Antagonists in the story?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Antagonists in the story?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

The author wrote an interesting plot that incorporated a unique antagonist who usedfear and intimidation to further their aims. For me, this was an interesting contrast to the protagonists and their group who used friendship, logic, and positive influence to further their actions. I found that I loved how the antagonists were potrayed in this story, especially Rhee Su-Jin.
What did you think about the antagonists in this story?
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

I think the author did an incredible job with the antagonists of this story, especially Su Jin. I really liked her. I understood her motivation and reasons for doing what she did. Sure we can call her "bad" but she did what she knew and what she was thought all her life. I
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Reynaa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reynaa.html
Latest Review: Sucsexful: by Rachel Martin

Post by Reynaa »

I liked Rhee as well. It was interesting because the author wrote her character so well. She's technically an antagonist but she is personified and made likeable.
Stephanie Elizabeth
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 212
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-elizabeth.html
Latest Review: Do You Remember Me? by Wm M Crouch

Post by Stephanie Elizabeth »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:23 I think the author did an incredible job with the antagonists of this story, especially Su Jin. I really liked her. I understood her motivation and reasons for doing what she did. Sure we can call her "bad" but she did what she knew and what she was thought all her life. I
I agree; Su Jin was a cleverly crafted antagonist. I quickly became immersed in her character and her reasoning behind her plans.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

The conspiracy on the other side is 'the antagonist of the antagonist.' The man makes the task of the enemy, but also thoughtful of saving the world from the hands of his oppressors.
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

I think the author actually made the antagonists more believable than the protagonists. I think this is because we saw less of them, heard less of them, and so there weren't the hollow notes I felt with the other characters. Dialog between characters is not this author's strength, but the storyline and action are good, therefore the characters with less dialog are more believable for me.
AntonelaMaria
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 417
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonelamaria.html
Latest Review: Voices of liberty in tribute to the American revolution by Robert Keiper

Post by AntonelaMaria »

vermontelf wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 08:18 I think the author actually made the antagonists more believable than the protagonists. I think this is because we saw less of them, heard less of them, and so there weren't the hollow notes I felt with the other characters. Dialog between characters is not this author's strength, but the storyline and action are good, therefore the characters with less dialog are more believable for me.
Exactly! For me, the reason why I liked the antagonists better is that I understood them better. It was just explained or developed more. I agree that dialogue wasn't believable and weak.
“Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.”
The Minpins by Roald Dahl
Bukola02
Currently Reading: Prince Player
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bukola02.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Bukola02 »

AntonelaMaria wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 11:23 I think the author did an incredible job with the antagonists of this story, especially Su Jin. I really liked her. I understood her motivation and reasons for doing what she did. Sure we can call her "bad" but she did what she knew and what she was thought all her life. I
I totally agree I came very engulfed with her character and the reasons for her actions.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I agree that Su Jin was a good antagonist. She was written well, and her motivations were explained.
Sam Ibeh
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

I think one thing that I want to point out is the use of female antagonists. Truth is, it's difficult to develop the character of a female antagonist without losing their feminity. The author did a great job here.
kperm
Currently Reading: Harry Potter The Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kperm.html
Latest Review: Please Don't Tell Cooper He's A Dog by Michelle Lander Feinberg

Post by kperm »

The author did an amazing job on the antagonists. My favorite antagonist in this story is Rhee Su-Jin. Her character is well-developed and unique. I loved that the author made her motivations very clear.
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

I really liked Su-Jin as an antagonist. Such a wonderfully written character. There was a meaning to everything she did.
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Post by Tomah »

I'll be honest: the antagonists were my least favorite part of the novel. The portrayal of North Korea as a nation lead by a dumb and crazy man with plans of world domination shows a very simplistic understanding of global geopolitics. I also felt Rhee Su-jin was rather incompetent, leaving a phone lying around that can give anyone access to the computers and failing to blend in or memorize her background story properly, for example.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I really liked Su Jin. Her motivation was clear and I almost found her to fall into a morally grey area. Rhee was really interesting too.
Neha++
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Neha++ »

I liked the way author has portrayed antagonists. Rhee Su-jin is my favourite antagonist. Although she is antagonist, she believes in her work, is hardworking and loyal.

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”