Official Review: The Messenger by Joe D Bernard

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Official Review: The Messenger by Joe D Bernard

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Messenger" by Joe D Bernard.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Referring to The Messenger by Joe D. Bernard as a novel or novella seems a little inappropriate to me. I would most adequately qualify it as a journal. A very personal journal written by the author.

When I read the description of this book, I reckoned it would make an enlightening read, especially since it is in the non-fiction genre, I was right. To start with, the author introduces himself as the messenger. What is his message? His message is the information he intends to relay, the point of view he wishes his readers to consider, and the expanse of mind he prefers they operate on. After all, as he says on Page 14, “Your biggest enemy is ignorance...”

The author explains the tasking nature of his job. His boss gives him several assignments, questions mainly, and he comes up with answers. The foundation of the entire book is laid when he is given yet another assignment to decipher the meaning of ‘code.’ The author introduces concepts and themes from diverse aspects of life. Each subject is a code he then proceeds to explore. Included are the laws of quantum physics code, recreation code, snap decisions code, processor speed code, Marco Polo code, umbilical code, enigma code, time code, emotional intelligence code, propaganda code, just to name a few. He decodes each subject by explaining it.

I have to say I was amazed by the brilliance of the author’s mind. He attempted to explain what ‘why’ means.
He brought ordinary day-to-day concepts and proceeded to explain their meaning scientifically, using binary codes and algorithms. It was fascinating. It's no wonder he compares his mind with that of Albert Einstein, Professor Stephen Hawking, Rambo, Dr Martin Luther King Jr. and Confucius. He even compares the human mind with a PC. It was like reading through the thoughts of a genius.

That being said, this was not an easy book to read. It wasn’t properly organised and following the author’s trail of thoughts was admittedly frustrating and immensely difficult. It didn’t help that the book was designed in such a way that the reader feels he/she is going through the author's day with him. He would say, “Amen, don’t forget to brush your teeth. After prayers and go to bed early...” Page 15. Also on Page 18, “Until tomorrow and don’t forget your prayers, sleep well, my friend called ‘awe.’” I thought it was cute the first time. By the second time, I was wondering why the writer would assume I was going to bed. It was nowhere near my bedtime.

Concerning grammar and punctuation errors, this book held countless of them, evidenced in the quotations above. I had to read some sentences over again to at least grasp some meaning on what the author was trying to say. That really detracted from the flow of reading. Pages 7 and 8 of the copy I downloaded were completely blank. This book could really use the smooth hands of an editor.

If I had to mention one good thing about this book, it would be that it is enlightening; it offers a fresh point of view on many topics. Sadly, even that loses its value and intrigue if a book is not properly developed and the reader doesn’t feel like one with it.

Hence, I rate The Messenger By Joe D. Bernard as 2 out of 4 stars. I did not give it a 1-star rating (marking it as bad) because of the author's brilliance, and I also find something he said on Page 161 really thought-provoking. He said, “Education comes in many forms and is measured by academic qualification. However, it doesn’t always measure a person’s intelligence, common sense or ability. There are people who are not academically educated, but are very intelligent, in touch with their common-sense values...” I consider that a beautiful way to think.

I would recommend this book to patient readers interested in gathering new knowledge on issues regarding politics, science and psychology.

The Messenger
View: on Bookshelves

Like Ijeoma Kikelomo's review? Post a comment saying so!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

What seems disorganised to us may seem perfectly natural and obvious to someone of very high intelligence such as this author. Sounds like plenty of food for thought, anyway. I do enjoy thought-provoking books, although this one sounds like it was frustrating to read at times. Great review!
Rosemary Khathibe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-khathibe.html
Latest Review: Robotic Warriors by Caglar Juan Singletary

Post by Rosemary Khathibe »

Hmm, your review is intriguing and fun to read. I also find the book that tracks too long on the character's general everyday life boring. However, I like the author's IQ and his details on education.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

joshfee77 wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 23:13 What seems disorganised to us may seem perfectly natural and obvious to someone of very high intelligence such as this author. Sounds like plenty of food for thought, anyway. I do enjoy thought-provoking books, although this one sounds like it was frustrating to read at times. Great review!
Know what? I think you are right. Maybe people that operate on that level would really dig this hook. Thanks for your comment!
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

Rosemary Khathibe wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 02:29 Hmm, your review is intriguing and fun to read. I also find the book that tracks too long on the character's general everyday life boring. However, I like the author's IQ and his details on education.
Absolutely! At a point it just gets old. His take on education was very nice though. Thanks!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like a difficult book even without the grammatical and typographical errors you mention. I'm glad that you saw the author's brilliance. With an editor, perhaps the rest of us would be able to see that brilliance as well. The way it stands, I think I'll pass. Thanks, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

sounds like a great book to read, Where the reader has to unlock a puzzle since the the writer doesn't want to plainly present his ideas. This a must read for me.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 07:51 This sounds like a difficult book even without the grammatical and typographical errors you mention. I'm glad that you saw the author's brilliance. With an editor, perhaps the rest of us would be able to see that brilliance as well. The way it stands, I think I'll pass. Thanks, though.
Thanks for your comment!
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

fredrick otieno wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 08:05 sounds like a great book to read, Where the reader has to unlock a puzzle since the the writer doesn't want to plainly present his ideas. This a must read for me.
Hmm. Different strokes for different folks I guess. I hope you enjoy it. Thanks for your comment!
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

Your review is very detailed. This looks like a thought-provoking book for patient readers, however, I don't think I'll enjoy this. Thanks for the review
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

while it seems like an interesting story as you stated I do not have an interest in reading books that are not well edited. thanks for your review. i do not have an interest in this specific novel.
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Wow! A journal written by a person of high intellect is probably something I should read for my personal development, but editing errors and weird sentences are one of my pet hates. I'm impressed that you made it through until the end, and thanks for a thoughtful review.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

T_stone wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 18:05 Your review is very detailed. This looks like a thought-provoking book for patient readers, however, I don't think I'll enjoy this. Thanks for the review
Thank you for commenting!
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

evan1995muniz wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 18:26 while it seems like an interesting story as you stated I do not have an interest in reading books that are not well edited. thanks for your review. i do not have an interest in this specific novel.
I totally understand. Editing it would make it a much easier read. Thanks for your comment.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:

Caylie_Cat wrote: 23 Oct 2018, 19:49 Wow! A journal written by a person of high intellect is probably something I should read for my personal development, but editing errors and weird sentences are one of my pet hates. I'm impressed that you made it through until the end, and thanks for a thoughtful review.
Thanks for your comment! The author is really intelligent. Not even the grammar and punctuation errors could hide that.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”