A Coming-of-Age Story?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

A Coming-of-Age Story?

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Would you describe the novel as a coming-of-age story or even a buildungsroman? If so, which characters are on a path to maturity and wisdom? Are there any characters that stagnate or others on a descending path?
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

What is a buildungsroman? I've never heard of that before.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 07:46 Would you describe the novel as a coming-of-age story or even a buildungsroman? If so, which characters are on a path to maturity and wisdom? Are there any characters that stagnate or others on a descending path?
I also haven't heard of a "buildungsroman"... But I think that the author's intent was this to be a coming-of-age story, especially Adam and to some lesser extent Carly (regarding her and Dauma fusing ) but I also think it fell flat.

I think the other Descendants Carly and Adam meet are pretty stagnant. It seems like they are only there to be used, such as Rye... she's a quick fix to allow the characters to move long distances in a short time frame and that's really her only value.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Cristina Chifane
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

djr6090 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 09:36 What is a buildungsroman? I've never heard of that before.
Sorry, I've accidentally added an extra "u". It's "bildungsroman", a genre dealing with the psychological and moral development of a character; it usually follows the character's growth from his/her birth and childhood to his maturity years, sometimes throughout his/her entire life. For example, novels like Charles Dickens' "David Copperfield'" or "Great Expectations" are famous novels belonging to this genre.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

cristinaro wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 11:19
djr6090 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 09:36 What is a buildungsroman? I've never heard of that before.
Sorry, I've accidentally added an extra "u". It's "bildungsroman", a genre dealing with the psychological and moral development of a character; it usually follows the character's growth from his/her birth and childhood to his maturity years, sometimes throughout his/her entire life. For example, novels like Charles Dickens' "David Copperfield'" or "Great Expectations" are famous novels belonging to this genre.
hmmm interesting... that may have been the intent of the author, but I don't think she achieved that goal
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Thank you for the explanation. But I don't think (i)Opaque(/i) compares to Dickens.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

What age would be maturity years?
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

djr6090 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 19:40
Thank you for the explanation. But I don't think (i)Opaque(/i) compares to Dickens.
I agree 100 %. I think we are trying to make this book much more that it is.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Nym182 wrote: 15 Feb 2020, 12:14
hmmm interesting... that may have been the intent of the author, but I don't think she achieved that goal
I can't for the life of me understand what the intent was. Because I clearly can NOT connect the first and second parts of the book. It is like intent changed.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I guess a coming-of-age story, especially for Adam. I think Carly may be descending since the loss of her parents. She can't accept it and she is becoming angry over it. Anger is a part of the grief process, but she seems to be getting stuck in that stage of grief. I wonder how she will be in the next book in the series? Hopefully moving on!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

I think this definitely is a coming of age story. However, Adam's character is like a roller coaster goes up and down, Carly is pretty stagnant, and I think the side characters have no development what so ever so They too can be stated as stagnant.
OfficialEmma
Currently Reading: The Shattered Vase
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-officialemma.html
Latest Review: Ripcord Recovery by T.T. Sawyer

Post by OfficialEmma »

I will say the author should have slowed down so as to properly develop the characters. Adam developed more than others. And this book doesn't meet up with a coming-of-age book. However, the tale is an interesting one.
If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, do things worth writing about or write things worth reading about.
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

Yes, your idea is a good suggestion. Adam is on his way to maturity. There no stagnate characters, only that they were not as well developed as Adam was.
That Reviewer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-that-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Unspoken Things The Inlightenment by Wilfred Thomas

Post by That Reviewer »

Bildungsroman? Haven't heard that before. I'm going to look deeper and see how that genre works.

For your question, if I consider Adam's life journey, I would say this book passes for a coming-of-age story.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

OfficialEmma wrote: 17 Feb 2020, 03:27 I will say the author should have slowed down so as to properly develop the characters. Adam developed more than others. And this book doesn't meet up with a coming-of-age book. However, the tale is an interesting one.
Yes, definitely the story is a unique one. It is rare to see such dark mental states tackled in a YA story.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”