Carly and Kane's friendship

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Carly and Kane's friendship

Post by Brenda Creech »

Carly and Kane formed a close friendship and hung out together sometimes. Kane knew that Carly and Adam were a couple, but he kept hoping Carly would fall for him. The night her aunt was out of town, and Carly invited Kane over for dinner, and he kissed her, was she justified in her reaction of slapping him? Or do you feel she brought it on herself? I feel like she dressed to get his attention with her pink off-the-shoulder sweater. They snuggled up together on the couch, so when he was leaving and kissed her before he went out the door, and she slapped him, I felt like it was a little too harsh. What are your thoughts on this? Was Carly right in how she handled the kiss? Was there a better way to handle the situation between friends?
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I can see how Kane would be thrown off a bit from being invited over and being a close friend to Carly. I do not think Carly should have slapped him, but that was her first reaction to what she thought Kane had crossed over a boundary set in her mind. Maybe this would be a lesson to Carly on how to remain friends, but more careful how time would be spent together from then on.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

LV2R wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 00:35 I can see how Kane would be thrown off a bit from being invited over and being a close friend to Carly. I do not think Carly should have slapped him, but that was her first reaction to what she thought Kane had crossed over a boundary set in her mind. Maybe this would be a lesson to Carly on how to remain friends, but more careful how time would be spent together from then on.
I agree! I think Carly kind off provoked it by wearing an off-the-shoulder top and by snuggling up with him on the couch. She knew Kane liked her as more than a friend! Thanks for commenting!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

B Creech wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 16:18 Carly and Kane formed a close friendship and hung out together sometimes. Kane knew that Carly and Adam were a couple, but he kept hoping Carly would fall for him. The night her aunt was out of town, and Carly invited Kane over for dinner, and he kissed her, was she justified in her reaction of slapping him? Or do you feel she brought it on herself? I feel like she dressed to get his attention with her pink off-the-shoulder sweater. They snuggled up together on the couch, so when he was leaving and kissed her before he went out the door, and she slapped him, I felt like it was a little too harsh. What are your thoughts on this? Was Carly right in how she handled the kiss? Was there a better way to handle the situation between friends?
I think she provoked this on herself. And talking more deeply... I know it's just a book. But what it teaches kids? In real life, if a girl doesn't want to be kissed, she won't be. That's if the boy isn't abusive... I mean, I've watched nowadays kids and noticed attitude of girls. As if they don't want attention, but they do. I think they caught it in movies and books lol
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

skindrukas wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 11:47
B Creech wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 16:18 Carly and Kane formed a close friendship and hung out together sometimes. Kane knew that Carly and Adam were a couple, but he kept hoping Carly would fall for him. The night her aunt was out of town, and Carly invited Kane over for dinner, and he kissed her, was she justified in her reaction of slapping him? Or do you feel she brought it on herself? I feel like she dressed to get his attention with her pink off-the-shoulder sweater. They snuggled up together on the couch, so when he was leaving and kissed her before he went out the door, and she slapped him, I felt like it was a little too harsh. What are your thoughts on this? Was Carly right in how she handled the kiss? Was there a better way to handle the situation between friends?
I think she provoked this on herself. And talking more deeply... I know it's just a book. But what it teaches kids? In real life, if a girl doesn't want to be kissed, she won't be. That's if the boy isn't abusive... I mean, I've watched nowadays kids and noticed attitude of girls. As if they don't want attention, but they do. I think they caught it in movies and books lol
LOL! I think you are right! Thanks for commenting! :tiphat:
B. Creech
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I don't think an off-the-shoulder sweater to be a turn-on for a dude, though there is definitely something out there for everyone.

I think it was more the author trying to add sexual tension through a love triangle than any actual misbehavior on Carly's part.

Though I agree that the snuggling can definitely be misread by a guy, especially if they already have feelings for the girl.
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

mariana90 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 15:02 I don't think an off-the-shoulder sweater to be a turn-on for a dude, though there is definitely something out there for everyone.

I think it was more the author trying to add sexual tension through a love triangle than any actual misbehavior on Carly's part.

Though I agree that the snuggling can definitely be misread by a guy, especially if they already have feelings for the girl.
You make a very good point about the author trying to add sexual tension through a love triangle! Thanks for commenting. :tiphat:
B. Creech
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

I think Kane knew she was in a relationship. Just because Carly chose to wear a sweater, that doesn't mean Kane just gets to forget that Carly is in a relationship. Now I wouldn't say she should have resorted to violence, but all of that anger is fair, because Carly is the one who felt the guilt when faced by Adam again. It was wrong for Kane to take advantage of her in that way. No matter what she had on, or how she fell asleep accidentally.
sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

DragonLight877 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 22:20 I think Kane knew she was in a relationship. Just because Carly chose to wear a sweater, that doesn't mean Kane just gets to forget that Carly is in a relationship. Now I wouldn't say she should have resorted to violence, but all of that anger is fair, because Carly is the one who felt the guilt when faced by Adam again. It was wrong for Kane to take advantage of her in that way. No matter what she had on, or how she fell asleep accidentally.
I completely completely agree with this -- mentioning her clothes as a reason for Kane kissing her feels almost like blaming the victim, and though snuggling may have given him the wrong idea, it's also something non-romantic friends do. Carly's first reaction was to slap him, and in the moment I believe it can be justified.
DragonLight877
Favorite Author: Patrick Rothfuss
Favorite Book: The Slow Regard of Silent Things
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonlight877.html
Latest Review: Shepherds of Destiny by Kiel Barnekov
fav_author_id: 3201

Post by DragonLight877 »

sevencrows I don't know how you did that add-on statement to my post, but not only do teens at that age not see cuddling as unusual in a friendship, but she didn't even mean to. She had fallen asleep and accidentally leaned on him. So its not even like she consciously cuddled Kane.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

The whole thing was a bit cliche. I also feel it was a bit like a tv sitcom in normalizing behavior that is typically not ok in real life. As snappy and jazzy as a young lady slapping a fresh young man across the face may read or play on the screen, violently laying hands on others tends to escalate most situations. At best it will sour a friendship, at worst it is assault.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

DragonLight877 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 22:20 I think Kane knew she was in a relationship. Just because Carly chose to wear a sweater, that doesn't mean Kane just gets to forget that Carly is in a relationship. Now I wouldn't say she should have resorted to violence, but all of that anger is fair, because Carly is the one who felt the guilt when faced by Adam again. It was wrong for Kane to take advantage of her in that way. No matter what she had on, or how she fell asleep accidentally.
I agree! Kane knew she was in a relationship with Adam. I felt the slap was too harsh, but I guess it was a gut reaction on Carly's part. :eusa-think:
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

thaservices1 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 02:30 The whole thing was a bit cliche. I also feel it was a bit like a tv sitcom in normalizing behavior that is typically not ok in real life. As snappy and jazzy as a young lady slapping a fresh young man across the face may read or play on the screen, violently laying hands on others tends to escalate most situations. At best it will sour a friendship, at worst it is assault.
It was definitely cliche. I thought it would ruin their relationship, but I hadn't considered it being taken as assault, but in the present day, that is a great point! Thanks for commenting! :tiphat:
B. Creech
Brenda Creech
Currently Reading:

Post by Brenda Creech »

DragonLight877 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 22:40 sevencrows I don't know how you did that add-on statement to my post, but not only do teens at that age not see cuddling as unusual in a friendship, but she didn't even mean to. She had fallen asleep and accidentally leaned on him. So its not even like she consciously cuddled Kane.
She did fall asleep accidentally, but when they first sat down on the couch she allowed him to sit close enough to put his arm across the back of the couch behind her. I think Kane was out of line putting her in that position, but Carly didn't correct it so Kane took it a step farther when he kissed her. Thanks for commenting! :tiphat:
B. Creech
Nonso Samuelson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 166
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonso-samuelson.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Nonso Samuelson »

I'm not on either side of this one. Carly may have been suggestive with her wardrobe choice and behavior around Kane. But they both knew that Carly was with someone else. So I think they were both at fault for the kiss and the slap. The better solution would have been setting boundaries to their friendship long before they got to the snuggle/slap point.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”