Believable or Not So Believable Moments

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
fictaddict
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictaddict.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Re: Believable or Not So Believable Moments

Post by fictaddict »

Tomah wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 11:02 I didn't see many problems with the main characters' actions aside from the fact that they achieved things far too easily, often due to the antagonists' incompetence. Then there's that moment when Tom hacks into a system with just his phone in a few minutes to get information about the car plate. That's probably one the most unbelievable parts.
Yes, you're so right. Sometimes when the baddies are TOO incompetent, it prevents readers from seeing our protagonists being really smart and successful. It feels different when a protagonist solves a difficult problem than when a protagonist takes advantage of a stupid villain's mistakes.
nicole-adrianne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-adrianne.html
Latest Review: Chubby Wubbles by M. J. Abrams

Post by nicole-adrianne »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 10:57 My take on this book was that it’s more of a mockery of a real event that could happen, but probably won’t (think funny movie like McHale’s navy or Paul Blart Mall cop). The incompetent bad guys and everything working out for the good guys made for a light-hearted comedic thriller for me.
I agree that this book reminded me of Mall Cop! I wish my expectations for this book had been set properly with a comparison like this prior to my reading it. If I had treated it as a parody or a comedy rather than a meaningful piece of literature, I would have enjoyed it much more.
One feels like a duck, splashing around in all this wet. And when one feels like a duck, one is happy!
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

I could say there were instances in which some scenes were believable, however, some scenes involving technology was quite unbelievable like Tom hacking a system using his phone.
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Sharon2056 wrote: 01 Jan 2020, 14:30 I could say there were instances in which some scenes were believable, however, some scenes involving technology was quite unbelievable like Tom hacking a system using his phone.
Yeah, and Tom having more recurses than Steve was a stretch.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
nfdoughe
Favorite Author: Frances Hodgson Burnett
Favorite Book: Till We Have Faces
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nfdoughe.html
Latest Review: Willow James and the Queen of U’i’s Crown by Jett Blackk
fav_author_id: 2591

Post by nfdoughe »

I think most of the book was pretty unbelievable, but I also think that's okay for this story. I take it as entertainment, not anything to be read into too deeply. It could definitely be edited to be a very intense, realistic story, but there's also something to be said for more light-hearted fiction like this.
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

If the story has so unrealistic plot then I would love to see how it is given a real ending.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

B Creech wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 04:46
amihughson wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 19:17 I feel there are so many unbelievable things, but the first thing that struck me was Kelly going to check the back of the shop (which is the catalyst for literally everything that follows). Whether she believed an employee to be out back having a smoke break or not, whether the shop is small or not, if you don't hear SOMETHING (movement, voices, etc) after yelling into the back for assistance, the typical person isn't going to go behind the counter and through a door clearly marked EMPLOYEES ONLY looking for someone.
I absolutely agree! Knock on the door and wait, maybe? But don't just go in! Another thing that stood out to me was how Kelly was so hesitant to go in with Steve when they went back to break into the computers! She went in when she was alone, was attacked and knew enough self-defense to get away, yet acted scared when the whole group was with her!
I too felt the same. Her character was inconsistent. Like fearless when alone but a damsel in distress when in the group. I didnt understand the logic behind it.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

tannus wrote: 03 Jan 2020, 00:59
B Creech wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 04:46
amihughson wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 19:17 I feel there are so many unbelievable things, but the first thing that struck me was Kelly going to check the back of the shop (which is the catalyst for literally everything that follows). Whether she believed an employee to be out back having a smoke break or not, whether the shop is small or not, if you don't hear SOMETHING (movement, voices, etc) after yelling into the back for assistance, the typical person isn't going to go behind the counter and through a door clearly marked EMPLOYEES ONLY looking for someone.
I absolutely agree! Knock on the door and wait, maybe? But don't just go in! Another thing that stood out to me was how Kelly was so hesitant to go in with Steve when they went back to break into the computers! She went in when she was alone, was attacked and knew enough self-defense to get away, yet acted scared when the whole group was with her!
I too felt the same. Her character was inconsistent. Like fearless when alone but a damsel in distress when in the group. I didnt understand the logic behind it.
That's it exactly! I didn't understand that part either!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

Tomah wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 11:02 I didn't see many problems with the main characters' actions aside from the fact that they achieved things far too easily, often due to the antagonists' incompetence. Then there's that moment when Tom hacks into a system with just his phone in a few minutes to get information about the car plate. That's probably one the most unbelievable parts.
I also felt that things came too easily for the USA team. Kelly's computer skills come to mind for me. She got info off the terrorist computers so fast. I don't know much about computers but that didn't seem realistic to me.
Kaylee Elmer
Currently Reading: Then Comes The Flood
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaylee-elmer.html
Latest Review: A Life In Another Time by Dr. Wayne Woods

Post by Kaylee Elmer »

nfdoughe wrote: 02 Jan 2020, 16:48 I think most of the book was pretty unbelievable, but I also think that's okay for this story. I take it as entertainment, not anything to be read into too deeply. It could definitely be edited to be a very intense, realistic story, but there's also something to be said for more light-hearted fiction like this.
Good point! It wasn't necessary for this book to be 100% believable. It would probably actually appeal to fewer readers if it was too intense and realistic.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 10:57 My take on this book was that it’s more of a mockery of a real event that could happen, but probably won’t (think funny movie like McHale’s navy or Paul Blart Mall cop). The incompetent bad guys and everything working out for the good guys made for a light-hearted comedic thriller for me.
I completely agree, a comedic thrillér. I read another book by Dorothy May Mercer and you would think two different authors wrote the book in the other one the characters were sophomoric yet dealing with issues. I believe she hit the tone she was looking for with this novel.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
tanner87cbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tanner87cbs.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by tanner87cbs »

I feel like none of it was probable. I still enjoyed the book, and sometimes not probable is okay.
:)
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

What about the complete 180 degree change in the supreme leader's character? Initially he's a scary and cunning man, and towards the end he becomes a whiny child!
Oma jibrin
Currently Reading: Killing Abel
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by Oma jibrin »

Hmmmm i hope i get to enjoy reading the book from the comments I'm seeing.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

"Would real federal agents, etc., behave the way these characters did?" This is exactly what the author wants us to feel that there are people out there who are not doing the right thing. There are people out there who are behaving badly. This is the problem we have in society today.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”