Twists and turns [SPOILERS]

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Fi Zoraa
Favorite Author: Nalini Singh
Favorite Book: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fifizora.html
Latest Review: Echo of the Past by Rosemary Blake
fav_author_id: 2885

Re: Twists and turns [SPOILERS]

Post by Fi Zoraa »

arigray9 wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 01:04 I thought all the twists were really interesting (Adam having a twin, Alexandra being alive, them both being part of the Iksha, Vikki’s arc, JoAnn and the serum, Dauma’s merging, and more) but at some point it felt like there were too many plot points thrown together. I would have liked to see more development into some of the twists (especially Adam’s orgin and family) rather than what seemed like wild events thrown in for shock value. Dauma basically told Carly “oh by the way, Alexandra’s alive and part of the Iksha” and then merged with her before we could get any more detail. All the turns are super interesting, I just want to know more without having to read a whole second and possibly third before things are tied together. It’s good to include points of interest to move the plot forward, but a lot of the book felt like an exposition for things to come.
I agree. At some point, it just felt like too many different elements were being thrown in. If the author had developed a few of these further, the other things could've been revealed later on in a more organic way. I hope the author is setting things up to fully explore them in the next books.
Ruchi Raina
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruchi-raina.html
Latest Review: House of Ashes by Margaret Blythe

Post by Ruchi Raina »

I think the merger was the biggest surprise for me as Dauma was such a strong character and I didn't think that she would sacrifice herself so that she can make Carly powerful enough to end the Iksha.
Nivedita BookBee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nivedita-bookbee.html
Latest Review: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit? by Kyle Oh

Post by Nivedita BookBee »

The second half of the book was literally filled with them. I think most shocking was the fact that Adam and Vikkie share the same father, I really didn't see that coming, when I think about Adam's twin I was expecting it to be a boy!

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”