Did this book change your perspective on 'the cheater' in any way?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Ohna Martin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohna-martin.html
Latest Review: Terms of Service by Craig W. Stanfill
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Did this book change your perspective on 'the cheater' in any way?

Post by Ohna Martin »

No, he should have been honest and open from the beginning. It would have hurt but not as much as the betrayal in the end.
Cocobutta
Currently Reading: Hidden Current
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cocobutta.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Cocobutta »

I didn’t want to but I felt bad for him especially after that scene where he broke down and Rachel didn’t react too much . He just seemed so miserable in his marriage. I agree that he could have left at any point but with children in the picture it’s a lot harder.
IbrahimOtegbade
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ibrahimotegbade.html
Latest Review: The Magician's Secret by Charles Townsend

Post by IbrahimOtegbade »

I pitied the protagonist for his marital problems, and I realized that it would have been better if he told his friends or had some time to talk with his wife to sort things out. Communication. That's the main problem. His marriage fell apart because he couldn't express himself and seek help. This is true of many failing marriages. Despite the sympathy, the book hasn't changed my perspective on cheating. I hope couples learn to communicate more than doing chores.
Gandhi_D 1st
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gandhi-d-1st.html
Latest Review: JTs World by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Gandhi_D 1st »

Karina Nowak wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 20:37 I honestly feel that either the protagonist or his wife could have had an affair. They both were at the end of their rope and I was just waiting to see who would let go first.

But by the time it happened, I thought I would be mad and annoyed, but I just felt so sorry for him. He was so unhappy with his life, living in a relationship with a partner he couldn't communicate with and wasn't even sure loved him anymore, and stifled by his responsibility and what he thought others expected of him.

In other words, never in my life did I think I would feel sorry for a cheater, and I did. I really did. The author really made you feel what the protagonist was feeling and showed the progression of his overwhelming happiness at the beginning of his relationship to how it slowly fell apart.

So although we aren't saying that cheating is okay, it isn't. I came away with an understanding that a person can't be in their right frame of mind to cheat. They are most likely desperate and hurting and so off-balanced emotionally that they submit to something that can hurt others and themselves just to feel good about themselves and their life again for a moment.

What are your thoughts? Did this book give you any insight into why a person might cheat? Did you feel sorry for the protagonist at all? Or, like him, did you think it was all his fault and he got what he deserved?

I won't really blame the author for cheating, both couples were on the verge of committing adultery.
And It didn't change my perspective about cheating or being a cheater.
Obi Egbuniwe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obi-egbuniwe.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Obi Egbuniwe »

It humanized the cheater in a way I had not experienced before. I sympathized with him. We got to experience his psyche and internal struggles so much so that I understood but not condoned why he did the things he did.
Clare Jose
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Let's Pretend This Never Happened
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice
Bookshelf Size: 196
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clare-jose.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Clare Jose »

While I don't agree with cheating, I can understand what the protagonist was going through and what lead him to such a situation. But I still feel that the whole situation could have been avoided, if the couple was willing to communicate and support each other when they realized they were starting to have issues.
Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile."
Moo Reny
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moo-reny.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Moo Reny »

No matter the excuse, as long as they weren't legally separated, cheating is very offensive
Not available anymore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-covenant-morolayo-olusegun.html
Latest Review: Stones by James C. Hendee

Post by Not available anymore »

Though I felt sorry, but it didn't change my perspective
I think cheating no matter the reason, is wrong
Adeolaoskydeelight
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adeolaoskydeelight.html

Post by Adeolaoskydeelight »

Although I must admit that I felt bad for him, I do not think that cheating can ever be explained. Though he expressed how sorry he was he continued returning. I can see why he cheated at the moment, and I even understand why, but why he continued to do so is not forgivable
Loniya Chabili Mubanga
Currently Reading: The sea keepers daughter
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-loniya-chabili-mubanga.html
Latest Review: American Dream? by Jeoung Lee

Post by Loniya Chabili Mubanga »

No. I definitely didn't feel anything but disgust for him. His marriage was in jeopardy, which wasn't entirely his fault. But he kept on going on man missions instead of taking a family vacation for once? Or even just going on a trip with his wife to try to rekindle their love. He didn't have his priorities in check and that bugged me.
I'm here for a good time, not a long time. Yolo!
Praiyz Pearlumie Olushegun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praiyz-pearlumie-olushegun.html
Latest Review: Because He Loved Us by Sharon Williams

Post by Praiyz Pearlumie Olushegun »

No, this book doesn't change my perspective on the cheater in any way, as far as I'm concerned they could both have worked out theirs relationship instead of cheating
Chimezie Agbata
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chimezie-agbata.html
Latest Review: VROOM! Barry, Kari and the Power Boost! by William G Wilberforce III

Post by Chimezie Agbata »

I think there is no excuse for infidelity. If it feels that nothing could be worked out, then they should breakup and go about their lives.
Monica Omonigho Bennymoore
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monica-omonigho-bennymoore.html

Post by Monica Omonigho Bennymoore »

Well my opinion of the cheater almost changed because i saw that they were remorseful and cried after the incident or the tear in the fabric of the marriage. But crying does not justify cheating. However when couples have unsupportive partners, their emotion tends to tilt toward God or someone who would can fill up the cracks in their lives. I believe cheating depends on the circumstances. Rachel was not a fun loving wife and took life too serious. Well the men no try at all as them for carry their wives along one of these trips to have a wives time out.".... this simply means the men left the women out of their fun time. (just writing my silent thoughts out)
kitkat_15
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat-15.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by kitkat_15 »

I think it made me understand why people cheat more. Once you’re in it yourself you’re just hurt and mad and it makes you want to blame the other person and I don’t think you take the time to sit back and actually have that realisation that both of you stopped putting effort into the relationship. The other person may have done it because they felt unloved. It did make me feel sorry for the main character in this situation because I think a lot of us have been either him or his wife and haven’t been able to process correctly and heal their relationship because they can’t move past this act that the other has committed.
Stephanie Stones
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okonchika.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Stephanie Stones »

I wasn't okay with the cheating part but with the way things were going in his marriage, it just looked like something that would eventually happen.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”