Lessons on relationships and marriage from the main protagonist

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: Lessons on relationships and marriage from the main protagonist

Post by Sheila_Jay »

DorcasToo wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 02:24 Marriage might or might not work is the biggest lesson of all. But I think being the bigger person and accepting you are wrong is what I take with me. All the four men have different paths when it comes to marriage and relationships meaning our destinies are different, we just have to live with it.
I think people often believe that a marriage must always work when that is not always the case which makes that a great lesson that people can pick from this book. A lot of times challenges arise because neither the husband or the wife is ready to own up to a mistake; but if that happens more often then I believe marriage can be best thing for many couples.
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Sheila_Jay wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 15:01
DorcasToo wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 02:24 Marriage might or might not work is the biggest lesson of all. But I think being the bigger person and accepting you are wrong is what I take with me. All the four men have different paths when it comes to marriage and relationships meaning our destinies are different, we just have to live with it.
I think people often believe that a marriage must always work when that is not always the case which makes that a great lesson that people can pick from this book. A lot of times challenges arise because neither the husband or the wife is ready to own up to a mistake; but if that happens more often then I believe marriage can be best thing for many couples.
I totally agree with you on this one and I think denial is the major contributor of unhappy marriages. And it creates a longer chain that may lead to abuse and mental instability.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

NetMassimo wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 02:50 The narrator and Rachel behaved like they signed a contract, so they followed some rules and expected the marriage to work. They didn't seem aware that a relationship changes in time, so the spouses need to keep "in synch" if they want it to keep on working. Communications seemed quite poor in their marriage.
You really hit the nail on the head. The communication between the narrator and Rachael was poor. They really needed to find a way to make things work.
Sheila_Jay
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sheila-jay_1438897.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Sheila_Jay »

djr6090 wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 19:47 I think the concept of self sacrifice as a required marital element needs a serious going over. Spouses should be doing what they do for each other because it makes them happy, not because it's oart of the "Relationship Rulebook."
This is a great advice and as someone who is married, I will always try and bear this in mind at all times. Thanks!
“Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I did not really think on these lines. I do believe that traditional marriage roles no longer have a place in modern marriage, in order to be happy, people need to form their own rules.
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html

Post by Magnify3 »

Chipochashe wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 13:40 The main protagonist has a divorce, Daniel suffers a separation, Sam feels he is floating and Alec needs counseling before he could commit. What lessons can we draw from their relationships?
Daniel at least took some thought to listening to his wife and working things out while the main protagonist was more eager to finish a man mission than face his relationship problem. One has to be ready to admit and face ones problems head on than run from them.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I think that communication breakdown was the biggest factor in the relationship issues. The partners kept their dissatisfaction to themselves, hoping that things would get better, which they did not.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 17 Jan 2020, 18:50 I think that communication breakdown was the biggest factor in the relationship issues. The partners kept their dissatisfaction to themselves, hoping that things would get better, which they did not.
Communication is key! This was a real take out for me from this book. Not just within marriages but within friendships as well because once the men began to share with each other things became easier to deal with.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

pshaw1414 wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 16:58 I feel that if he forced the relationship by staying in the home during counseling, it may have had a different effect.
I definitely agree with this. I liked that the author showed both negative and positive relationship development through the protagonist's and Daniel's relationships.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I felt like the male characters took a lot for granted when it came to their significant others and I'm not surprised at all that the relationships fell apart.
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

NetMassimo wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 11:26
djr6090 wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 11:10
There really are men who make up ideal women rules. My baby brother shared his with me after he graduated college and was in the market for a bride. I told him to let the perfect woman find HIM, not to use an inflexible yardstick. His first marriage (according to the rules) ended in disaster. His second wife found him, guess where? Barnes and Noble! I thought the bookclub might get a kick out of this.
That's an interesting insight... I mean, besides establishing the importance of bookclubs... :mrgreen: seriously, people and relationships can't be measured with a ruler. Thinking about this novel convinced me even more that in relationships a real connection is crucial, and that's something intangible.
I think it also shows that no number of "rules" are going to help if the couple don't have things in common that they can focus on together. I think that was missing. The 'man mission' was the end-all, furthering their relationships with their friends. What were they doing to further their relationships with their significant others?
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Kelyn wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 21:47
NetMassimo wrote: 13 Jan 2020, 11:26
That's an interesting insight... I mean, besides establishing the importance of bookclubs... :mrgreen: seriously, people and relationships can't be measured with a ruler. Thinking about this novel convinced me even more that in relationships a real connection is crucial, and that's something intangible.
I think it also shows that no number of "rules" are going to help if the couple don't have things in common that they can focus on together. I think that was missing. The 'man mission' was the end-all, furthering their relationships with their friends. What were they doing to further their relationships with their significant others?
Their relationship rules didn't include the need to further their relationships so they thought they had done enough already. Sad, as they had no clue about growing as a couple.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

I think it was quite obvious for the protagonist, when Rachel was overwhelmed by the day to day running of the home. The protagonist was also stressed out with work and financial related issues. They drifted apart and maybe, they should have tried a brief separation. While seeking counseling on the side, Like it was for the case of Daniel and Pam.
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think one of the biggest lessons is that for generations, we have not taught men how to process their feelings. We have left all the emotional work of maintaining relationships on women. These men were prototypical college boys for so much of their lives. The bigger surprise was any of them being willing to go to therapy. Especially since the point of the book is to talk about the "man missions" where the men basically have to out "man" each other, I feel like the biggest lesson is that friendship is important, but even good friendships can have toxic elements.
Chipochashe
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chipochashe.html
Latest Review: Body in the Woods by Behcet Kaya

Post by Chipochashe »

Daniel at least took some thought to listening to his wife and working things out while the main protagonist was more eager to finish a man mission than face his relationship problem. One has to be ready to admit and face ones problems head on than run from them.
[/quote]

That is true. Running away from a problem does not solve it.
:D Only God gives the strength to smile in the face of death.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”