Official Review: Ice Cold by Taylor Caley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Acwoolet
Favorite Author: Karen Kingsbury
Favorite Book: Gone With the Wind
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-acwoolet.html
Latest Review: Touching Time by B. W. Haggart
fav_author_id: 6216

Official Review: Ice Cold by Taylor Caley

Post by Acwoolet »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Ice Cold" by Taylor Caley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Ice Cold, Part One: The Dark Zone is a fantasy novel written by Taylor Caley, where there is definitely more to the inhabitants of this Earth than meets the eye. Unbeknownst to those who live a in a fairly normal 2010, there is a whole tribe of people who live in the surrounding mountains that are quite happily trapped in their own world away from society. However, when this tribe of people begin to realize that their lives are in mortal danger, they discover that they are up against more than they can handle.

For generations the Ravennites, children of the lost Seluitah tribe and refugees of the Old World live in peace together away from the wilds of society. However, growing tension between them and a group of people who also inhabit their mountains changes how they look at their own existence. When Alex Lee, a young teen from the outside world accidently stumbles upon their tribe, the Ravennites begin to recognize him as someone who could help win the war against their greatest enemies. These actions set Alex on a path that he would never have imagined in his wildest dreams.

The premise of Ice Cold was incredibly fascinating; to have a tribe of people living mere miles away from a normal 21st century existence whose people haven’t any clue of their presence is fairly mind-blowing. The mix of ideals and religions that the Ravennites possess is very interesting and would definitely benefit from further exploration within future novels. Within all of this is an exciting coming of age story that would be beneficial for young teens to discover for themselves.

While the premise of this story was very interesting, I unfortunately found myself having a very hard time actually getting into it. While Alex’s character had some decent character development, the rest of the characters seemed to lack the depth that he possessed, and felt fairly one-dimensional. The descriptions of the landscape were definitely the most detailed, I felt as if I were in the mountains of the Ravennites and could see myself amongst the trees. Regrettably, those descriptions didn’t make up for the fact that the dialogue fell pretty flat. Throughout the first half of the novel, I ended up a little confused as to who was talking because all of the characters seemed to posses the same narrative voice. Although this did change a little towards the end of the novel, it wasn’t a drastic enough change to redeem the dialogue. However, the novel did contain a fairly steady pace and didn’t take off on any random tangents. It was also very well edited and lacked any obvious grammar or punctuation errors.

I regrettably give Ice Cold a 2 out of 4 stars. I think that older kids and younger teens might enjoy Alex’s adventures, but for me, I think that it could have definitely used a little more detail to the story line and depth to the characters.

Ice Cold
View: on Bookshelves

Like Acwoolet's review? Post a comment saying so!
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

It's too bad that the rest of the characters lacked any character development and that the dialogue was flat. It seems like this could have been a great read if there were more multidimensional characters. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Scerakor
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 315
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-scerakor.html
Latest Review: Gaslighting & Narcissistic Abuse Recovery: by Don Barlow

Post by Scerakor »

It is sad to hear that it lacked depth; I love the idea behind the book and I have always been attracted to stories which have a "unknown society" element to it. Thanks for the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think this sounds like something I would really enjoy. It's too bad that the characters and the dialogue fell flat. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ynnahxx
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ynnahxx »

Ice Cold by Taylor Caley is not really good. It is so boring for a fantasy novel
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

The premise of this one really does sound exciting and adventurous. I strongly dislike when author's think they don't have to develop characters or plots that much because they are writing YA; a successful YA should be just as, if not more complex than an adult book.
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

The premise of the story does sound interesting it's unfortunate that there is no depth or detail to the story. If there was, I'm sure this would've been a great book.

Great Review! 8)
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

The story sounds really interesting. The author needs to work on the book some more to attract more readers. Nice review.
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

worth reading
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”