, and making an effort to understanding other humans without prejudice or discrimination of skin colour, gender or religious beliefs. This church helps bring the community together and even encourages questionable characters to take a chance and learn.

I also love how Jos becomes a father figure to the community. Everyone listens when he speaks and he encourages everyone to live for themselves and for those around them. While the majority of the book is drama free, Kurtis Bell doesn’t shy away from the fact that good people can do horrible things. They aren’t living in some mythical sunshine land where teamwork comes effortlessly, and everything is always dandy. They struggle with addiction, gangs and murder, and how it doesn’t matter how much you want to help someone, sometimes we fail.

Another Son deals with love, loss, free will, religion, drugs, hope, wealth and a world that is spiralling down the abyss by preaching one simple idea: Humans are your ‘gang.’ Before all else, we are human. Love people. Respect people. Let them live their lives like they want to. If they aren’t harming themselves or you, then let them be.

I didn’t agree with everything that Jos was teaching but I do agree with his core message. People are all unique and different. Those differences are what make each individual so important. It doesn’t matter what religion you follow - or if you don’t follow any at all - one thing remains true: life is precious, and we can all enjoy a good life if we do good to those around us. Some of the subjects are sensitive and I encourage those that want to read this book to please keep an open mind.

The book is written freely without much thought to the rules of a normal novel and the majority of the text deals with one subject at a time. It was made easy by bold headings and the narrator’s words being in italics while Jos’ was in normal text. This is more a question-and-answer book, but it is made more relatable by the author using characters to show these problems in our day-to-day lives. There was only one grammar error to my notice. I would recommend Another Son to those seeking a thought-provoking read and age-old advice revised for a modern world.

I rate Another Son 4 out of 4 stars. Another Son made me feel and to me, that is what writing is about. I walked away from this book with a renewed appreciation for myself and the world. Life is what you make of it. Don’t waste it and live life good.

Another Son
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like JR Mercier's review? Post a comment saying so!
Dream up something wild and improbable.
-Strange The Dreamer, Laini Taylor
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

Great review! Indeed we would live harmoniously if as humans we stopped trying to change our differences and stopped by the 'church of understanding' every so often!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Cotwani wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 09:31 Great review! Indeed we would live harmoniously if as humans we stopped trying to change our differences and stopped by the 'church of understanding' every so often!
I love the idea so much. It's such a simple thing, just listening to peoples stories and their passions and hobbies. Thank you so much for commenting and reading my review. :tiphat:
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a very interesting book and definitely has a unique concept. I definitely believe we all need to be more understanding of each other, but I'm not sure about the idea of combining different religions. Still, it sounds like a good read. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

kandscreeley wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 11:32 This sounds like a very interesting book and definitely has a unique concept. I definitely believe we all need to be more understanding of each other, but I'm not sure about the idea of combining different religions. Still, it sounds like a good read. Thanks for the review.
I definitely understand that. I feel like maybe this could be a good way to start being more accepting of different people and cultures. Thank you so much for commenting.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

OUVROU wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 07:14 Very nice review. I want to read this book but I am worried about the message it will send to someone like me that is more conservative.
If you keep an open mind I think you will enjoy the message the author is trying to convey. I didn't agree with everything he said but it was definitely coming from a good place. Thank you for commenting.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

shanettepienaar1971 wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 06:06 Another Son sounds like a beautiful story and it sounds needed in the present time. Enjoyed your review and it's nice to hear such passion.
Thank you! It is definitely a message that we need right now. Tolerance and forgiveness. Thank you so much for commenting.
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Thanks for your review. That sounds like a very worthwhile book.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Helen_Combe wrote: 22 Jun 2018, 05:10 Thanks for your review. That sounds like a very worthwhile book.
It definitely is and thank you for the comment. :tiphat:
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

OUVROU wrote: 21 Jun 2018, 07:14 Very nice review. I want to read this book but I am worried about the message it will send to someone like me that is more conservative.
If you keep an open mind I think you will enjoy the message the author is trying to convey. I didn't agree with everything he said but it was definitely coming from a good place. Thank you for commenting.
gen_g
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 1984
Bookshelf Size: 104
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gen-g.html
Latest Review: The Diary That Will Change Your Lives Forever by Georgios Zelelidis

Post by gen_g »

This sounds like a really interesting read, and its message seems like one that is needed especially today. Thanks for your lovely review!
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Sounds like the Humanist movement getting a strong hold...something I can't argue against. It sounds like this book has a great message. I'm glad to hear that while it was executed differently, it was done well.

Thanks for your great review!
Espie
Favorite Book: Behind the Barbed Wire Fence
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-espie.html
Latest Review: Why Me: Trash Collector, Mental Issues by Nikolay N Bey

Post by Espie »

You've mentioned that the author made you "feel," and that effect on you is clearly manifested in your writing. Your words reflect the same inspiration, motivation, and realisation you said you've got from the piece. Thank you for passing such on, through your convincing review.
"Life has many different chapters for us. One bad chapter doesn't mean it's the end of the book."-Unknown
"To err is human; to forgive, divine."-Alexander Pope
"Put GOD first; He'll bless your efforts with success."-Proverbs
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

Espie wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 10:58 You've mentioned that the author made you "feel," and that effect on you is clearly manifested in your writing. Your words reflect the same inspiration, motivation, and realisation you said you've got from the piece. Thank you for passing such on, through your convincing review.
Thank you so much! It really means the world to me. :D
JR Mercier
Currently Reading:

Post by JR Mercier »

gen_g wrote: 23 Jun 2018, 09:35 This sounds like a really interesting read, and its message seems like one that is needed especially today. Thanks for your lovely review!
It really is. And thank you so much!

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”