MILF fantasies and mental health

Use this forum to discuss the February 2020 Book of the month, "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Re: MILF fantasies and mental health

Post by Laura Lee »

Mounce574 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 13:15 That was the only part of the book I didn't like. If it had not had the sexual undertone then I would have dismissed the jealousy being equal to a spoiled person saying " me me me ."
Yeah, but even jealousy of his father is weird, in my opinion!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

mariana90 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 15:04 I found it quite off-putting too. I think it was the result of the well-known writer's advice: hook your readers with the first 10 pages. But I think she messed it up, because it didn't hook me at all, quite the contrary.
Thanks for your response! Yes, she did well in hooking my attention, but (for my personal taste) it went too far; way too far. Personally, I didn't think it was an essential plot point, but I'm looking forward to hearing others opinions on the matter.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

shannonkate8 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 16:03
What are your thoughts on Adam's fantasies of his mother and jealousy of his father?
There's a psychological theory behind this called the Oedipus Complex. The idea is that in childhood, kids get attached to the parent of the opposite sex and find the parent of the same sex to be a "rival" of sorts. Now, this was initially produced by Freud who is, at this point, generally ignored because his theories were so sexually based.
The point of bringing this up is because your above question reminded me of it. I'm curious is the author is aware of the complex and tried to work it in the book. I'm also not a dude, so I can't attest to this, but perhaps it happens more often than we realize and the author decided to draw attention to it rather than avoid it?
Either way, it is definitely uncomfortable for me to read. The other comments I'm reading seem to feel this way too.

That's a good point. Very insightful response. It would be interesting to know if this is more common than typically admitted to. I felt very uncomfortable with it and, personally, felt the insight into his character as well as his DNA differences were handled sufficiently otherwise.
Laura Lee

Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Frankly, it almost caused me not to read the book! I found it disturbing and a strange way to start the story! I don't feel that it had any relevance to the story at all. I felt much better about continuing with the book when Carly caught Adam's eye right away and his focus started shifting from his mom to Carly! At least in intensity.
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

shannonkate8 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 16:03
What are your thoughts on Adam's fantasies of his mother and jealousy of his father?
I'm curious is the author is aware of the complex and tried to work it in the book. I'm also not a dude, so I can't attest to this, but perhaps it happens more often than we realize and the author decided to draw attention to it rather than avoid it?
I'm pretty sure the author is well aware of the Oedipus complex, and was very consciously using it.

In regards to you "not being a dude", don't worry! Carl Jung postulated the Elektra complex so we wouldn't feel left out :P :lol: (it's pretty much the same as Oedipus but with inverted genders).
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

mariana90 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 19:17 In regards to you "not being a dude", don't worry! Carl Jung postulated the Elektra complex so we wouldn't feel left out :P :lol: (it's pretty much the same as Oedipus but with inverted genders).

LOL -- So, do such attachments supposedly occur in healthy or unhealthy relationships? There was never any danger of my feeling that way about my own father as I was afraid of him.
Laura Lee

sevencrows
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sevencrows.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by sevencrows »

I think it added another depth to him as a character and get across his mental state. However, it absolutely adds shock value, and the book could have survived pretty well without it. Regardless, it's most definitely a strange thing to see in a YA book.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

Laura Lee wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 11:14 What are your thoughts on Adam's fantasies of his mother and jealousy of his father? Based on the various elements of the book (such as how his repulsion of Vikki was explained as being genetic), would you consider this integral to the plot? Or did you get the feeling this was added for just shock value and not essential for the overall development of the story?
I agree with shock value. I feel the author wanted Adam to be edgy, but went way too far. His disturbing kidnapping scene at the beginning mixed with the uncomfortable incestuous sexual desires seemed over the top for a teenage superhero romance.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

Laura Lee wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 16:53
Misael wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 08:26 Though the this MILG issue is controversial and sensitive at the same time, it is also very intriguing and unusual to be tackled in a novel. I would like to read this book and probably do my research also regarding this issue on mental health.
This is true, that it is unusual to be tackled in a novel--particularly a young adult novel. Not sure, IMO, if it's appropriate for teens.
I agree with you on this. It is too much for teens.
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

I think that first of all it was a subtle hint that he may be adopted. I mean the way Carly thought that Jo-Ann was a stepmom because of her youth was a real indication that he was adopted. And secondly, it developed a great twist from the conventional main character designs we are used to.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

B Creech wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 18:04 Frankly, it almost caused me not to read the book! I found it disturbing and a strange way to start the story! I don't feel that it had any relevance to the story at all. I felt much better about continuing with the book when Carly caught Adam's eye right away and his focus started shifting from his mom to Carly! At least in intensity.
Yes, it certainly was a turn-off. The way Adam character was developing at first I thought Adam was definitely an anti-hero character in this book.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Laura Lee wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 16:55
mariana90 wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 15:04 I found it quite off-putting too. I think it was the result of the well-known writer's advice: hook your readers with the first 10 pages. But I think she messed it up, because it didn't hook me at all, quite the contrary.
Yes, definitely one of the weirdest ten pages I have ever read.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Laura Lee wrote: 02 Feb 2020, 19:19 LOL -- So, do such attachments supposedly occur in healthy or unhealthy relationships? There was never any danger of my feeling that way about my own father as I was afraid of him.
In theory, it is normal that between the ages of 3 and 5, little boys and little girls compete with their fathers and mothers respectively for the undivided attention of the other parent. It eventually goes away and we don't really remember anything about it. Obviously there are exceptions, like cases of abuse or traumas for example.

But it was not really about having a sexual relationship with the parent, rather it was about monopolizing them, possessing them.

It is not a mere coincidence that "mama's boy" and "daddy's girl" are very well known tropes in our society.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Laura Lee wrote: 01 Feb 2020, 21:02 Thanks for your reply. Honestly, I find this element quite off-putting. Just curious to hear from others. :)
I found that element quite off-putting too. It helped me choose not to read the rest of the book...
peace starts with a smile...
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I found it really disturbing. I've had this book for over a year and haven't made it very far. I thought I'd really enjoy it since I love fantasy novels, but the whole beginning was about his inappropriate thoughts about his mother and how much he resented his father. It made it really hard for me to want to open this book to continue to read.

Return to “Discuss "Opaque" by Calix Leigh-Reign”