Official Review: Behind Silent Smiles by Tanya J Peterson

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
KRay93
Currently Reading: The Bourne Identity
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kray93.html
Latest Review: Non-Disclosure by George Dapra

Official Review: Behind Silent Smiles by Tanya J Peterson

Post by KRay93 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Behind Silent Smiles" by Tanya J Peterson.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Behind Silent Smiles by Tanya J. Peterson is a fiction novel inspired by a true story. It follows the drama of Cătălina Gabor, a Romanian immigrant who lives with her two children in Sacramento, California. When she was young, her country was under the regime of President Ceauşescu. Her family struggled every day to get ahead and avoid getting in trouble with the Securitate, the secret police of the communist tyrant. Amid such a chaotic situation, a five-years-old Cătălina found it difficult to get the affection of her mother, her sisters, and her cousins, who constantly mistreated and belittled her.

Luckily for Cătălina, her grandmother was always there for her, making her feel loved and valued. It was only thanks to the lessons of her beloved Bunicuță that she managed to get through the horrors of communist Romania, from the countryside to the streets of Bucharest. But a horrible tragedy took her out of her life, leaving Cătălina with a family that never quite understood her. As an adult woman, a violent and abusive man named Dumitru came into her life. Although he made it possible for her two children to come to this world, he also left her with severe sequels of physical and psychological harm. After all, Cătălina is capable of loving others deeply in spite of unspeakable loss and abuse. But is she capable of giving herself the love she deserves?

Mrs. Peterson takes us on a painful and raw tale of a woman’s journey to love and be loved in return. Even as an adult, Cătălina always finds it hard to believe in herself and others. Every time she seems to run into people genuinely interested in her, Cătălina always questions herself and their intentions, fearing to be hurt or despised. She is an insecure and self-conscious woman, constantly pursued by the ghosts of her past, especially her abusive ex-husband. His son seems to understand her suffering, while her daughter is reluctant of her new life and treats her mother as badly as so many others have done throughout her life.

The prose of the author is simply magnificent. The internal struggles and doubts of the protagonist practically carry the story forward by themselves. Even the segments that narrate the life of a young Cătălina in Romania perfectly reflect her innocence and suffering, not to mention the social and political environment that the country was going through at the time. As for the editing work, although it is acceptable, it still misses a few double quotation marks in dialogues along with a couple of question marks in some sentences. Additionally, some paragraphs prove a bit extensive, even mixing dialog situations of multiple characters. While the reader will not be deprived of a continuous flow of reading, some further polishing would have benefitted this book.

Despite the drawbacks with the edition, I must admit that I found myself very immersed in this life story and I deeply enjoyed reading this book, even if it is not entirely my type of reading. To be honest, I think the most appropriate thing for me to do is to give this book 3.5 out of 4 stars, but having to choose between whole numbers, I am willing to give it 4 out of 4 stars. I recommend this book for those who enjoy reading life stories about overcoming adversities amid rough family circles. At the same time, I also recommend it to readers of historical fiction novels given Cătălina's past in communist Romania.

Behind Silent Smiles
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like KRay93's review? Post a comment saying so!
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

What a tragic story, first a difficult upbringing, then an abusive husband. I'm interested in reading this book to find out how Catalina surmounts these difficulties. Thanks for your review!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Life in communist countries intrigues me. I think because it's so different from how I live. It sounds like this would be a great book to delve into that subject. I'll put it on my list. Thanks for the nice review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Caylie_Cat
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-caylie-cat.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Caylie_Cat »

Thank you for a thoughtful review that makes the book sound appealing to me, if sad. I am always amazed at how strong some people are and how they cope with adversity.
wendos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wendos.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by wendos »

You have a wonderful review that analyses the story perfectly. I was just wondering why the daughter carries on her mother's suffering? to bad that Cătălina went through all that.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

This seems like a truly inspirational story where the protagonist surmounts all odds to find love for herself. It's worth reading. Thanks for the insightful review!
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

This sounds likes a very inspiring story. It makes us realize why people want to get to this country. I like your explanation about the rating you gave the book.
writer808
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-writer808.html
Latest Review: The Chest of Visions by Tim Ferguson

Post by writer808 »

Nice story. I loved the title of the book.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”