Official Review: Citizen Cárdenas by Steve Cole

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Karencantley1
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karencantley1.html
Latest Review: Going Gone by Abraham Lopez

Re: Official Review: Citizen Cárdenas by Steve Cole

Post by Karencantley1 »

Homelessness is still an awkward and difficult conversation for most people. This story sounds both heart-warming and soul searching in the way it examines what truely motivates us. From reading the sample I found this story to be both charming and real, and I look forward to following George’s, Alexias’s and Gato’s journey of discovery.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

This is an interesting novel. Unfortunately, what happened to Jesus with Social Security probably occurs far more often than we want to believe. I like that this book draws attention to the homeless situation and how they are treated. I was happy to get the book free for being BOTD and will add it to my very long reading list. Thanks for such a nice informative review of this book.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
crediblereading2
Currently Reading: Bitroux
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crediblereading2.html
Latest Review: SSN Seadragon by J P Ronald

Post by crediblereading2 »

I love you review. You seem to ask the right questions about the motive of Dadi and Mami for helping Jesus Cardenas.
Kalin Adi
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kalin-adi.html
Latest Review: French for Girls by JP Wright

Post by Kalin Adi »

We all know the Social Security in all countries is somehow unfair, but until what extreme? None of us wants to find out. Nevertheless, many find out how horrible the social security is everyday. Cut payments, no medicine, ill-treatments and so on are just some of the most common complains about it. This literary novel has a strong and solid plot. Interesting! Thanks for the review!
JayTilden
Currently Reading: Heaven and Earth
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JayTilden »

This sounds really interesting, especially with regards to the characterization. The complex portrayl of Gato certainly seems, as you described him, to be compelling. Adding this to my to-read! Thank you for the detailed review. - J
Aisha I
Currently Reading: Dead Lock
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-i.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Aisha I »

Wow...what a nice review!
It's quite emotional for a person to be silenced by falsehood of death declaration. People entangled with guilt will always do the best they can to help clean up the mess they created. Thanks for the review!
meadhbh
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meadhbh.html
Latest Review: The Last Rite by Chad Morgan

Post by meadhbh »

Sounds like this would be a great way to help spread empathy for people who find themselves in these incredibly tough situations
klwoodford
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-klwoodford.html
Latest Review: Pembrim by Bree Lenehan

Post by klwoodford »

Thank you for the telling review! This novel sounds like one that would pull on my heartstrings. I like how you mention that it is a story that has layers. I love books that make me think and character driven stories.
ccrews0408
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ccrews0408.html
Latest Review: From Hill Town to Strieby by Margo Lee Williams

Post by ccrews0408 »

I really enjoyed reading your review. This sounds like a very complex novel that has more to it than that meets the eye.
bootsie0126+
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 285
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bootsie0126.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B01GEW27DA

Post by bootsie0126+ »

Although the book and your review seems interesting, I could not get past the prologue in the sample pages of this book. The rather long synopsis on Amazon did not help make a connection for me to read past the summary, which I could not really do that. I am intrigued with some of the other characters mentioned in the book and the some what mystery behind the Dadi and Mami's decision to help Gato after years of knowing him, it will have to take a really boring day and nothing else to read in order for me to consider reading this book. I do appreciate the in depth analysis giving in this review.
MoLangari
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by MoLangari »

I am not a great novel reader honestly. This review made me inclined to start reading the book.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

The premise of this one almost sounds comical at first - I think I saw an episode of Grace and Frankie where something similar happened. However, the complex plotting and in-depth characterization make this one more appealing and thrilling than comical. Thanks for the thorough review.
Haute_Coffee
Currently Reading: Pimp
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-haute-coffee.html
Latest Review: A Stone of Hope by Janet S. Kleinman
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Haute_Coffee »

Great review. It sounds really interesting and I’m curious about the mystery of his identity.
Tbunde5
Favorite Book: A Column of Fire
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tbunde5.html
Latest Review: Kamel by Charles J Haubner III

Post by Tbunde5 »

As the author changes from one point of view to another, the actual voice and language of the chapter changes to match the character. When Gato tells his story, it is written in somewhat broken English with intermittent Spanish. The reader feels as if he is listening to a true oral history. Well done.
onixpam
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onixpam.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by onixpam »

Thanks for your review! This is a great book the plot is original and attractive, I do not would happen to me if Social Security thinks I am dead, I hope I could read this book very soon.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”