What did you think of how this book constantly switched between the "present" action of the missions and flashbacks?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
mary-annef
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-annef.html
Latest Review: Child of the Sun Complete Edition by Michael Van Cleve

Re: What did you think of how this book constantly switched between the "present" action of the missions and flashbacks?

Post by mary-annef »

An excellent question @Laura Lee and I'm in complete agreement that Uliel handled the switches very well. But your question prompted me to make a connection I hadn't made previously. I think the flashbacks mimic the process that takes place on trips like these. I love an activity-based holiday because I think physical activity has a way of un-inhibiting your mental processes. Even though you travel as a group there are always parts of the day that you're on your own with your thoughts. You think about, and resolve, things you might not allow time for in normal day to day life.
Aditi Sapate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 118
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aditi-sapate.html
Latest Review: Miracles Love a Believer by Stacy Manning Casaluci

Post by Aditi Sapate »

It does indeed get confusing for the reader and it can be a real challenge for the writer to make something like that possible and coherent. The author did seem to do it pretty well though.
diamonnd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Post by diamonnd »

Sugarlump54 wrote: 21 Jan 2020, 18:41 I loved the flashbacks and agree the author did that very well. I think the events of the trip correlated to their real life events. Like getting stuck in a whirlpool and the monotony he was fighting in his life... Climbing the ice and seeing a beautiful view is like climbing out of the depression of the divorce and seeing the future...I don’t know...maybe I read too much into it.
Ooh yes! I love that analysis. I loved the flashbacks, but I think this adds another level of depth to the style of writing and makes me appreciate it more!
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Chelsey Coles »

I agree that I can't recall a book that had so many flashbacks. And if I did the main character or character in question was mentally deranged in some way (so as a stylistic aspect). I also agree that Uliel maintained a sense of cohesiveness... but still I found it very distracting even though each flashback was tied to the main events. I had to pause and take a moment and rearrange the chronological sequence in my head. But the flashbacks did a great job of explaining character behavior.
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Tobewankenobe
Currently Reading: Voulhire
Bookshelf Size: 58

Post by Tobewankenobe »

I'm not a fan of flashbacks very much. I like nonlinear narratives, and to give an example think of Kurt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse Five. Although now that I'm thinking of it is there so much of a difference between flashbacks and nonlinear narrative? It's very subtle, but nonlinear narrative always manages to make me feel like it is now no matter what part of the chronology is being presented to us.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

Weirdly enough and considering that I don't like jumps amidst the story, I found it to be balanced and well put. At some point I even started looking forward to the next jump.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
Alyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa »

Usually I don’t like a lot of back and forth but with this, I found myself looking forward to a flashback. It really enriched the story.
HarryPotterLibrary22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harrypotterlibrary22.html
Latest Review: Watchwords (black and white) by Philip Neal Gatter

Post by HarryPotterLibrary22 »

NetMassimo wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 12:26
HarryPotterLibrary22 wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 11:07
I agree! The flashback scenes in this book were very well done. I never felt confused as to whether I was reading about present-day or the past. It also felt like I was reading the protagonists thoughts and often they aren't in chronological order.
The narration in the first person helps to create that feeling. Clearly that was the author's intent.
Yes & it was certainly executed well!
Cwaganagwa Dorothy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cwaganagwa-dorothy.html
Latest Review: A Dream For Peace by Dr. Ghoulem Berrah

Post by Cwaganagwa Dorothy »

It shows that, whenever we are faced with moments of discomfort, we wish for and think of better and happier events in the past because of the absence of sorrow at that time.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

CYSON DOROPH wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 04:07 It shows that, whenever we are faced with moments of discomfort, we wish for and think of better and happier events in the past because of the absence of sorrow at that time.
Did you really get this from the flashbacks? I didn't connect them with their discomfort. It seemed more as if the main character had room in his head to reflect, the pace of life having slowed somewhat. But I do tend to remember the good times when I look back, now that you mention it.
Bthomason
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bthomason.html
Latest Review: Ambition by Val Grian

Post by Bthomason »

Ive read other books that tried this method of adding information for the readers and it wasn't achieved as it was with Uliel's book. I think it was a success for the author. I had no problems following the story.
Latest Review: Ambition by Val Grian
shannonkate8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 130
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shannonkate8.html
Latest Review: Ivan and the Silver Seeds by Ivy Lin and Walter Sattazahn

Post by shannonkate8 »

Honestly, I think the author did a good job of switching back and forth. I didn't find any major issues with it. There have been books I've read that have not been structured well and, ultimately, made me put down the book. This wasn't one of those. It's a hard dynamic to balance and I think he and his editorial team did well.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." -Aristotle
Josmolz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Josmolz »

I am so glad you raised this topic! The author does a tremendous job at switching scenes. At the beginning of the book, when the Man mission concept was being introduced, I noticed how he introduced it as a lovely flashback memory of the law school days. This really helped set the premise for understanding the crew's commitment to their endeavors. Such a scene goes a long way into harnessing the utility of combining scenes. If done well, it could be an incredible blessing to the reader. What do you think?
Josmolz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by Josmolz »

PS. I think channeling the utility of alternating reality and flashbacks makes the characters incredibly relatable. I felt like I knew them during their yesteryears. This background makes me understand exactly how they arrived at the decisions they made and why.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

I love when a book has flashbacks, it allows the reader to go back and gain more insight on the characters or why the author is writing the way they are.
Spencer Mack

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”