Was soft spot created for the Team USA?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Re: Was soft spot created for the Team USA?

Post by Nuel Ukah »

maxiphemmax wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 00:08 Right from the spying by Steve Spalding, to the missing handset, to being followed by Team USA to the launching site, and to many several undetected scene by the terrorist group. Do you think the author created a soft spot or quick alienation of the terrorist group by the Team USA?
For me, I think the author did. These terrorist group are quite well trained and the author was supposed to created some suspense in that direction.
I don't consider this to be an issue because not all missions are hard and suspenseful. There are easy wins and very easy wins sometimes.
mensah2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mensah2.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by mensah2 »

The author perfectly created some soft spot in the form of suspense. The author created a soft spot or quick alienation of the terrorist group by the Team USA.
Blindjew
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blindjew.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Blindjew »

It was a bit convenient how quickly things fell into place, but that's to be expected of a campy romance. The story falls into place for the protagonists, even if the enemy is competent. A combination of skill and lucky circumstances play together to deliver this slice of extraordinary lives among McBride's friends, staff, and family.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

The author disappointed me a great deal when he provided Team USA with easy victory. Jack Winnick in his book, East Wind gave the US hard-earned victory over terrorists keen on bombing America. Some of these terrorists have lived in the US long enough to understand how their security apparatus function an hence have a way of avoiding being nabbed. The lost phone incident has been simply used by the author as a yardstick to let Team USA easily triumph over the terrorists. We can't generally assume that the terrorist are hell-bent on accomplishing their evil deeds to the point of throwing all caution to the wind.
Bet on Me! :idea:
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by maxiphemmax »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 23:36 The author disappointed me a great deal when he provided Team USA with easy victory. Jack Winnick in his book, East Wind gave the US hard-earned victory over terrorists keen on bombing America. Some of these terrorists have lived in the US long enough to understand how their security apparatus function an hence have a way of avoiding being nabbed. The lost phone incident has been simply used by the author as a yardstick to let Team USA easily triumph over the terrorists. We can't generally assume that the terrorist are hell-bent on accomplishing their evil deeds to the point of throwing all caution to the wind.

Your analysis was just so on point. Some in the comment box already said the terrorist even planned to fail. :D
AntonelaMaria
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Kanda_theGreat wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 23:36 The author disappointed me a great deal when he provided Team USA with easy victory. Jack Winnick in his book, East Wind gave the US hard-earned victory over terrorists keen on bombing America. Some of these terrorists have lived in the US long enough to understand how their security apparatus function an hence have a way of avoiding being nabbed. The lost phone incident has been simply used by the author as a yardstick to let Team USA easily triumph over the terrorists. We can't generally assume that the terrorist are hell-bent on accomplishing their evil deeds to the point of throwing all caution to the wind.
Great point. But I have to say I wasn't disappointed because I wasn't expecting all that much in terms of a strong plotline.
I love your profile picture btw.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

maxiphemmax wrote: 21 Dec 2019, 01:58

Your analysis was just so on point. Some in the comment box already said the terrorist even planned to fail. :D
The terrorists that are planning to fail!! Hmmm... That would be convenient for everyone wouldn't it?! Lol... The plot is so simple and faulty as are the characters. Maybe we just expect way too much from this book.
Prisallen
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 233
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-prisallen.html
Latest Review: Nirvatra by April Thomas

Post by Prisallen »

maxiphemmax wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 02:50
B Creech wrote: 07 Dec 2019, 18:40 I agree the win came a bit too easy for Team USA. The terrorist group seemed to be oblivious to anyone watching them. And the phone situation just isn't believable to me. Anyone can track their cell phone but I would think a terrorist would definitely want to know where it was and silence the one who took it! :eusa-think:
Exactly my point. Despite their ability to maneuver their way with the launching and the transporting of the nukes.
That is true. Also, when Kelly was seen at the novelty store and got away. Then, someone took pictures of her while she was sitting and waiting for Tom to return. What was that about? Nothing seemed to come from that.
Kanda_theGreat
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kanda-thegreat.html
Latest Review: Born To Survive by Kylie-Anne Evans

Post by Kanda_theGreat »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 24 Dec 2019, 11:45
Great point. But I have to say I wasn't disappointed because I wasn't expecting all that much in terms of a strong plotline.
I love your profile picture btw.
Aaah... Thank you for the complements
Bet on Me! :idea:
[Danielle]
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielle.html
Latest Review: The Global Reconstruction Project by S. Cotton

Post by [Danielle] »

I definitely think Team USA won too easily. I kept waiting for something to happen to make things more difficult/tense for Team USA, but it never came.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:

Post by AntonelaMaria »

[Danielle] wrote: 25 Dec 2019, 12:26 I definitely think Team USA won too easily. I kept waiting for something to happen to make things more difficult/tense for Team USA, but it never came.
You are right, there wasn't any real excitement in the plotline.
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Wow, from the answers here, it looks like the villains were very caricaturised!!
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Blindjew wrote: 20 Dec 2019, 17:19 It was a bit convenient how quickly things fell into place, but that's to be expected of a campy romance. The story falls into place for the protagonists, even if the enemy is competent. A combination of skill and lucky circumstances play together to deliver this slice of extraordinary lives among McBride's friends, staff, and family.
'but that's to be expected of a campy romance.'
That's the book in a nutshell for me. Great comment.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

maxiphemmax wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 00:08 Right from the spying by Steve Spalding, to the missing handset, to being followed by Team USA to the launching site, and to many several undetected scene by the terrorist group. Do you think the author created a soft spot or quick alienation of the terrorist group by the Team USA?
For me, I think the author did. These terrorist group are quite well trained and the author was supposed to created some suspense in that direction.
I think things went too easily for Team USA. I would have found a lot more interest in the story if there was actual conflict. Things sort of just happen without any real challenge.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
diamonnd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diamonnd.html
Latest Review: The Most Popular Freak in School by Crystal Tyler (Tyler Lormel)

Post by diamonnd »

You bring up a really good point. I definitely agree with you. Things seemed a little too easy at times and I wish there had been more challenging moments for them. I think it would have definitely helped build suspense.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”