Official Review: The Piketty Problem by Garth Hallberg

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
halismom1016
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades of Grey
Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 68
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-halismom1016.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Re: Official Review: The Piketty Problem by Garth Hallberg

Post by halismom1016 »

This sounds fascinating can't wait to read more.
The BookWorm Nagham
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-bookworm-nagham.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base

Post by The BookWorm Nagham »

Thank you for the amazing review, I haven't heard about Piketty before, but he does sound intriguing.
lavellan
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lavellan.html
Latest Review: encoded by Richard Nedbal

Post by lavellan »

Thanks for the review! This books sounds like a must-read. It seems like the author did a good job of creating a narrative from a potentially dry topic.
Tars
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 351

Post by Tars »

You can't help but must admire how some authors are capable use humor to present a serious problem, making it interesting and easy to understanding in the process.
Fati-bola
Currently Reading: Rogue Captain
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fati-bola.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Fati-bola »

From the sample, I quite agree with the review that the book is a fusion of opposites: the use of puns and humor to discuss a serious matter, well developed characters that are personal yet political of and the masterful handling of language that makde the narrative fluid and engaging is highly commendable. Thanks for this detailed review.
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

I love when an author can write about a topical issue but spin it in a way that is interesting and humorous. Honestly I probably wouldn't have picked this one up based on the cover and title, but your review made the story so quirky and fun, I actually think I might enjoy it.
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Some subjects are drier and hard to grasp or are too complicated for the average person. I'm glad that authors make such topics accessible and interesting. The inclusion of economic topics in a story with diverse characters shows the situation from all sides. When topics are broken down and made into easily digested conversational/ dialogue it gives more people the chance to understand and be able to adopt the ideas they are reading about. I look forward to reading this.
Moha+
Currently Reading: Ironbark Hill
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Moha+ »

The subtitle 'The Robots are coming' set the tone from the ouster and left admiring the sensation of the author
Cecilix
Currently Reading: The Vampire Secret
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cecilix.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Reading Device: B071D2F6HH

Post by Cecilix »

Wow you made me want to read the book the detail you put into this review was inspiring. I didn’t think I was going to like the book until I read what you said thank you.
Reuben 92 wrote: 26 Oct 2017, 07:06 [Following is an official OnlineBookClubvreview of "The Piketty Problem" by Garth Hallberg.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The subtitle of Garth Hallberg's The Piketty Problem sets the tone right from the outset. "The Robots Are Coming, The Robots Are Coming" is a line that made me smile before I had even turned to the first page. The subtitle also refers to an important theme of the novel: the replacement of low-paid workers with robots. Hallberg's novel is - first and foremost - very funny. It is also serious, as the introduction makes clear. Hallberg claims his book as a descendant of a once-popular literary genre: the social protest novel. Using Thomas Piketty's book Capital in the Twenty-First Century as a point of reference, Hallberg weaves an entertaining tale of several characters in America during the run-up to the most recent presidential election. (If, like me, you have not heard of Piketty before, he is an economist whose major idea is that in America the over-zealous love of capitalism has led to an unfair situation where the vast majority of the country's wealth rests in the hands of the richest 1% of the population.)

I am no economist, but Hallberg made this idea (and several others of Piketty) incredibly accessible and educational. I was impressed by the skillful and effortless inclusion of such a heavy, potentially dry, subject into the narrative. The plot never suffered. Nor, surprisingly, did the dialogue, which often contained discussions of Piketty's ideas. The novel opens with four characters from very different backgrounds discussing these very ideas over dinner. They are George Dealy (a misogynistic McDonald's franchisee owner), his wife Suzanne (whose politics are much more liberal than her husband's), Suzanne's best friend from school, Francesca (a sophisticated European with a string of lovers), and Hugo (Francesca's latest boyfriend and keen disciple of Piketty). The tension between the two ideals of unbridled capitalism and a fairer distribution of wealth (through the method of raising the minimum wage) is set up right at the outset, and remains in place throughout.

Dealy represents the 1%, only concerned with increasing his wealth, and the other characters are all opposed to his refusal to raise wages, and his plans to create the "McDonald's of the future" by replacing employees with burger-making robots. An underground movement emerges in time to stage a protest at the opening of Dealy's new restaurant. Suzanne joins the group after becoming romantically involved with a local man, Steve Harris, who is even more obsessed with Piketty's ideas than she is. Along with Harris' daughter and her boyfriend, the core of the political cell is formed with the intention of disrupting Dealy's plans. Without giving away any spoilers, the plot builds in intensity as we come towards this climax, and I loved the way Hallberg built up a feeling of inevitability as the net tightens. Another pleasure was how every character was connected to the others in increasingly intricate and claustrophobic ways: Harris begins to work for Dealy, while sleeping with Suzanne; Harris' estranged wife turns up on the scene unexpectedly; and Suzanne keeps her relationship to George a secret from Harris' daughter and her boyfriend. Things quickly become deliciously tangled, but never hard to follow, as we don't have too wide a cast to keep up with - just the same handful of characters in shifting configurations.

One final character is Harris' father-in-law, who is visited by Harris a few times during the action. It is not initially clear what role this elderly man with dementia will play, but Hallberg's ability to describe his experiences and perceptions is impressive and heartbreaking, and he comes to play an important part by the end of the novel. I was blown away by the range and quality of Hallberg's prose: he had a real gift for creating very individual characters that you wanted to find out more about.

Perhaps my favourite aspect of the book, however, was the narrative style. Hallberg's writing is so lively and engaging. Puns and wordplay play a huge part in this book, as do all sorts of little verbal quirks and tics unique to its different characters. Hallberg's playing about with language - without ever taking away from a strong plot or becoming too "experimental" - was a real delight. I found myself smiling on many occasions and relishing his wonderful turn of phrase and one-of-a-kind humour. The book was superbly edited, too, which was especially impressive due to the unconventional use of language in many cases. My only warning would be that it is for a mature audience, particularly due to the sexual themes. While there were never explicit descriptions, this aspect still played a key part in the plot, and so it is only suitable for an adult readership.

Garth Hallberg's The Piketty Problem was a well-balanced fusion of opposites to create a really satisfying whole: a funny tone mixed with a serious message, and a plot both highly personal and highly political. With expertly-created characters, a fast-paced plot, and a totally unique writing style, this book was a complete winner for me. Its topicality was the icing on the cake: contemporary America was very clearly seen in its pages, and Donald Trump loomed as large as the giant inflatable Ronald McDonald (Ronald sounds very like Donald...) that floats above Dealy's restaurant. I give this book a full 4 out of 4 stars and recommend it to anyone who likes a deft plot, great characters, humorous writing, or something to think about once you have finished reading. I can't recommend it highly enough
EricaWilson
Favorite Book: Slated
Currently Reading: Seven Minutes in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ericawilson.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by EricaWilson »

Although this doesn't sound very interesting to me, I do like that the author is able to sprinkle humor in with such a dry topic.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee

Post by Cristina Chifane »

I like reading political satires especially thinking of the current trends in politics. From your description, I am convinced puns and wordplay make all the fun of reading Hallberg's novel. I hope I'll have the time to give it a try. Thank you for your review!
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Bnall
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by Bnall »

Had to add this one to my “To be read” stack because I love humorous writing, especially about a serious and timely topic. As a teacher, I try to have my students envision a future with robots competing against them for work. I’m sure I’ll be able to use parts of the writing as passages to engage my students showing how humor in writing works, even with serious topics. Thanks for the excellent review, otherwise, I probably would have missed this book!!
katiesga54
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesga54.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by katiesga54 »

The first five chapters are very well written. Suzanne and George seem to fit the bill of many older, wealthier couples this day and age. Their banter is perfectly timed and also sounds like many couples married for a while.

The way Suzanne and Harris meet is funny and enjoyable.

This will be entertaining just with the satire factor. Looking forward to the read.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

When I first started reading the review, I thought it was going to be about a boring book on economics and politics. But despite those predominant themes, you had me at "puns and wordplay" alongside the intriguing plot and cleverly orchestrated connections between characters. Thanks to this review, I'm now officially interested in reading this book!
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
[Valerie Allen]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 776
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-valerie-allen.html
Latest Review: Utopia Project by Billy Dering

Post by [Valerie Allen] »

For sure, if you have a love for French connections (love triangles), economists and politics, then I agree, The Piketty Problem by Garth Hallberg is certainly for the readers and not too mention, the yet, spoiler alerts given away within this fair review; whereas, I might rate the book 3/4 stars if I read the full version. :wink:
And another book was opened, which is the Book of Life. (Revelation 20:12 (NKJV) :reading-7:

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”