What life lesson did you draw from "Man Mission" and how do you see it impacting your life?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Re: What life lesson did you draw from "Man Mission" and how do you see it impacting your life?

Post by Bukola02 »

Bles wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 04:27
Laura Lee wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 12:08 In Man Mission, Eytan Uliel skillfully interweaves the men's journeys with the life lessons he, as narrator, learns along the way. What is your favorite life lesson from the book and why?

My favorite is the observations of life shared by Peter, the German catamaran captain on Man Mission VIII, the trip to Thailand. On page 177 he tells the men: "I know what I do is strange and exotic to you . . . But that's my job . . . After a while, whatever you do in life becomes normal. I chose this life, and so this is normal for me. You have a different life, and so that is normal for you. We are all made of our experiences. The good thing is that anytime we want, we can change those experiences and change our life . . . If you choose a different life it will be strange at first, but in time almost anything can become normal."

Then he adds the challenge: "The most important thing is to have courage and to just f*#%ing do what you want. After that, my friends, everything else will be okay."

I really like Peter's perspective. Fear can be paralyzing. It can keep us back from pursuing our dreams. But if we will find the courage to pursue those dreams, even the most out-of-the-normal-rut experiences can become our new normal. I like that attitude and want to apply that to my own life.

What about you? What is your take-away from the book?
I concur with you on this. Courage is all we lack but the moment we decide to face our fears and indulge in what we so much fear, after some experience we realize that we shouldn't really have feared. We therefore embrace the new change and carry on.
I agree with you on this. Sometimes as humans we tend to get too relaxed in our comfort zone and let our fears take over. Whereas, all we neee is one bold step and the fear is overcomed.
xoxoAnushka
Favorite Book: "Better dead than divorced"
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-xoxoanushka.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by xoxoAnushka »

Laura Lee wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 15:43
Kitkat anushka wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 12:18 For those who are shy, timid and sensitive (like me),those who can't keep their emotions in control this book enhances mental and emotional strength . Floats us in courageous cloud and boost our own self-awareness.
Hm. That's interesting. So, you felt kind of vicariously courageous through the author? The best books will do that, won't they? :)
Yep, The best books definitely grasps all your emotions and leave you breathless.
BTW, your observation is remarkable as well as I'd like to apply courageous attitude
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

What I took away from this book is to never take steps in life just because you feel like you have to. None of the main characters choices (apart from the man missions) seemed to come from what he himself wanted. They seemed to be controlled by what he felt he should do. He felt like he should buy a house, should get married, should have kids. But I dont think he truly wanted any of that so soon in his life. It would have saved him and those around him a lot of heartache if he had made better decisions!
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Post by Laura Lee »

Melissa Breen wrote: 18 Jan 2020, 15:01 What I took away from this book is to never take steps in life just because you feel like you have to. None of the main characters choices (apart from the man missions) seemed to come from what he himself wanted. They seemed to be controlled by what he felt he should do. He felt like he should buy a house, should get married, should have kids. But I dont think he truly wanted any of that so soon in his life. It would have saved him and those around him a lot of heartache if he had made better decisions!
Hmmm. That's an insightful comment. I think he really loved Rachel and wanted to marry her, but clearly his emotions about his job were very mixed. Thanks for sharing this!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
AntoineOMEGA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antoineomega.html
Latest Review: Poetic Inspirations by Melody D. Velez

Post by AntoineOMEGA »

Time is finite as it is important that we have a goal to achieve regardless of where we are now.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

AntoineOMEGA wrote: 19 Jan 2020, 14:33 Time is finite as it is important that we have a goal to achieve regardless of where we are now.
Isn't that the truth?! Good lesson for us all to keep in mind. Thanks for sharing!
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
Falconcrest
Currently Reading: Brass Rail
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-falconcrest.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Falconcrest »

I learned some extremely valuable lessons, about marriage and family. We mustn't take anyone for granted, and when we have a serious marital problem. Always try to get some form of counseling, and communication is a very important tool in a home. I also learned that having real friends, in life always makes the journey much easier.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Falconcrest wrote: 22 Jan 2020, 14:30 I learned some extremely valuable lessons, about marriage and family. We mustn't take anyone for granted, and when we have a serious marital problem. Always try to get some form of counseling, and communication is a very important tool in a home. I also learned that having real friends, in life always makes the journey much easier.
Those are excellent life-lessons. Thank you, Falconcrest. It was really sad to me to see the break down of the author's marriage. These lessons, as you've shared them, are so important to lasting happiness!
Laura Lee

adamgreenrock
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-adamgreenrock.html
Latest Review: Away To Me, My Love by Naomi McDonald

Post by adamgreenrock »

Always let your close ones know that you love them. I took that line to heart when the protagonist met that old guy in Japan.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

adamgreenrock wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 05:09 Always let your close ones know that you love them. I took that line to heart when the protagonist met that old guy in Japan.
That's a good one, isn't it? And so important. It's so easy to assume our loved ones know how much we love them. It's important to put it into words and never assume. Thanks for sharing! I'd forgotten about that nugget of wisdom. :)
Laura Lee

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

adamgreenrock wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 05:09 Always let your close ones know that you love them. I took that line to heart when the protagonist met that old guy in Japan.
That was a great moment when the two sides of the narrator's life came together.
Ciao :)
Massimo
Megapede
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-megapede.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Megapede »

I agree with this sentiment as we could die at any time and it is so easy for misunderstandings to happen especially when in an argument. Thus letting them know this makes sure that if anything happens they are reassured.
"Forget everything that you think you know." - Doctor Strange
Bles
Currently Reading: Dance of Dreams
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bles.html
Latest Review: Nettie Boo by Judy Adams Brown

Post by Bles »

The greatest lesson I learnt was to keep pushing on and on even I feel that I can't anymore or when I feel that I have done to it my best, I still can. Also, friendship is one thing we shouldn't take for granted. We should hold our friends dearly because they are an important recipe in our life.
Books are beautiful.
Leyla Ann
Favorite Author: Jane Austen
Favorite Book: Call Me by Your Name
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla-ann.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy
fav_author_id: 2379

Post by Leyla Ann »

I have learned after reading this book that compromises in the name of family shall have a limit. Although I believe in the necessity of such sacrifices, I think when one reaches the point of compromising themselves all along, it'll eventually have a negative effect on the family altogether.
People who read are hiders. They hide who they are. People who hide don't always like who they are.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

Leyla Ann wrote: 26 Jan 2020, 17:28 I have learned after reading this book that compromises in the name of family shall have a limit. Although I believe in the necessity of such sacrifices, I think when one reaches the point of compromising themselves all along, it'll eventually have a negative effect on the family altogether.
So true! Compromise are supposed to help the family work, but when they cripple the family it means that there was something wrong with them.
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”