Strong female characters

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Strong female characters

Post by DorcasToo »

I think the book carries quite a fair number of ladies. Starting with Kelly Turbulo who isn't just a damsel in distress. Cynthia who is a Secretary and PI, with her team of ladies who save the day. Even the enemy camp is led by a lady Sue Lynn. I think the author has created really strong female characters. What do you think?
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

Of all the female characters I like Sue Rhee kin the most.
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

Yes I agree. Kelly actually is quite a strong character, fighting off the attacker at the beginning of the book. Sue Rhee-jin is also a strong, female character. She is actually the leader of the small terrorist group, which is interesting.
amihughson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amihughson.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by amihughson »

I have to disagree. I don't feel like the female characters really did anything to define themselves as strong. While it is interesting to note that the "bodyguards" are both females in a traditionally male role, as well as the terrorists team leader, them being female came across as inconsequential. Any single female character in this story could have been swapped for a man, and there would literally be no impact on the story itself, with perhaps the exception of Kelly. Kelly was written with more female mannerisms that even LGBT male characters would feel cliched if they exhibited the same behavior. As for strength, Kelly swaps between paranoia, hysterics and general uselessness. Tom showed just as much prowess with technology as Kelly is supposed to have (ie the part where he hacks into a database using his phone) and it seemed like Kelly's only real motivation to be part of "Team USA" was to keep an eye out for Tom and contribute to the supposed "romance" part of this novel. That's not exactly what I think of when I think of a strong female character.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

A lot of books nowadays carry strong female characters that represent women empowerment and this shows how the world changes where equality between sexes is emphasized and given due importance.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

I couldn’t agree more! They were all strong and powerful yet remained sexy and feminine.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

I agree! I thought Sharon was a strong character too. She never displayed any fear and was always ready to jump right in there. :lire4:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

It doesn't lead the story for making a women a strong character here. But it shows that in any event like this, when women was involve, they should think of better things to handle such unfavorable happenings. Good enough, that the woman involved has a siblings who are a senator.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

amihughson wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 13:16 I have to disagree. I don't feel like the female characters really did anything to define themselves as strong. While it is interesting to note that the "bodyguards" are both females in a traditionally male role, as well as the terrorists team leader, them being female came across as inconsequential. Any single female character in this story could have been swapped for a man, and there would literally be no impact on the story itself, with perhaps the exception of Kelly. Kelly was written with more female mannerisms that even LGBT male characters would feel cliched if they exhibited the same behavior. As for strength, Kelly swaps between paranoia, hysterics and general uselessness. Tom showed just as much prowess with technology as Kelly is supposed to have (ie the part where he hacks into a database using his phone) and it seemed like Kelly's only real motivation to be part of "Team USA" was to keep an eye out for Tom and contribute to the supposed "romance" part of this novel. That's not exactly what I think of when I think of a strong female character.
This seems to be typical in this style of light reading.
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

There are some interesting thoughts here in the comments. I think that it's good that so many of the main characters are female - flawed or not.
peace starts with a smile...
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

amihughson wrote: 13 Dec 2019, 13:16 I have to disagree. I don't feel like the female characters really did anything to define themselves as strong. While it is interesting to note that the "bodyguards" are both females in a traditionally male role, as well as the terrorists team leader, them being female came across as inconsequential. Any single female character in this story could have been swapped for a man, and there would literally be no impact on the story itself, with perhaps the exception of Kelly. Kelly was written with more female mannerisms that even LGBT male characters would feel cliched if they exhibited the same behavior. As for strength, Kelly swaps between paranoia, hysterics and general uselessness. Tom showed just as much prowess with technology as Kelly is supposed to have (ie the part where he hacks into a database using his phone) and it seemed like Kelly's only real motivation to be part of "Team USA" was to keep an eye out for Tom and contribute to the supposed "romance" part of this novel. That's not exactly what I think of when I think of a strong female character.
This is my take too. And don't forget that Kelly's role was also to bring everyone drinks. I really disliked how she was portrayed. It feels like she is there only to be a connection between Mike the senator and this new book, and make Tom's life easier.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

Sharon, Abby, and Cynthia are all adept at their jobs. The leader of the North Korean team seemed inadequately trained for her mission. However, she was feared by her subordinates. Kelly seemed knowledgeable about computers but came off as a "damsel in distress." Overall, I felt there was too much emphasis on the superficial aspects of the female characters in proportion to their abilities.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

Oh no!!!!! I thought there was more to female characters. Now I am not sure if I want to read the book. I don't understand why can't any female characters in books or movies be a more realistic, like doing important things instead of being just there for namesake or superficial.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I absolutely love books that have strong female characters but the way that some of the female characters were portrayed in this book didn't really show them as strong. I felt like some of the female characters were there to complement the male characters.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

I think this is quite a unique perspective of viewing it and I think you might be right

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”