Ending of this book( possible spoilers)

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Re: Ending of this book( possible spoilers)

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

My favorite character was Kim Jung Lo. He risked his life to alter the code of the EMP. I admired his courage.
Erin Dydek
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Shadowborn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 328
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erin-dydek.html
Latest Review: Northern Umbrage by Dennis Lorenz Ph.D.

Post by Erin Dydek »

Tomah wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 13:33 The ending didn't feel particularly ground-breaking since we already knew about Kim Jung Lo's sabotage, but I can't say I have any particular complaint. It ties the loose ends and gives a reasonable conclusion to the climax. Nothing spectacular, but it works.
I agree. I think I was happiest to know that Kim Jung Lo was acknowledged as the real hero who saved the world. It was also nice to know he escaped to live a simple life on the farm instead of being sent to a prison camp. But, yeah, the world was saved, everyone was happy, the end.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

ElizaBeth Adams wrote: 10 Dec 2019, 10:22 My favorite character was Kim Jung Lo. He risked his life to alter the code of the EMP. I admired his courage.
I agree. He was a true hero of this book.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Helene_2008
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helene-2008.html
Latest Review: Like A Mousetrap by Brandon Ellrich

Post by Helene_2008 »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 09 Dec 2019, 09:28
Helene_2008 wrote: 08 Dec 2019, 18:12 I thought the ending was pretty good. I did feel like all the ends were tied up. I do agree with lots of reviewers above that it did seem rushed.
Do you feel like build up was solid and then just everything kind off ended abrubtly?
Yes I would agree with that statement. I enjoyed the build up around whether or not they would stop the bomb. But once that was taken care up, the book ended rather quickly.
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

spencermack wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 20:18 I'm a teacher. I'm not blowing my own horn but teachers try to make the world a better place every day. There is no credit but there is a sense of a job well done and saved even without the credit, like teaching. Excellent book!
Okay I taught pre-school, special education pre-school and substituted Pre-K up to middle school, as well. I definitely more just felt like I stumbled through the day and questioned how great I was and if I'd done right by the kids. Haha. But there is definitely not a lot of credit for the work and hours teachers put in!
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

I found the ending rushed. It seemed like the blurbs rolling out during credits in a movie. Even though, I liked that Kim Jung lo's code worked. I did not like the part where dear leader doesn't have any repurcussion. I felt bad for general Lee actually. I wish general had the foresight to run away.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

Ub_10 wrote: 11 Dec 2019, 22:27 I found the ending rushed. It seemed like the blurbs rolling out during credits in a movie. Even though, I liked that Kim Jung lo's code worked. I did not like the part where dear leader doesn't have any repurcussion. I felt bad for general Lee actually. I wish general had the foresight to run away.
I don't like that DL doesn't suffer any repercussions either. But still if feels like something in real life what with many leaders reuining their countries and people without any consequences.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Urbashi Basu
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ub-10.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by Urbashi Basu »

:D So true, unfortunately. Since fantasy was mostly the way the book dealt about the threat to develop plot I wish it would continue by making president Bigelow's threat a reality.
Monishka Sharma
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monishka-sharma.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Monishka Sharma »

Reynaa wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 15:06 I liked the ending but it lost a bit of it's luster for me. It felt a little detached and rushed.
I felt that too... Abrupt ending but the hero working for country in shadows and all that is pretty good.
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

Reynaa wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 15:06 I liked the ending but it lost a bit of it's luster for me. It felt a little detached and rushed.
That is exactly how I felt about it. :tiphat:
amihughson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amihughson.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by amihughson »

I pretty much agree. Though rushed the ending tied everything up with a neat little bow. If it weren't for all the plot conveniences and the general lack of suspense I think I would have enjoyed it fine. As it was, it was sort of sad and predictable. At least, that's my opinion.
Echo Haapala
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-echo-haapala.html
Latest Review: Poseidon's Eye by Trisha O'Keefe

Post by Echo Haapala »

I really liked the ending of this book. To me, it seemed very plausible. I also really enjoyed the epilogue. It was a nice touch since there were so many characters introduced.
ohlendorfbe
Favorite Book: The Piano Man
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ohlendorfbe.html
Latest Review: Tears and Trombones by Nanci Lee Woody
Reading Device: B00BWYQ9YE

Post by ohlendorfbe »

I also am a teacher (retired but subbing). I agree with the above comment about not receiving credit, but not really desiring it. I think that's how Kim Jung Lo felt, too. He did the best he could to save the world. I felt the whole book was just written too simplistically. As one of the other questions in this forum discussed, it had the flavor of being a spoof of our country's defenses and international relationships. WIth that in mind, I think the ending followed in that manner.
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I struggled to get through the book. It just wasn’t holding my interest at all, so I was hoping the ending would give me that feeling that I was glad I stuck with it but it didn’t work out that way. It felt like it was ended just to get it over with.
Everything happens for a reason...
Zeix
Favorite Book: Man Mission
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zeix.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Zeix »

spencermack wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 20:18 I'm a teacher. I'm not blowing my own horn but teachers try to make the world a better place every day. There is no credit but there is a sense of a job well done and saved even without the credit, like teaching. Excellent book!
I agree with you on the teachers role though am not one

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”