Favorite character in the story?

Use this forum to discuss the December 2019 Book of the month, "E-M-P Honeymoon", by Dorothy May Mercer
Tomah
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tomah.html
Latest Review: Greta Gar BITCH by Kimber Leigh

Re: Favorite character in the story?

Post by Tomah »

While I didn't dislike any of the characters (aside from the antagonists), I can't say anyone came across as particularly relatable or likable to me. They were all just kind of "there," playing their roles. As people have mentioned, character development isn't the strong suit of this novel, which is more plot-driven. I don't necessarily mind these kinds of stories as long as the plot is good.
Infinite I
Favorite Book: How to Define Yourself
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-infinite-i.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Infinite I »

My favourite character would be Steve. He was a well crafted and strong character.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by spencermack »

Steve had the most character development! He was my fav :P
Spencer Mack
AvidBibliophile
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Gold Digger
Bookshelf Size: 480
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-avidbibliophile.html
Latest Review: How I Became Santa Clause by Chris Kringle

Post by AvidBibliophile »

B Creech wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 14:16 Sharon was my favorite character. She had spunk and went at everything she did full-throttle! If I needed a bodyguard she is the one I would want! I don't know if I could ride in a car with her though! :eusa-pray: :)
Agreed! Give me two strong female bodyguards anytime, especially in Honduras, but with their tenacity also came some impulsive displays of reckless rebelliousness, haha. But then again, driving in other countries has always spooked me a bit. Don't even get me started about my bus driver in Jamaica... :shock:
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

Post by vermontelf »

Reynaa wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 07:58
jeminah28 wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 20:35 :drool:
Reynaa wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 14:35 Steve was my favorite character. I loved his wit and that the others seemed to have direction after he showed up.
Exactly! I am hooked to read the book because of him. It seems that sometimes he overthrows the main character.
Oh yeah, definitely. I think Kelly was supposed to be the main character but after Steve showed up, she kind of became a back character. I'd read more books with Steve as the main character lol
I agree, that Kelly becomes this frail character swept aside by the rest of the team. Again, the newlyweds seem to have a weak relationship, and as such, she gets lost.
Sam Ibeh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sam-ibeh.html
Latest Review: The vampires: Sodom and Gomorrah by Levănt DuPrae

Post by Sam Ibeh »

I think the characters were well developed. But if I'm to make a pick, It'd be Steve. Though not part of the story from the beginning, he made quite an impression for me.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

B Creech wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 14:16 Sharon was my favorite character. She had spunk and went at everything she did full-throttle! If I needed a bodyguard she is the one I would want! I don't know if I could ride in a car with her though! :eusa-pray: :)
I couldn't agree more! So full of spunk. Reminds me of how a few friends drive and I won't ride with them after the first time. No thank you.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I don't think any of the characters really stood out more than the others but I liked Sharon the most because of her tenacity and how fierce she was.
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

AvidBibliophile wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 20:12
Agreed! Give me two strong female bodyguards anytime, especially in Honduras, but with their tenacity also came some impulsive displays of reckless rebelliousness, haha. But then again, driving in other countries has always spooked me a bit. Don't even get me started about my bus driver in Jamaica... :shock:
Hahaha! I agree they were impulsive and reckless at times. I had a bus driver on the island of St. Maarten that scared me and that isn't even another country! :lol: :lol:
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Brenda Creech
Favorite Author: Mary Pat Ferron Caines
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Rainbow’s End
Bookshelf Size: 357
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brenda-creech.html
Latest Review: Was She Crying for Me? by Jerry Hyde
fav_author_id: 253250

Post by Brenda Creech »

Bhaskins wrote: 04 Dec 2019, 09:44
I couldn't agree more! So full of spunk. Reminds me of how a few friends drive and I won't ride with them after the first time. No thank you.
I can understand that! I have a friend I won't ride with after I rode with her the first time either! :roll2: I'll drive, thank you! :D
B. Creech
"Like beauty in the eyes, the divinity of the rose may be in the nose that smells it, and the lover that beholds it." Eckhart Aurelius Hughes
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

Steve does shine bright to me in the book. Most other characters could have benefited from a little more fleshing up. I feel this especially about Kelly’s character – there is so much of missed potential there!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

Kelly was my favourite character.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
faint9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67

Post by faint9 »

There is a bit of struggle to determine who is the best charter or worst. Every character has a particular role and responsibilities. For me, all the characters are outstanding.
Jeremie Mondejar
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Author: Still searching
Currently Reading: SandPeople
Bookshelf Size: 1377
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeremie-mondejar.html
Latest Review: The Book of Moncoto by Mosetta Penick Phillips-Cermak, Ph.D.

Post by Jeremie Mondejar »

vermontelf wrote: 03 Dec 2019, 20:42
Reynaa wrote: 02 Dec 2019, 07:58
jeminah28 wrote: 01 Dec 2019, 20:35 :drool:

Exactly! I am hooked to read the book because of him. It seems that sometimes he overthrows the main character.
Oh yeah, definitely. I think Kelly was supposed to be the main character but after Steve showed up, she kind of became a back character. I'd read more books with Steve as the main character lol
I agree, that Kelly becomes this frail character swept aside by the rest of the team. Again, the newlyweds seem to have a weak relationship, and as such, she gets lost.
I am thinking, maybe Kelly and Tom's love story will be seen in other series, just like Cynthia and Sky. However, the book is denoted to the newlywed, we are looking-forward to their intimate relationship than the suspense one.
:tiphat:
Jeremie
Official Reviewer Representative

"Jesus Christ is the Saviour of the world."
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

None of the characters really stood out as my "favorite." I wish the female characters were a bit stronger and more empowered.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables

Return to “Discuss "E-M-P Honeymoon" by Dorothy May Mercer”