Believable or Not So Believable Moments

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Believable or Not So Believable Moments

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

I found myself often wondering about whether or not the actions of the characters were realistic or not, specifically in regard to the way they handled the investigation and the terroristic threat. What do you think? What moments felt improbable? What moments were successfully crafted? Would real federal agents, etc., behave the way these characters did?
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

I agree that they were several things about the terrorists I found unbelievable. When Steve is talking to Rhee Su-jin at breakfast and she messes up her cover by not begging about to answer his questions correctly about where she lived in California. She's supposed to be highly trained and best of the best! Then when Dear Leader forgot/ didn't know which coast NYC and Washington DC were on. How could you plot a terrorist attack and not be familiar with the country's geography.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

My take on this book was that it’s more of a mockery of a real event that could happen, but probably won’t (think funny movie like McHale’s navy or Paul Blart Mall cop). The incompetent bad guys and everything working out for the good guys made for a light-hearted comedic thriller for me.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I didn't see many problems with the main characters' actions aside from the fact that they achieved things far too easily, often due to the antagonists' incompetence. Then there's that moment when Tom hacks into a system with just his phone in a few minutes to get information about the car plate. That's probably one the most unbelievable parts.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

This is a good topic for this book.

One main thing that stood out to me as not being believable is the CIA and government in general allowing a regular cop and his wife have anything to do with the investigation.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:

Post by Reynaa »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 10:57 My take on this book was that it’s more of a mockery of a real event that could happen, but probably won’t (think funny movie like McHale’s navy or Paul Blart Mall cop). The incompetent bad guys and everything working out for the good guys made for a light-hearted comedic thriller for me.
That's exactly how I viewed this book. It was taken as a light-hearted, feel-good type of story.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:

Post by Reynaa »

Helene_2008 wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 10:48 I agree that they were several things about the terrorists I found unbelievable. When Steve is talking to Rhee Su-jin at breakfast and she messes up her cover by not begging about to answer his questions correctly about where she lived in California. She's supposed to be highly trained and best of the best! Then when Dear Leader forgot/ didn't know which coast NYC and Washington DC were on. How could you plot a terrorist attack and not be familiar with the country's geography.
I actually think the terrorist leader's lack of intelligence was a poke at current/former leaders' intelligence and capabilities. This book was strongly patriotic for America. At least, that's how I saw it.
Erin Dydek
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Reynaa wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 13:08 This is a good topic for this book.

One main thing that stood out to me as not being believable is the CIA and government in general allowing a regular cop and his wife have anything to do with the investigation.
Yes! I remember thinking at one point that this was a bit outside of his jurisdiction lol
Reynaa
Currently Reading:

Post by Reynaa »

Everydayadventure15 wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 17:36
Reynaa wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 13:08 This is a good topic for this book.

Yes! I remember thinking at one point that this was a bit outside of his jurisdiction lol
Haha he definitely was! And his wife is allowed to be a part of the investigation because ???... all she brings is showing them initially and conveniently can get into the computer programs.
amihughson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amihughson.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by amihughson »

I feel there are so many unbelievable things, but the first thing that struck me was Kelly going to check the back of the shop (which is the catalyst for literally everything that follows). Whether she believed an employee to be out back having a smoke break or not, whether the shop is small or not, if you don't hear SOMETHING (movement, voices, etc) after yelling into the back for assistance, the typical person isn't going to go behind the counter and through a door clearly marked EMPLOYEES ONLY looking for someone.
Brenda Creech
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 356
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

amihughson wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 19:17 I feel there are so many unbelievable things, but the first thing that struck me was Kelly going to check the back of the shop (which is the catalyst for literally everything that follows). Whether she believed an employee to be out back having a smoke break or not, whether the shop is small or not, if you don't hear SOMETHING (movement, voices, etc) after yelling into the back for assistance, the typical person isn't going to go behind the counter and through a door clearly marked EMPLOYEES ONLY looking for someone.
I absolutely agree! Knock on the door and wait, maybe? But don't just go in! Another thing that stood out to me was how Kelly was so hesitant to go in with Steve when they went back to break into the computers! She went in when she was alone, was attacked and knew enough self-defense to get away, yet acted scared when the whole group was with her!
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

There were many things that stood out as unbelievable. I think everything that Kelly, Tom, Agatha and Steve did was a bit of a stretch. Why would CIA work with civilians? Do three trained agents need additional help from untrained Kelly? I get that Tom is a cop but still...So I agree with previous things all of you mentioned.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Tomah wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 11:02 I didn't see many problems with the main characters' actions aside from the fact that they achieved things far too easily, often due to the antagonists' incompetence. Then there's that moment when Tom hacks into a system with just his phone in a few minutes to get information about the car plate. That's probably one the most unbelievable parts.
I agree things were very easy for them.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

Reynaa wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 13:09
Everydayadventure15 wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 10:57 My take on this book was that it’s more of a mockery of a real event that could happen, but probably won’t (think funny movie like McHale’s navy or Paul Blart Mall cop). The incompetent bad guys and everything working out for the good guys made for a light-hearted comedic thriller for me.
That's exactly how I viewed this book. It was taken as a light-hearted, feel-good type of story.
That's why I enjoyed this book so much. It was a great piece of brain candy and a real exercise in the suspension of disbelief. Strangely enough, I loved it.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 19:07 I found myself often wondering about whether or not the actions of the characters were realistic or not, specifically in regard to the way they handled the investigation and the terroristic threat. What do you think? What moments felt improbable? What moments were successfully crafted? Would real federal agents, etc., behave the way these characters did?
For me, this was an easy read and a test of my ability to suspend disbelief. I actually loved it.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”