Thoughts on Ending??

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Re: Thoughts on Ending??

Post by Nym182 »

gilliansisley wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 13:08
Chelsearoses wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 18:15
gilliansisley wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 14:10 So, unpopular opinion, but I hated Adam throughout the whole book for what he did to Terry, and I was hoping he'd be the one to get offed, because as I read the entire book the only thing I could ever think of was, "When is there going to be some damn justice for Terry's murder!?"
Honestly I agree, I was a little bothered at how casual Carly took it with him. Terry very much dismissed and quite easily. I don't feel there was any justice for her.
She did deserve better, part of me thinks Carly and her friend she worked with might have been a better match?? But there was obviously the power pull between Carly and Adam
Amen, sister. Couldn't agree more!

I totally liked Kane until he kissed Carly by the door, when he knew she had a boyfriend. Granted, she shouldn't have been snuggling up on the couch with him, because mixed signals, but still.

The slap was warranted. I was peeved when she apologized for it.
omg me too! She was so distraught about it and concerned about how their friendship was going to be maintained... she's such a wet blanket sometimes!
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

It really should of ended with a cliff hanger if the author intends to write another part because as it is it does not make me want to continue.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 12:13
Vin Doobs wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 00:27 I wasn't able to finish reading this book, but I hope to get back to it. This is a bold take on the vampire-superhero genre. I want to see how it ends.
Vampire-Superhero? Just curious, where did you get the vampire part from?
Yes, I do not think there was any blood-sucking yet in the story.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

AntoineOMEGA wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 17:24 It really should of ended with a cliff hanger if the author intends to write another part because as it is it does not make me want to continue.
Yes, the book ended on a rather calm note.
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearoses.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Chelsearoses »

gilliansisley wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 13:08
Chelsearoses wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 18:15
gilliansisley wrote: 07 Feb 2020, 14:10 So, unpopular opinion, but I hated Adam throughout the whole book for what he did to Terry, and I was hoping he'd be the one to get offed, because as I read the entire book the only thing I could ever think of was, "When is there going to be some damn justice for Terry's murder!?"
Honestly I agree, I was a little bothered at how casual Carly took it with him. Terry very much dismissed and quite easily. I don't feel there was any justice for her.
She did deserve better, part of me thinks Carly and her friend she worked with might have been a better match?? But there was obviously the power pull between Carly and Adam
Amen, sister. Couldn't agree more!

I totally liked Kane until he kissed Carly by the door, when he knew she had a boyfriend. Granted, she shouldn't have been snuggling up on the couch with him, because mixed signals, but still.

The slap was warranted. I was peeved when she apologized for it.
I agree also, the kiss wasn't warranted and she shouldn't have apologized. I get hanging out with friends, I think she needed that other friendship in him, but agreed, I wouldn't be cuddling on the couch, but also the kiss wasn't needed.
"In every Heaven you'll find some Hell.And there's a welcome in each farewell.Life can be harsh the future strict, who would dare predict.So let's be happy, forever happy, completely happy. And a tiny bit sad."Happy/Sad-Addams Family Musical
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsearoses »

B Creech wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 11:21 I held my breath wondering if she was!
Right? I literally had to stop and go "wait, what?" I had to take a couple seconds, wondering why would she...what would that have been necessary?
"In every Heaven you'll find some Hell.And there's a welcome in each farewell.Life can be harsh the future strict, who would dare predict.So let's be happy, forever happy, completely happy. And a tiny bit sad."Happy/Sad-Addams Family Musical
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsearoses »

Nym182 wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 18:55
Howlan wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 05:42
Nym182 wrote: 06 Feb 2020, 15:05 nah, i never thought that she was gone... plus the "suspense" of it was resolved like... instantly.
Totally true. No chance was given to grieve for Carly as she was revived.
The author could have totally kept her resurrection until the next book... it would be interesting to see how Adam would have reacted...
True, fair point to make. It was rather quick, barely a page if I remember right before we found out she hadn't really gone. I had still had to pause ha for a quick second.
Salma_asa
Currently Reading: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-asa.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Post by Salma_asa »

I think it would have been really absurd if she had died. I see no rational reason for her to die. She is a mature and responsible character. She can easily control her without having to kill herself.
Ria710
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ria710.html
Latest Review: The Magic Lantern by Charles Townsend

Post by Ria710 »

SPOILERS

I did think Carly was gone at the end, but at the same time, I knew that they won't kill her off because of how far they came and the impact she had on Adam. She made Adam a complete person.
kaylahk17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylahk17.html
Latest Review: The Chamberland Maze Run by Justin A. Evans

Post by kaylahk17 »

I did not think Carly would die. The amount of time building her character up made me think her character was needed and evolving. I did think Adam would at least attempt to save her somehow and either become seriously injured or he would be the fatality.
Nym182
Currently Reading: Harley Quinn
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nym182.html
Latest Review: Homecoming: The Unari Experiment Book 1 by Brian L. Harad

Post by Nym182 »

kaylahk17 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 13:53 I did not think Carly would die. The amount of time building her character up made me think her character was needed and evolving. I did think Adam would at least attempt to save her somehow and either become seriously injured or he would be the fatality.
That would have been a more interesting ending in my opinion... I would have loved to see Carly go from a perfect girl to becoming a bit jaded - kinda Jean-Grey/Dark Phoenix kinda angle... Especially since she is so powerful. It would be interesting to see how she would handle such a situation with so much power at her disposal and let herself unleash, especially cause she has spent so much time controlling her powers.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming “Wow! What a Ride!” HST
Corina Elena
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-corinaelena.html
Latest Review: Guilt by David Taylor Black

Post by Corina Elena »

Although I did enjoy the book, I felt a little bit weird about the ending. Still having some mixed feelings to be honest...
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Chelsearoses wrote: 11 Feb 2020, 06:08
Nym182 wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 18:55
Howlan wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 05:42

Totally true. No chance was given to grieve for Carly as she was revived.
The author could have totally kept her resurrection until the next book... it would be interesting to see how Adam would have reacted...
True, fair point to make. It was rather quick, barely a page if I remember right before we found out she hadn't really gone. I had still had to pause ha for a quick second.
Yes, that was really not necessary.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

kaylahk17 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 13:53 I did not think Carly would die. The amount of time building her character up made me think her character was needed and evolving. I did think Adam would at least attempt to save her somehow and either become seriously injured or he would be the fatality.
Adam dying would be totally unapproved off as he is the central character in the series apart from Carly, the whole story revolves around him.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Nym182 wrote: 12 Feb 2020, 14:49
That would have been a more interesting ending in my opinion... I would have loved to see Carly go from a perfect girl to becoming a bit jaded - kinda Jean-Grey/Dark Phoenix kinda angle... Especially since she is so powerful. It would be interesting to see how she would handle such a situation with so much power at her disposal and let herself unleash, especially cause she has spent so much time controlling her powers.
Yes that would have a good plot line going in for the next sequel. I feel that such would have happened to Adam to sure if Carly died, considering how emotionally unstable he is.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”