Official Review: A Day in Eternity

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fiction books or series that do not fit into one of the other categories. If the fiction book fits into one the other categories, please use that category instead.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3038
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Re: Official Review: A Day in Eternity

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The review is very elaborate and full of wonderful insights as well. Thanks a lot for it. I enjoyed reading it. The book seems to be nice except for the little issues such as excessive descriptions which always tend to be boring for those who may not be into some activities such as flying. I will have to read it.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

Based on the review I don’t think this is the book I want to read. I usually like romance novels but I don’t like the plot of the story. I also don’t have much interest in reading about planes and I don’t like the characters personalities.
David Koreas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-koreas.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by David Koreas »

I a great lover of romance novels. It seems like romance is the novels central theme. John Magee and Elinor"s love life was interesting.
Shas F
Currently Reading: Monsters in the Hallway
Bookshelf Size: 255
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shas-f.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by Shas F »

Having read the first few chapters of A Day in Eternity by Kathryn Gabriel Loving, I'm struck by the sweet but mature and realistic depiction of the romance between Anson Roe and Vivianne. Loving does a good job of making them talk, think and act like people you would actually meet in life. They exist and are real and not idealistic constructs. So I'm glad to note that in the official review, AA1495 expresses frustration with the way Anson Roe treats Vivianne and would love to see her leave him. That's a sign we have a real human story here. I'm sure the substantial characterization of the protagonists serves as a great foundation for the subsequent chapters after Anson Roe crashes his plane, wakes up, encounters and is rescued by another pilot John Magee, who turns out to be a poet. What happened before Anson Roe crashes his plane and meets Magee? Where is Vivianne? Who is John? AA1495 teases a shocking discovery. This is a novel about ambition, relationships and philosophies on life and living. The mystery surrounding the main protagonists is a way to heighten their struggles and road to realization. People 30 and above who are living their lives ought to give this book a chance. I also think readers of any age who have made big decisions in their lives will appreciate this.
ezackwoo044
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by ezackwoo044 »

Wow its so nice interesting and also addictive to it.
Its great that it contains a rich plot with romance philosophical snippets and mystery.I will be interested in those provoking quotes. Still,the excessive detail on plane sounds like a deal breaker.However am still willing to give it a try.
iamkhan

Post by iamkhan »

quite interesting, i enjoyed it while reading. I think I would love this book. Judged by the cover, I took it for an inspirational book, but later found out otherwise.
Pamela chebet Ruto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Pamela chebet Ruto »

I never expected the plot of the book .l love romance but l thought its talking about religious or ruptures .Thanks for thorough review
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

I appreciate this thorough review. I was intrigued that there was a game changer within the novel. This would definitely pique my interest. I would consider adding this one to my booklist.
Rodrigo Niguez
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rodrigo-niguez.html
Latest Review: Bluewater Walkabout by Tina Dreffin

Post by Rodrigo Niguez »

The novel a day in eternity is fictional novel about a British pilot who loses his memory following an aircrash. He can't remember anything. That is tragic and traumatic. However, with the help of his friends and wife he manages to build up his life after the tragedy.
Glitxh

Post by Glitxh »

AA1495 wrote: 26 Oct 2016, 22:17 [Following is the official review of "A Day in Eternity" by Kathryn Gabriel Loving.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Review: A Day in Eternity by Kathryn Gabriel Loving

When British pilot Anson Roe regains consciousness after crashing his airplane, he is in extreme pain and can’t seem to remember the events leading to his present state. Spitfire pilot John Magee comes to his rescue. With much in common, Anson Roe and John Magee discuss their experiences with flying, travelling and falling in love. In the process, Anson Roe recollects the events that he had forgotten.

Anson Roe has a relatively stable life, with his job (spraying crops from his airplane) and his relationship with Vivianne (who writes about crops and agriculture for a living). However, he's frustrated due to issues with his immigration status, among other things. Certain events and circumstances lead to Anson and Vivianne leaving America to proceed to England. This change in place of residence does little to help Anson with his frustration. This time, he is frustrated with Vivianne, since he thinks that she is doing very little to get a stable job and fit into his life. How will this frustration affect their relationship? What happens when Anson receives major shocks, both personally and professionally?

John Magee is spellbound with Elinor, his high school sweetheart. To impress her, he begins writing poetry. While the poetry impresses her father (the master of the school), it does little to change Elinor's views about him. Soon, Elinor leaves the country and the only connection that remains between them is their mutual love for poetry. John Magee, who is passionate about fighting for his country, joins the airforce during war. While he is known to have brilliant skills, he often finds himself in tricky situations, at times due to his own carelessness. What happens when John and Elinor reunite after years? More importantly, will John survive the war?

As Anson Roe regains his memory, he makes a shocking discovery. What the discovery is and how he deals with it forms the most interesting part of the plot. This twist came at a point when I least expected it and changed my entire impression about the book. While the author had given a few clues in the previous chapters, the revelation surprised me and made the plot more interesting for me.

The book has elements of romance, mystery and philosophy. Being a fan of the romance genre, I was happy that the romantic relationships of Anson-Vivianne and John-Elinor were described in detail. The stories of the couples were realistic and had apt endings. Overall, I was happy with the romance angle of the book.

The mystery element of the book made the plot interesting. The strange situation of the protagonist creates curiousness in the reader. The mystery begins at the beginning of the book, with the protagonist's memory loss, and lasts almost throughout the book.

What I wasn't expecting in the book was the significant amount of philosophical content. There were certain quotes that made me think and reflect. This philosophy affects the plot and takes the book to a whole new level. In my opinion, it made the book inspirational.

While I liked the plot and the romance, mystery and philosophical aspects in it, I had two major concerns with the book. Firstly, I couldn't connect with the main characters. Anson is highly ambitious, but takes his personal relationships for granted. I did not like the way he treated Vivianne, and I wanted her to leave him (which is unusual considering I'm a fan of romance stories). While I understand that this character trait was important for the plot, not being able to understand and connect with the protagonist spoilt the reading experience a little for me.

Secondly, I thought that the descriptions were excessive. There were elaborate descriptions of planes and flying experiences. For people who aren't interested in (or know much about) planes, it could be a deal breaker. These excessive descriptions made me lose my flow of reading numerous times. Shorter descriptions would have worked better and wouldn't have affected the plot.

In terms of language, the book was easy to read and follow. The book seemed to be professionally edited and I found no obvious grammatical mistakes. The story is told from Anson and John’s perspectives, which help the reader gain insight into their thoughts. There are certain transitions in the narrative (John’s story, Anson’s current state and his memory), which the author has handled well. The pace of the plot is affected by the elaborate descriptions. However, overall, I thought the book was easy to understand.

Lastly, I thought that the author had given the book considerable time and effort. Many historical events, physics theories and philosophical concepts have been referred to in the book. It is evident from the descriptions provided in the book that the author has researched extensively over these subjects. Proper citations and acknowledgements have also been provided. Further, I liked the fact that small incidents and observations that are described in the first few chapters play a major role towards the end of the book. This tells me that the plot and narrative were properly planned.

What I liked best about the book was the philosophical element it had. The philosophical element added significantly to the plot, while also making the book inspiring. What I liked least about the book was its protagonist. I thought he was selfish and simply blamed others for his own frustrations. I found myself rooting for Vivianne, rather than for Anson. I would have liked the book more with a slightly kinder protagonist.

I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars. I thought the book had a unique and interesting plot. Further, it is evident that the author has put in considerable effort into the book. However, I would have liked a kinder protagonist and shorter descriptions. I would recommend this book to anyone who likes mystery with a little bit of philosophy and romance.

A Day in Eternity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like AA1495's review? Post a comment saying so!
TBH I really like the plot of the story although I am not a fan of Romance I feel I'd really enjoy reading the book. Great review
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

The plot of the book seem interesting but I'll pass. I don't want to read a book that I can't connect with Anson, the protagonist. That fact discourages me. I hope he becomes kind to Vivianne and it has a happy ending. Congratulations to the author for winning BOTD.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Romance, mystery, and philosophy are an interesting combination. The excessive descriptions would definitely turn me off, so I'll have to pass on this one. Thank you for the detailed review!
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Woah, based on your review, this one seems thoughtful and thought-provoking. A beautiful story that explains how we live our lives and why. It might take time for me to read this since it's not my cup of tea but will sure try. Thank
asaltares
Currently Reading: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016
Bookshelf Size: 232

Post by asaltares »

For me it has to have a little more than romance and mystery. For others may be a great read. That is why I will share. Not into romance now so not for me. But feel free to try it. Clear and easy read. Congrats.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

This book sounds interesting. I like mystery books that also have romance. The plot seems intriguing too. I also like hearing that the book was well researched and had philosophical situations. It's weird that the book features too many plane and flying descriptions. Thanks for your review.

Return to “Other Fiction Forum”