What life lesson did you draw from "Man Mission" and how do you see it impacting your life?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Laura Lee
Currently Reading: Holiday in Death 
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-lee.html
Latest Review: My ABC "Chair" Book by Barbara H. Hartsfield

Re: What life lesson did you draw from "Man Mission" and how do you see it impacting your life?

Post by Laura Lee »

DorcasToo wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 02:35 I think my biggest life lesson is friendships are to be treasured. I have three friends I have had since campus days but nowadays we don't meet as much. I am going to rekindle this, visits, calls and definitely trips. Being there for each other in the toughest of times and the happiest ones. That's what am taking with me.
Yes, and the longer a person is out of school and in the work-a-day world, the harder it can be to establish new friendships.
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
― Groucho Marx, The Essential Groucho: Writings For By And About Groucho Marx
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Laura Lee wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 08:12
DorcasToo wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 02:35 I think my biggest life lesson is friendships are to be treasured. I have three friends I have had since campus days but nowadays we don't meet as much. I am going to rekindle this, visits, calls and definitely trips. Being there for each other in the toughest of times and the happiest ones. That's what am taking with me.
Yes, and the longer a person is out of school and in the work-a-day world, the harder it can be to establish new friendships.
That's true it's a real struggle. So today I called my girlfriends and organised a dinner for next weekend to see if we can rekindle this.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

DorcasToo wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 15:33
That's true it's a real struggle. So today I called my girlfriends and organised a dinner for next weekend to see if we can rekindle this.
That is soooo cool! You could even start your own girlfriend tradition: monthly dinners; yearly . . . whatevers. You could invite them to read the book, too, so they could be inspired, too! :D
Laura Lee

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

Laura Lee wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 16:28
DorcasToo wrote: 11 Jan 2020, 15:33

That is soooo cool! You could even start your own girlfriend tradition: monthly dinners; yearly . . . whatevers. You could invite them to read the book, too, so they could be inspired, too! :D
I hadn't thought about the idea of reading the book. You are right it will be a tradition. Thanks
Saraion
Currently Reading: Spirituality for REAL
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Saraion »

I was impressed by Peter. Fear can be annoying but it takes courage,
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Saraion wrote: 12 Jan 2020, 02:40 I was impressed by Peter. Fear can be annoying but it takes courage,
Hmmm. That's a good point. Courage isn't the absence of fear, but doing something anyway despite fear. Thanks for sharing!
Laura Lee

Gacau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gacau.html
Latest Review: Divided World by Kenneth Pickering

Post by Gacau »

Laura Lee wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 09:30
Gacau wrote: 06 Jan 2020, 07:59 Some of the lessons I've Learnt are:

I should value friendships because at some point you'll really need them. There are friends who sticks so close yet sometimes I don't realize the value they put in our friendship. The book has stirred me up to be deliberate enough to create time for this friendships.

Despite of how busy I may be or rather how many engagements I may have, I should learn to honour my commitments.

The other key lesson is not to give up as a man.
Hm. I like that, Gacau: "The book has stirred me up to be deliberate enough to create time for this friendships." Once you get out of school, it takes effort to find the time to invest in friendships, but it's important. Thanks for your response! This was the sort of response I was looking for when I asked the question. :)
Thank you Laura Lee
Magnify3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-magnify3.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Magnify3 »

I think I drew a life lesson right at the very beginning. The protagonist allowed his Dad to decide for him and even if a part of him seemed to see red flags he went along with the decision. Later he also let Rachael decide about the job and yet he was unhappy. It was all about making more money. Sometimes we can make others decide for us or we want to please others and instead we are not open about how it affects us at that moment.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I feel that the strongest theme in the book is the importance of friendship. True friends are hard to find and sometimes they can offer the kind of support that even families can't.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

Magnify3 wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 17:23 I think I drew a life lesson right at the very beginning. The protagonist allowed his Dad to decide for him and even if a part of him seemed to see red flags he went along with the decision. Later he also let Rachael decide about the job and yet he was unhappy. It was all about making more money. Sometimes we can make others decide for us or we want to please others and instead we are not open about how it affects us at that moment.
I can relate to that. I ended up going into nursing because it was what my mother wanted me to do. Although there are parts of the career that I look back on fondly (I am now disabled) I always found it stressful and it was not where my true interests were.
Laura Lee

Post by Laura Lee »

Magnify3 wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 17:23 I think I drew a life lesson right at the very beginning. The protagonist allowed his Dad to decide for him and even if a part of him seemed to see red flags he went along with the decision. Later he also let Rachael decide about the job and yet he was unhappy. It was all about making more money. Sometimes we can make others decide for us or we want to please others and instead we are not open about how it affects us at that moment.
That's very insightful. Those choices ended up having lasting-consequences on his life, didn't they? Thanks for your comment!
Laura Lee

NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

So true! He did what he thought he was supposed to do, and kept on relying on other people's choices even if that became increasingly painful for him to do that.
Ciao :)
Massimo
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 15 Jan 2020, 17:48 I feel that the strongest theme in the book is the importance of friendship. True friends are hard to find and sometimes they can offer the kind of support that even families can't.
For the narrator, his friends seemed the only source of stability and happiness.
Ciao :)
Massimo
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

I agree. If people just gain the courage to get out the box, great things happen. We just need that bit of a push in order to get all that we possibly dream of.
Wyland
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 444
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wyland.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone

Post by Wyland »

The biggest takeaway is to look for friends that I am comfortable with, especially while practicing my hobby, while at the same time allowing me to be who I want to be.

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”