Official Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Abigail R
Currently Reading: The Problem of Pain
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abigail-r.html
Latest Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Official Review: My Prism Window by P. A. Schweizer

Post by Abigail R »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "My Prism Window" by P. A. Schweizer.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Tiring of her life in Switzerland, Emily takes the opportunity of a lifetime in America. She says goodbye to her family and takes a job as an Au Pair in New Jersey. This new adventure leads her to meet the love of her life and fiancé, John Joseph. Soon after her host family moves, Emily finds herself working for a new family that is full of drama. One rainy afternoon, John Joseph stops by the new family's house to drop something off for Emily and he is murdered in front of their home. With no witnesses, save for a traumatized child, the murder of John Joseph is pinned on a heartbroken Emily.

We first meet Emily waiting in prison on death row for the murder of her fiancé. Emily's soul is at peace with the upcoming execution, her mind is only on finally being reunited with her love. Throughout the novel, Emily moves between her prison cell and what she calls her "prism" window. While at her window, Emily daydreams of her life in the States and of her love, John Joseph. Slowly, the reader discovers more and more of her life with John Joseph leading up to his murder. The shifts made between her mundane life in the prison and her daydreaming of life outside are abrupt with no transition. This was a wonderfully effective way of allowing the reader to experience the emotions of Emily, a supposedly innocent woman who has been imprisoned for the murder of her only love. Emily lives for the only purpose of going to this window and remembering what was and what could have been.

My Prism Window by P.A. Schweizer is a unique and fascinating read. The abrupt changes in setting place the reader right into the world of Emily and allow them to have a front seat to all of her emotions, frustrations, and heartaches. This book successfully sheds light on this country's broken justice system and leaves the reader wondering about wrongful convictions and executions.

This book does have some murder mystery aspects as we do not know who killed John Joseph until the very end. Though Emily is very insistent that she is innocent, I couldn't help wondering throughout the book if maybe she was lying or insane. I think this book would appeal to anyone who likes mysteries, especially ones with little to no gore. The story itself is gripping and I very much wanted to know how it ended but it was not a fast-paced, "edge of your seat" type of book. If someone is looking for an interesting book but one that is a break from very intense stories, this would be the perfect one!

While reading the book, I found three very minor typos but they did not distract from the story. Overall, it was professionally edited and well-written. Because of its professional editing and gripping story, I would rate My Prism Window 4 out of 4 stars.

My Prism Window
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Abigail R's review? Post a comment saying so!
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

Judging from your review, this book is a gripping murder mystery yet moves at a pace that allows the readers to empathize with "the supposedly innocent" Emily. I am pinning this to my TR list. Thanks for the review!
Laura Ungureanu
Favorite Book: The Book Thief
Currently Reading: The Guardians of Erum and the Calamitous Child of Socotra
Bookshelf Size: 1392
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-ungureanu.html
Latest Review: Love and Marriage by Arthur Hartz

Post by Laura Ungureanu »

Wow, speaking about bad turn outs...Emily seems so unlucky. I am sorry that the writing wasn't fast-paced, I enjoy that the most in a book. Very nice review!
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I tend to prefer faster paced books, but I think the plot of this book might may it worth the read. Thank you for your review.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Abigail R

Post by Abigail R »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 00:45 Judging from your review, this book is a gripping murder mystery yet moves at a pace that allows the readers to empathize with "the supposedly innocent" Emily. I am pinning this to my TR list. Thanks for the review!
It is well worth the read! I enjoyed it very much. Thanks for your comment.
Abigail R

Post by Abigail R »

daydreaming reader wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 19:46 I tend to prefer faster paced books, but I think the plot of this book might may it worth the read. Thank you for your review.
The pace is slower than other stories but overall interesting enough to keep reading! I had to know what became of Emily's story.
Thanks for your comment!
Abigail R

Post by Abigail R »

Laura Bach wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 03:45 Wow, speaking about bad turn outs...Emily seems so unlucky. I am sorry that the writing wasn't fast-paced, I enjoy that the most in a book. Very nice review!
Thanks for your comment!
jcoad
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jcoad.html
Latest Review: True Blue Friend by Roy DeMauro

Post by jcoad »

Great concept for a book. I love the concept and the not really knowing who the true murderer is until the end. Glad I found this book. Thanks for the great review!
Abigail R

Post by Abigail R »

jcoad wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 20:40 Great concept for a book. I love the concept and the not really knowing who the true murderer is until the end. Glad I found this book. Thanks for the great review!
I hope you get the opportunity to read it and enjoy it as much as I did!
Onyinye Excel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinye-excel.html
Latest Review: The Different Kinds Of Monsters by Seth Chambers

Post by Onyinye Excel »

Emily going to prison for what she did not do sounds intriguing.I would love to read this book.Thanks
Abigail R

Post by Abigail R »

Onyinye Excel wrote: 29 Sep 2018, 07:03 Emily going to prison for what she did not do sounds intriguing.I would love to read this book.Thanks
It’s a very well written story, I hope you get the chance to read it!
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Since it is an emotional overview of a prisoner, I don't think that I will like this book very much. Anyway thanks for the comprehensive review 👍👍
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I'm so glad I fell across your review. This sounds like an absolutely fascinating read. I will definitely be adding this book to my shelves.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”