Terry

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Re: Terry

Post by Howlan »

Yes but showed us how crazy Adam is. As a ya it should be left out certainly but considering how the book is placed at this moment, I think that part was nessesaru to portray Adam as a psychopath.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jocelyn-eastman.html
Latest Review: Phoenix by Patricia Simpson

Post by Jocelyn Eastman »

Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 13:30
CYSON DOROPH wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 13:10 Having read the story in entirety, this is what I thought about Adam, Terry and Kelly: I think Adam did not know how to put into words and actions the feelings he had for Terry, hence employing the wrong tactic yielding into a life long request. With Carly, there exists a perfect excuse. This is both being school and classmates.
Adam was attracted to Terry because she looked like his mother. So he kidnaps her and takes her to his sex cave. And Terry gets killed on her own knife. Really ridiculous.
In fact, Adam kinda stalked Terry because she looked like his mother- even before the kidnapping and death.

With Carly his behavior is possessive and also ridiculous.
supraja_prasad
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Burn Zones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supraja-prasad.html
Latest Review: Doppelgänger by Marc J. Seifer
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by supraja_prasad »

One thing I always wondered about Terry was this. When a character is introduced in any literary work, they have a purpose. So, I was hoping that Terry and her terrible end would be revisited in detail. Like how Vikki's purpose was discussed... Maybe they do in the sequels (I will have to get those books first). I can't help but think that she was put there to glorify that darkness in Adam.
Books may well be the only true magic.
~Alice Hoffman
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 19:58
Howlan wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 13:30
CYSON DOROPH wrote: 26 Feb 2020, 13:10 Having read the story in entirety, this is what I thought about Adam, Terry and Kelly: I think Adam did not know how to put into words and actions the feelings he had for Terry, hence employing the wrong tactic yielding into a life long request. With Carly, there exists a perfect excuse. This is both being school and classmates.
Adam was attracted to Terry because she looked like his mother. So he kidnaps her and takes her to his sex cave. And Terry gets killed on her own knife. Really ridiculous.
In fact, Adam kinda stalked Terry because she looked like his mother- even before the kidnapping and death.

With Carly his behavior is possessive and also ridiculous.
Yes and that is disturbing. Imagine if Carly had not come what a character he would be.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

supraja_prasad wrote: 27 Feb 2020, 20:55 One thing I always wondered about Terry was this. When a character is introduced in any literary work, they have a purpose. So, I was hoping that Terry and her terrible end would be revisited in detail. Like how Vikki's purpose was discussed... Maybe they do in the sequels (I will have to get those books first). I can't help but think that she was put there to glorify that darkness in Adam.
Yes true. It would be great if Terry was another spy for the Iksha. But at this point I think she is mainly present to glorify Adam only.
Rwill0988
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 499
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rwill0988.html
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg

Post by Rwill0988 »

Everything Adam does after Terry didn't seem to matter to me. I felt it was appalling that not only do Carly and Dauma not turn him in but Carly seems to help him destroy evidence. At the same time, there are missing posters everywhere. There is a family missing her.

This is acceptable but when Carly's dad goes missing she and her mother feel entitled to torture Vikki and kill whoever stand in their way. I don't find them to be "good" guys but they are the characters we follow.

Terry's death bothered me the whole story.
“Give me a man or woman who has read a thousand books and you give me an interesting companion. Give me a man or woman who has read perhaps three and you give me a very dangerous enemy indeed.” ~ The Witching Hour by Anne Rice
Latest Review: Julu by Jan Anderegg
littlegems
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-littlegems.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by littlegems »

I just felt like the whole situation with Terry being kidnapped and dying was completely unecessary to the story, even to Adam's character development. Just knowing that he stalked her and planned on doing it and how to go about it, along with the revealing of his hideout and clearly inappropriate obsession with his mother being plastered all over it, in itself provided enough insight into that aspect if Adam's psyche.Carly could have followed him to the shack and discovered all of it, and that alone would have been enough of that element to result in the way it was actually handled by the two of them after she found out. Her reaction to it and how she felt about him afterwards was way too mild given the actual gravity of what really transpired. The rest of it just seemed like gratuitous violence.
Twylla
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Favorite Book: Project Tau
Currently Reading: Intwine
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-twylla.html
Latest Review: Contagion Domination by William Nisol
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by Twylla »

Adam should have taken responsibility for his actions and turned himself in. It was wrong for both Carly and Adam to just ignore her death as if it meant nothing.
a-b-c-
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-b-c.html
Latest Review: Project Tau by Jude Austin

Post by a-b-c- »

I agree with you. If Adem had been my boyfriend I really would have been scared and I would have had a lot of questions for Adam. I think that the author should have added in the novel that Adem or Carly told someone where Terry's body was even if they had to lie about what happen or how they knew.
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsearoses.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Chelsearoses »

Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 13:11
Chelsearoses wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 19:38
AntonelaMaria wrote: 18 Feb 2020, 17:13

But I would add that only made him more inconsistent and unbelievable as a character.
That's a fair point to add. It's a little frustrating for me because he is more inconsistent and unbelievable to an extent but also sometimes people are, even in books and life. But for this book...I don't know, maybe he could have been inconsistent with some characteristics or certain things....but still be believable as a character...I don't know ha...
I know sometimes in books some characters stay inconsistent and unbelievable but maybe not a leading character? Maybe in future books, he becomes more so?? More stable perhaps?
Has anyone read the next book? "Split Adam"?
I absolutly detested the way the author handled the den and Terry. It also made Carly seem weaker as a character as she had no qualms about just covering it up and not even talking to him about it.
I agree, it showed Carly to be a little more passive and dismissive about the whole situation. Let's not talk or discuss a young high school student being murdered and lured to a hidden away den and almost be raped. Of course the girl would be scared and frightened! Ha, what would you expect sir? Sir, the girl is scared because she thought you were a friend and thought she was going to be raped. Not to be taken lightly.
"In every Heaven you'll find some Hell.And there's a welcome in each farewell.Life can be harsh the future strict, who would dare predict.So let's be happy, forever happy, completely happy. And a tiny bit sad."Happy/Sad-Addams Family Musical
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsearoses »

Nym182 wrote: 24 Feb 2020, 13:09
Chelsearoses wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 19:31
Howlan wrote: 20 Feb 2020, 11:45

Yes, the kidnapping of Terry showed how far-driven Adam was. He was totally prepared to rape her in his sex den.
That's what seems to make sense to me. You're right, he was prepared to go down that dark path, considering how out of his way he was going. To drive there, miss the turns, drive all the way out. I mean the fact that he had that place in itself says a lot.
But I do think the story ends up worse for that fact by tying up that loose end by having Carly burn down all the evidence and then forgetting the whole thing. The den and Terry were poorly handled by the author and did more harm to the story then good.
Yeah it doesn't read well to try and rush in loose details to try and tie everything up. Then to try and relay it and prep for the next book. I kind of feel if the author would have taken the time to just either add a brief last chapter OR an extra page or 2, the author could have added closure to a couple of things left for closure. And not maybe wait until the next book. Just take the small amount of time to wrap that up. At the very least with the smaller details. And leave the bigger details and cliff hangers for the next books.
"In every Heaven you'll find some Hell.And there's a welcome in each farewell.Life can be harsh the future strict, who would dare predict.So let's be happy, forever happy, completely happy. And a tiny bit sad."Happy/Sad-Addams Family Musical
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:

littlegems wrote: 29 Feb 2020, 02:39 I just felt like the whole situation with Terry being kidnapped and dying was completely unecessary to the story, even to Adam's character development. Just knowing that he stalked her and planned on doing it and how to go about it, along with the revealing of his hideout and clearly inappropriate obsession with his mother being plastered all over it, in itself provided enough insight into that aspect if Adam's psyche.Carly could have followed him to the shack and discovered all of it, and that alone would have been enough of that element to result in the way it was actually handled by the two of them after she found out. Her reaction to it and how she felt about him afterwards was way too mild given the actual gravity of what really transpired. The rest of it just seemed like gratuitous violence.
I completely agree with this assessment. Just having the creepy sex room would be enough to garner a reaction regardless of whether he had kidnapped anyone and had been involved in their death.
Jocelyn Eastman
Currently Reading:

Chelsearoses wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 21:59
Chelsearoses wrote: 21 Feb 2020, 19:31

That's what seems to make sense to me. You're right, he was prepared to go down that dark path, considering how out of his way he was going. To drive there, miss the turns, drive all the way out. I mean the fact that he had that place in itself says a lot.
But I do think the story ends up worse for that fact by tying up that loose end by having Carly burn down all the evidence and then forgetting the whole thing. The den and Terry were poorly handled by the author and did more harm to the story then good.
Yeah it doesn't read well to try and rush in loose details to try and tie everything up. Then to try and relay it and prep for the next book. I kind of feel if the author would have taken the time to just either add a brief last chapter OR an extra page or 2, the author could have added closure to a couple of things left for closure. And not maybe wait until the next book. Just take the small amount of time to wrap that up. At the very least with the smaller details. And leave the bigger details and cliff hangers for the next books.
I don’t think Carly burnt down the thing because she didn’t care. I really think she did it to evade capture for herself and Adam. Remember, she is in hiding and Adam is too once she discovers he has powers. My biggest problem with the whole thing is her reaction to it. Like...you’re not going to confront him about it at all? You basically tortured Vicky.
Chelsearoses
Currently Reading:

Post by Chelsearoses »

Jocelyn Eastman wrote: 03 Mar 2020, 16:27
Chelsearoses wrote: 02 Mar 2020, 21:59

I don’t think Carly burnt down the thing because she didn’t care. I really think she did it to evade capture for herself and Adam. Remember, she is in hiding and Adam is too once she discovers he has powers. My biggest problem with the whole thing is her reaction to it. Like...you’re not going to confront him about it at all? You basically tortured Vicky.
Okay yes, that bothered me too. The fact that she really didn't address it or confront him about it. Even at the end before the last scene, something like she's maybe at that location before heading into that facility where they left the girl. Just looking out somewhere, he walks up next to her. She doesn't even look him but calmy tells him or confronts him letting him know, essentially that there are things that have yet to be dealt with. That she saw the den, something to the effect of "There's a lot to be done, with her, with everything...I haven't forgotten Adam what you did to Terry. It wasn't right. And something like that can never happen again.." I don't know just letting him know, acknowledging that maybe small detail for some people. That he needs to keep his mental health and thoughts in check, stay on top that. Get special help for that, because it's not okay. And then maybe transition after leaving him to say nothing or not much, into the last scene that was used. Or maybe something completely different hah. Just acknowleging and confronting him. In some way.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

thaservices1 wrote: 03 Feb 2020, 02:38 My biggest complaint. He causes this girl's death and it just gets shuffled off to non importance since they get to be superhero happy lovebirds.
Agreed. I feel the exact same way.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”