Overall rating and opinion of "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey"

Use this forum to discuss the January 2020 Book of the month, "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey", by Eytan Uliel.
Azokamchi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-azokamchi.html
Latest Review: The Most Unlikely Champion by Vera Koo

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Man Mission: 4 men, 15 years, 1 epic journey"

Post by Azokamchi »

For me this book gets 3 out of 4.
I really loved the interplay of culture and beliefs in the book though I pondered on the idea of having the unnamed protagonist which may be the author in the book. The 4 gentlemen successfully conveyed the value of resilience in life’s journey. It is very commendable that their injuries on their mission did not deter them. This book is a good piece and would really interest travelers.
Wordlessly
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordlessly.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Wordlessly »

I've yet to read it but from the summary and review I get the feeling that I will love this. I love books that make me want to travel the world. Additionally, I can just sit in one place and travel the whole world through mere words.
Tavaiel26
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tavaiel26.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Tavaiel26 »

This was a surprise pick for me. I've had so much fun with what I read so far of this story of "manly men doing manly things together", the chemistry of the characters is great, and it's very easy to read without compromising strength of writing (the first night in the first trip to New Zealand for example) Will keep reading it for sure!
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

Stephanie Elizabeth wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 08:05 I, too, wondered the same thing about the main protagonist's lack of a name. Before posting on the discussion board, I ensured that I had all of my notes on this book, but there was nothing to identify the main character. I wonder why the author chose to do this?

I am thoroughly enjoying this book; it has everything: action, friendship and subtle funny moments. I love the whole concept of taking a yearly adventure--not all of us are afforded the luxury of taking a week off from our lives--and it is in these adventurers that the men learn things about themselves that they never knew. The writing flowed smoothly, and the characters were quite entertaining, especially when giving each other a hard time.

I am about halfway through the book and I honestly have nothing negative to say! I think this is my favorite Book of the Month that I have read thus far.

I give it 4 out of 4 stars and would recommend it to readers who enjoy fast-paced books that have an element of adventure and boast well-developed characters!
I haven't started reading this book yet, but your review is very interesting. I think I would be interested in picking up this book because you have described many elements of a book that I think I would enjoy (action, humor, adventure).
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

It sounds like the relationships between characters in this book is very compelling. I think I would be interested in reading this book.
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I just finished writing the review for the book and I rated it 3 out 4. I enjoyed reading the book and it was interesting to read about the different countries the men visited, however there was quite a bit of swearing and rudeness so I marked it down due to that.
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
PRECIOUSreads
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preciousreads.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by PRECIOUSreads »

Haven't read it entirely but yes I would give it a very high rating. The book screams adventure, the kind of read I tend to enjoy from time to time however it does lack some female attitude.
PRECIOUSreads :techie-studyingbrown:
Princepetr10
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Princepetr10 »

Nice comments so far , I will love to read this book . I want to see how it progresses in this book . I like reading books on traveling and a little bit of adventure .
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Nerea wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 02:30 I'm currently reading the book. It's an exciting and adventurous story that grips the reader's attention. The story reveals to the reader the answer to the question "Who is a man?" Exploring different cities is the best treat one can offer to him/herself. And the four gentlemen did well to do that albeit the responsibilities they had as employees, husbands, and fathers. Though they suffered injuries on their missions, they didn't give up. This brings up the impression that one should stick to their commitments come what may. Additionally, endurance is the key factor for one to complete a course in life.

I like the diverse culture and beliefs in the book. One belief that amuses me is the Siberian belief that "a real man catches and kills their own food." The characters are funny and interact freely with each other. The reader can feel their bond of love reading through their conversations. The mission rules are hilarious, funny, and thought provoking.

I don't understand why the protagonist is not identified by a unique name. I kept asking myself, Is it a feature in writing? or Is the protagonist the author of the book?

The book will appeal to those who love to travel and explore different region and cities in the world.

I will rate the book after I'm done reading the book.
I love your description of this book. It makes me want to grab a copy. I like stories with some adventure, it could be a good book for me.
Moray_001
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
Latest Review: Of All Faiths & None by Andrew Tweeddale

Post by Moray_001 »

Nicolene75 wrote: 15 Mar 2020, 04:47 From the sample pages, I gather that this is a fun book. I really enjoyed reading it and found myself laughing out loud and having to explain to the people around me why I'm laughing at my pc! A huge thumbs up from my side. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Oh I love a good book with humor.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

Moray_001 wrote: 25 Mar 2020, 17:30
Nerea wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 02:30 I'm currently reading the book. It's an exciting and adventurous story that grips the reader's attention. The story reveals to the reader the answer to the question "Who is a man?" Exploring different cities is the best treat one can offer to him/herself. And the four gentlemen did well to do that albeit the responsibilities they had as employees, husbands, and fathers. Though they suffered injuries on their missions, they didn't give up. This brings up the impression that one should stick to their commitments come what may. Additionally, endurance is the key factor for one to complete a course in life.

I like the diverse culture and beliefs in the book. One belief that amuses me is the Siberian belief that "a real man catches and kills their own food." The characters are funny and interact freely with each other. The reader can feel their bond of love reading through their conversations. The mission rules are hilarious, funny, and thought provoking.

I don't understand why the protagonist is not identified by a unique name. I kept asking myself, Is it a feature in writing? or Is the protagonist the author of the book?

The book will appeal to those who love to travel and explore different region and cities in the world.

I will rate the book after I'm done reading the book.
I love your description of this book. It makes me want to grab a copy. I like stories with some adventure, it could be a good book for me.
Thank you. The book is worth the time. Not only will you be entertained but also learn about life and travel tips.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
KimberlyS88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberlys88.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by KimberlyS88 »

I’m reading this book right now that I got from Amazon. I’ve enjoyed reading about the places they go and I’m excited to see how it unfolds!
FABIAN_BATS
Favorite Book: Can I Be Frank?
Currently Reading: Witnesses to The Crucifixion
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fabian-bats.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles
Reading Device: B07ZT3ZMJ7

Post by FABIAN_BATS »

I enjoyed the book alot. The story and it's really developed nicely. The main take away is that being a good man is not a walk in the park. It requires a whole lot of effort and sacrifice. I think if the narrator had made more sacrifices for his family. Things could have gone a lot smoother for them.
Fabian
HanElizabeth397
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hanelizabeth397.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by HanElizabeth397 »

I always like books that travel to various locations & there was no exception here! My favourite part was easily the travel descriptions but the plot also moved things along nicely and I enjoyed reading about the activities they did in each place
Sithmi
Currently Reading: Honest Endings
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sithmi.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Sithmi »

I read half of the book and seems to be interesting. there is friendship, humor, travel and adventure in the story. it makes the readers curious to read more and more

Return to “Discuss "Man Mission" by Eytan Uliel”