From Being a Boy to a Man

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

From Being a Boy to a Man

Post by Charlyt »

Which part of the book did you think the main character transitioned from being a boy to a man? Was it during one of their Man Missions or during his home life?
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

That's a great question. I would say he transitioned from a boy to a man when he sacrificed his own wants for the good of his family. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to find a healthy balance between meeting his needs and his families needs. I thought it was insightful, later on in the book, when one of his friends was pointing out the various ways imbalance manifested itself, either going to the gym religiously (the narrator's wife), micro-managing the kids' lives (the friend's wife) or any number of other ways. Balance is essential in work and family life to be emotionally healthy.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
Shabram22
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shabram22.html
Latest Review: Breaking the Chain by Patricia Rossi

Post by Shabram22 »

I think he became a man when he believed he was a man. It's all in he attitude. Only when he felt comfortable in his own skin and accepted all mistakes he'd made, and accepted who he was was when I felt that he was a man finally.
Paige Alvarado
Currently Reading: Night Chills
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paige-alvarado.html
Latest Review: The Beginning of the End - It Starts by John K. Williamson

Post by Paige Alvarado »

Shabram22 wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 12:12 I think he became a man when he believed he was a man. It's all in he attitude. Only when he felt comfortable in his own skin and accepted all mistakes he'd made, and accepted who he was was when I felt that he was a man finally.
Yeah, I wasn't about the wallowing in self-pity. He was really annoying with his depressed phase. Maybe I should be more sympathetic, but it was a self-inflicted injury that he needed to learn to grow from. When Alec finally pulled him away from his cave, he started to show more growth, and shortly thereafter, I believe he showed a manliness about him. He moved on from his mistakes and allowed himself to enjoy life again.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Laura Lee wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 20:07 That's a great question. I would say he transitioned from a boy to a man when he sacrificed his own wants for the good of his family. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to find a healthy balance between meeting his needs and his families needs. I thought it was insightful, later on in the book, when one of his friends was pointing out the various ways imbalance manifested itself, either going to the gym religiously (the narrator's wife), micro-managing the kids' lives (the friend's wife) or any number of other ways. Balance is essential in work and family life to be emotionally healthy.
I definitely agree. A big part of growing up is recognizing that you can't always put yourself first, and I like that the author features this lesson in the book.
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

I believe he discovered his transition on his Man Missions as well as in his home life. Let me elaborate a little when he was faced with losing his job and a failing marriage a lot dawned on him. Then again on his Missions he realized how much of himself he had actually lost playing the role of husband and committed father. We are after all individuals before we are Husbands or wives. That part of us always remains the same no matter what roles we take up in life.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

I hope he keeps in touch with his inner child. On his 15th mission, he seemed to find his center. He learned to recognize his unique self and be appreciative that he is the product of everything that happened to him.
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I believe he was a man all along only that it was hidden beneath all the ego and the adrenaline. When he learnt what has to come first is when he discovers his manhood.
rpayne111rp
Currently Reading: Catch-22
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rpayne111rp.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by rpayne111rp »

pshaw1414 wrote: 09 Jan 2020, 17:02
Shabram22 wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 12:12 I think he became a man when he believed he was a man. It's all in he attitude. Only when he felt comfortable in his own skin and accepted all mistakes he'd made, and accepted who he was was when I felt that he was a man finally.
Yeah, I wasn't about the wallowing in self-pity. He was really annoying with his depressed phase. Maybe I should be more sympathetic, but it was a self-inflicted injury that he needed to learn to grow from. When Alec finally pulled him away from his cave, he started to show more growth, and shortly thereafter, I believe he showed a manliness about him. He moved on from his mistakes and allowed himself to enjoy life again.
I see where you are coming from, but I also felt like the "wallowing in self-pity" stage was real. I've known many people who have gone through major life changes, like divorce, and experience similar difficulties. The character was kind of annoying; we want him to pluck up, pull himself up by his bootstraps. However, I think that Uliel was writing a realistic, believable character. Sometimes it takes time to process, and good friends who are willing to drag you out into the light of day, to overcome those hardships. I think it was just part of the growth process.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Flinx's Folly
Bookshelf Size: 419
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Three Bullets by Charles Alexander
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 26%

Post by NetMassimo »

I think that his problem was that he was trying to be a man following certain traditional rules. When hardship struck him, he felt lost and passed through dark times. When, eventually, he came out of that, the man in him could come out of the "cocoon".
Ciao :)
Massimo
Saraion
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Saraion »

When he felt he had to admit his mistakes, he became a man on the fifteenth mission when he was broken, as if he had found a new shell
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

I felt that a great deal of growth came during the missions. Hardship and challenges spur on growth and the missions certainly had those in spades. The growth is best showcased during the time at home when the learnings are assimilated. As a result, while both have a part to play, the missions play a larger role.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
Frannie Annie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-frannie-annie.html
Latest Review: Emergence by Shira Shiloah

Post by Frannie Annie »

Falconcrest wrote: 10 Jan 2020, 03:31 I believe he discovered his transition on his Man Missions as well as in his home life. Let me elaborate a little when he was faced with losing his job and a failing marriage a lot dawned on him. Then again on his Missions he realized how much of himself he had actually lost playing the role of husband and committed father. We are after all individuals before we are Husbands or wives. That part of us always remains the same no matter what roles we take up in life.
I think we can never forget that we are individuals first, otherwise stuff like this happens. It's actually a good thing he never gave up the Man Missions because they seemed to be the one thing making him happy and they also gave him space to breathe.
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I belive it was a transition, each aspect of his journey contributed to his transition.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

It was when his attitude to life changed and started finding the needs of his family paramount to his.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”