Which woman did you like best?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Re: Which woman did you like best?

Post by Monet_va »

I liked Evie and Pamela the best but I felt like more work could have been done on their characters and I wish that there had been more development and time set aside for them in the book.
Maria Esposito
Favorite Book: The Panhandler and the Professional
Currently Reading: Live from Death Row
Bookshelf Size: 438
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maria-esposito.html
Latest Review: WHY ARE THERE MONKEYS? (and other questions for God) by Brooke Jones
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Maria Esposito »

I liked Pamela the most because she made a tangible effort to compromise, understand and accommodate her husband's needs. But I have to say I would've liked the author to dig more into Rachel's feelings and her perspective on things.
The strongest impetus a man will ever have, in an individual sense, will come from a woman he admires.

- George Jackson, "Soledad Brother"
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

I liked Evie's personality and I think Pamela seemed to let a lot slide. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

pshaw1414 wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 15:41 I really resonated with Rachel. She has the young kids and stays home with them all day while her husband goes to work. She is understandably upset by his need for additional time away from home, but gives in selflessly and adheres to the single mom role when needed.
It's always a hard balance to find peace with and encourage those masculine outings, without also feeling resentful about the very same sometimes. It is a hard struggle for sure, and I agree, Rachel does give a lot while wearing many hats. Many probably resonate with her the most.
AvidBibliophile
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

prospero360 wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 13:09 I liked Evie's personality and I think Pamela seemed to let a lot slide. I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Like so many others have also mentioned, Evie's personality stood out as memorable for sure! And a majority of women are not so laidback lackadaisical about letting large chunks of things "slide" but each to their own.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

Monet_va wrote: 16 Jan 2020, 05:01 I liked Evie and Pamela the best but I felt like more work could have been done on their characters and I wish that there had been more development and time set aside for them in the book.
I completely agree with this. I felt like there wasn't much character development with the female characters and often they were just representations of some negative stereotypes, which made me a bit sad.
IfeomaD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ifeomad.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by IfeomaD »

B Creech wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 18:11 I liked Pamela the best. She seemed to go with the flow. She never got upset about the man trips, and she didn't complain about having to take care of the children by herself for a week! Maybe she just hid her feelings to please Daniel and then couldn't hide them anymore because I was shocked when she and Daniel separated! However, she made an effort to work their problems out, and so did Daniel. She was my favorite!
Yeah she's totally a strong woman and my favourite character
We will have our ups and downs, regardless of who we are. When we fall, we peel ourselves off the asphalt and get back up. If we need to cry, then we cry. And when we’re ready, we get back up and move forward again.

Richard L. Haight
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

For me, Pamela was the most outstanding woman. Whereas I expected her to get distressed with her partner's trip, she showed nothing of the sort; instead she performed her home duties as if her man was around.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Radhika_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radhika.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Radhika_ »

I liked Pamela most. She understands men and does not get hyper on small things. She always supports Daniel regarding Man Mission trips while other women have one or other problem with trips. Lastly, when she and Daniel separated again she gave their relationship a chance and finally, everything is alright between them both.
SHALLU RAWAL
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shallu-rawal.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by SHALLU RAWAL »

Rachel and Pamela were my favorites. Because they both were very strong women. Even if they were sad but, they try their best to fight the circumstances.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

Pamela for me was the perfect woman, supportive and always there for her husband. And when they had a serious problems, she never gave up on them and they both went for counselling and resolved their differences. You can't get better woman than Pamela, that's my opinion.
Sugarlump54
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sugarlump54.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Sugarlump54 »

wrote: ↑08 Jan 2020, 18:11
I liked Pamela the best. She seemed to go with the flow. She never got upset about the man trips, and she didn't complain about having to take care of the children by herself for a week! Maybe she just hid her feelings to please Daniel and then couldn't hide them anymore because I was shocked when she and Daniel separated! However, she made an effort to work their problems out, and so did Daniel. She was my favorite!

I liked Pamela too. She realized that sometimes in a marriage the partners need to do their own thing.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

Shabram22 wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 09:01 There are five main women in the book. Rachel, Pamela, Evie, Natalia and Sarah. Which did you like best?

I liked Pamela the best because she seemed to understand the men's need for an annual trip and also was the least offended when the men misbehaved.
I agree, I also liked Pamela the best. She didn't seem to feel threatened of their friendship and need for time away. I didn't, however, like Rachel. She was too uptight.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

I don't understand why everyone here seams to ignore Rachel. I feel she was so real, and didn't pretend to support what didn't please her. Furthermore, her reaction was the generally expected conduct of any woman left alone at home when her husband is gone adventuring.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.
Julius_
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Roger Glasgow
Favorite Book: Mythic Worlds and the One You Can Believe In
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit
fav_author_id: 187887

Post by Julius_ »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 18:36
Shabram22 wrote: 08 Jan 2020, 09:01 There are five main women in the book. Rachel, Pamela, Evie, Natalia and Sarah. Which did you like best?

I liked Pamela the best because she seemed to understand the men's need for an annual trip and also was the least offended when the men misbehaved.
I agree, I also liked Pamela the best. She didn't seem to feel threatened of their friendship and need for time away. I didn't, however, like Rachel. She was too uptight.
It's funny that I liked Rachel the most. She acted so real. Although Pamela was a good girl too.
We're all philosophers. When there's a tough choice to be made, when faced with the facts of birth,love or death or simply when thinking about what we want to do with our lives.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”