Official Review: The Ordinary Life by Mario Kiefer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Preshgold73
Favorite Book: Yesterday
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preshgold73.html
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann

Re: Official Review: The Ordinary Life by Mario Kiefer

Post by Preshgold73 »

Sounds interesting and with lots of lessons to be learnt. Sexual abuse and psychological abuse has become a menace in our society. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: Yesterday by Samyann
todwyer01
Currently Reading: From the Fatherland with love
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-todwyer01.html

Post by todwyer01 »

From a sampling, this is an interesting story of two immigrant families coming to and working in America and the issues they are faced with. As a fiction, it is worth a second look.Well Done.
godreaujea
Currently Reading: Station Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 347
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-godreaujea.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by godreaujea »

I'm intrigued how the story follows the characters' lives from childhood to adulthood. Congrats to the author for BOTD!
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

Thanks for your review of this book. I found it helpful as the blurb left me feeling confused. The blurb talks about one character and then another but doesn't really give me a good idea of what this story is about. I don't think that this book will be a good fit for me though. I don't like that one of the main characters makes an assumption most likely based on rumors and stereotyping by potentially someone close to her. That puts me off concerning reading this book. At the end of the day though, prior to that, the blurb didn't pique my interest. I'm sure that others will enjoy reading this book.
bellaterrabooks
Currently Reading: On the Rez
Bookshelf Size: 256
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellaterrabooks.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by bellaterrabooks »

While the content might be somber given the overall topic of abuse, the lessons contained within overshadow the darkness. In the context of the story, Mateo takes on the role of survivor given that his background that is wrought with abuse. His commendable message of traveling lightly absence of baggage is elegant given the understandable tendency for those who have experienced trauma to hold onto those past experiences as a form of baggage. Perhaps this book may offer an assistive device for those healing through dark emotions.
wave_newd
Currently Reading: The Ordinary Life
Bookshelf Size: 8

Post by wave_newd »

Sounds like a fair review of a short novel. I will be adding this one to my bookshelf as it sounds like an interesting read. Certainly a work of fiction but according to the author based on a mixture of true events. Subject matter suggests perhaps some confronting content, but I suspect being only 310 pages that it will not be going into too much detail. Either way, I will be having a read.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

Sounds like a story that is worth a read to the reader interested in the story of an immigrant family and the issues they have. I personally don't like to read about abuse. Thank you for the review.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

Wow. This is such an interesting book. Does it mean that the Silicon mafia has their roots in Sicily? Quite funny that a person is implicated in the death of another person, yet there is no evidence pointing towards him.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Charmaine_216
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by Charmaine_216 »

Sample read 'The Ordinary Life.". Abuse in any form is always painful. Overcoming and that abuse, especially from a loved one, can be emotionally and mentally challenging but is doable. Healing ... comes from forgiving the one who is inflicting the abuse. Thanks for sharing your story!
CrescentMoon
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crescentmoon.html
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey

Post by CrescentMoon »

Wow this sounds like a really heavy book with a lot of important themes and touching on physical, psychological and sexual abuse is no easy task. Great and thorough review!
Latest Review: "Letorian Descendants- Casey Blane Series (Book 1)" by Jodi Ann Fahey
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

A book based on the life of an immigrant family in America. They experienced lots of ups and downs especially the occurrence of abuse on Violeta's children. Worth reading.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
yisellesuarez
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by yisellesuarez »

The Ordinary Life by Mario Kiefer is a novel about the survival and resiliency of a family trying to make it in the U.S.
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

This book seems boring. Even the description didn't even attract my attention. This is a no from me.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

I feel like the book was aptly summarized in your review. I don't think it's one I'm attracted to. It just doesn't appeal to me.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This is not the type of fiction to be read for escapism for me. I enjoy read stories revolving around the lives of the immigrants in America but I have to be prepared for this type of read.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”