Cold Relationship?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Re: Cold Relationship?

Post by Reynaa »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 18:14
cpru68 wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 13:46 As I’m giving this second novel a try after reading another book by this author, I’m finding that she has a tendency to not develop her characters and their relationships that great. In the prior one, a woman has a one night stand that turns into this weird relationship. This one, they are married and reflect some of the same characteristics as the one night stand couple. There’s just no depth so far as I see.
If the book you're referring to is Cynthia and Dan Cyber War, that book had the most awkward erotic scene I've ever read between Cynthia and Sky Eastman, who is Cynthia's husband in this book. I'm glad the author opted not to be as descriptive with the intimate scenes in this book. She just doesn't have a good command of that sort of scenario. :tiphat:
Oh man that sounds awful haha. I'm glad for the warning because I am considering reading that book!
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Post by joshfee77 »

This does seem like a cold start to Tom and Kelly's marriage. People at the honeymoon stage generally don't split up and go their separate ways. If they were an old married couple, on the other hand... :wink:
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

faint9 wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 13:43 We find Tom and Kelly being newlyweds. They are in their honeymoon whereby they are supposed to be together having fun. Instead Tom goes out exploring the place with a dive boat while Kelly is out in a tour bus. Everyone minding his/ her business.

Do you think that their marriage is a bit cold, has started on a low note or it just one way of having fun independently?
I think their marriage was odd. Their independence on each other was unlike a normal marriage. I think their relationship was not based on love.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

mmm17 wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 11:02 They definitely did not seem madly in love, which one expects to be the case with a newly-wed couple. I felt that this aspect detracted a little from the plot's believability.
Yeah, that's exactly what I thought.
amihughson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amihughson.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by amihughson »

I'm on the fence with this one. If you don't live together before marriage then it could take a while to get into a rhythm as a couple who now spends most of their waking hours together. It does seem like Kelly is much more concerned with Tom than he is with her, but sadly this has been my experience with men in general. The moments we see of them alone together set a better tone, like when they are watching the tv show together. It's quiet and comfortable. They also discuss what they want to do for food. This is a typical scene with any kind of couple and it serves as a nice counterpoint to all the action. Romances don't have to be steamy and couple-centric all the time to be valid. I'm wondering if maybe it seems like they are cold with each other simply because we don't get enough glimpses of these mundane couple moments. The action swallows up pretty much everything else that's going on.
SHALLU RAWAL
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shallu-rawal.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by SHALLU RAWAL »

They were not likely to be crazy in love. They both like to enjoy separately. The book's main focus was the story and not characters. So, that's why I think that the author keep the story light hearted.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

faint9 wrote: 05 Dec 2019, 13:43 We find Tom and Kelly being newlyweds. They are in their honeymoon whereby they are supposed to be together having fun. Instead Tom goes out exploring the place with a dive boat while Kelly is out in a tour bus. Everyone minding his/ her business.

Do you think that their marriage is a bit cold, has started on a low note or it just one way of having fun independently?
Yes, I thought it was odd too. But I don't think romance novel is the right category for this book. I'd put this book under cozy mystery. I don't think there is any benefit to delving too deeply into plot and characters as I think it was written as an easy read, like brain candy.
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

Now that I think about it, I do find it quite weird for the couple to be apart so easily without batting an eyelid. I don't know how long either of them stayed before getting married, but that's the more reason why they should be sharing each other's air as much as they can during their honeymoon. It certainly appears to be a cold love.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
ashley_claire
Favorite Book: The Prince of Tides
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-claire.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by ashley_claire »

I agree that I don't think their relationship was fully developed. I certainly don't share all of my husband's interests and vice versa, but a honeymoon is the one place I would think you would make some compromises in order to spend time together. It just didn't ring true of a typical relationship for me.
LyorBoone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lyorboone.html
Latest Review: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream by Dr Frank L Douglas

Post by LyorBoone »

Reynaa wrote: 06 Dec 2019, 08:52 Their relationship seems under-developed and overshadowed by the rest of the story. The author can write se romance, as we've seen with Sharon and Steve, though not a lot of time seems invested by the author to do the same for Tom and Kelly.
It's unfortunate that many writers struggle to write romances after the chase is over. Sometimes it's like the writer takes a relationship for granted like some spouses do years after the honeymoon.
“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” - Mark Twain. Dare we say the same thing about every story that gets told in the world?
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

I think the book was more plot-based, and hence it didn't give much thought to the characters or deal with them in a realistic way. This is probably why they were unusually cold to each other.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

It does sound like the newlyweds lack a connection in terms of interests and doing things together. Since the purpose of the honeymoon is to do things with your spouse, it doesn’t make sense why they would be doing separate activities.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I hope I like the book. But after reading these my mind is struggling to decide. I really wanted to like the book because of the author's writing style :)
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

I think that the book focused more on the plot rather than developing relationships between the characters. I did not really notice this when I was reading the book, but now I can see where it looks like they had a cold relationship.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
mensah2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mensah2.html
Latest Review: Empowered by Dominica Lumazar

Post by mensah2 »

It seems there was a premarital affair before their marriage. So they thought it wise to mind their business since the honeymoon is not necessary.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”