Suspenseful Scenes.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Re: Suspenseful Scenes.

Post by Josephe-Anne »

The kidnapping of Inspector Robert Douglas had me on edge. I thought the Germans were going to kill him for sure! :shock: :o
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I really found the scenes around Cook’s kidnapping and rescue to be the most thrilling. I was reading these while I was alone in my room at night and this really added to the impact these scenes had on me!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 18:34 The kidnapping of Inspector Robert Douglas had me on edge. I thought the Germans were going to kill him for sure! :shock: :o
But that would have been a bit too fast! But then, we would have never known. For me, a small part of me knew he wasn't going to get killed, but a big part of me was also on the edge because the way the author wrote it. I guess we were all waiting for something to happen at that time :lol2:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Samy Lax wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 01:50 I really found the scenes around Cook’s kidnapping and rescue to be the most thrilling. I was reading these while I was alone in my room at night and this really added to the impact these scenes had on me!
Same here. The rescue was my most favorite part and by far the most suspenseful. I have these questions in my head like "Would they be able to do it? Would they escape unscathed?" I swear, I was literally lowering my expectations of them getting saved by that time. :lol2:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Josephe-Anne
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

My heart was pounding in my chest during the scene where Johnny encounters the tiger while walking back from the Temiar village. I was wondering if he would end up fighting off the huge animal, or if the villagers would come to help him.
:o :jawsmiley:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Washboard
Currently Reading: Murdered
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-washboard.html
Latest Review: The Sunken Forest by R. Barber Anderson

Post by Washboard »

LV2R wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 06:53 One suspenseful scene was when Amal followed a tall man from a jeep into the Sam Poh Tong limestone caves when the man could have been Pieter de Groote who had murdered several people. It was so dangerous to go in alone without backup and no one knew his whereabouts!
I agree! I was really on edge when he went into the cave! I actually said "No! Don't go in there!" out loud while reading in a public place. Got some strange looks for that.
“Perhaps one did not want to be loved so much as to be understood.” ― George Orwell, 1984.
MsH2k
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

The parade scene was the most thrilling for me. It was exciting to see the expert teamwork among Sarah, Jacko, Jamie, and the gang. It was especially tense when they were trying to determine if the building guards were really Gurkhas or not. I was hoping the only fireworks in the parade would be the ones for entertainment!
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Howlan wrote: 16 Oct 2019, 12:07 The rescue of Samuel Martins from the bandits by the MSS was really tense and thrilling.
How difficult it would be, too, to rescue a delirious person and not get caught! I chuckled a bit when they mentioned having to use chloroform to keep him quiet on the way out
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Mr Benji wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 18:31 For me, the introduction in the first chapter was captivating.

I love the description of the "art of abducting" Jonny, too.

Especially, for the scene where he was helped even by one of the bandits.

I think that everyone has a soft nature. We just wish it is all we see all the time from every person.

This nature will make the society better, indeed.

Thank you.
Some seemed to go back and forth! The leader of the bandits seemed to be ok and nice-ish ine minute then threaten to shoot you the next
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

CommMayo wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 15:38 I have this funny habit of trying to read way too fast during suspenseful scenes. Sometimes I need to literally hide the next paragraph with my hand so I don't try to read two paragraphs as one time. Am I crazy or did anyone else do that?
That's funny! I wish i had this intense of a reaction while reading this book, but I didnt find many scenes super suspenseful. If anything I found them repetative and slightly boring
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

LV2R wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 06:53 One suspenseful scene was when Amal followed a tall man from a jeep into the Sam Poh Tong limestone caves when the man could have been Pieter de Groote who had murdered several people. It was so dangerous to go in alone without backup and no one knew his whereabouts!
And he almost got caught too! He had to hide behind that statue in the cave
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 20:24 Most scenes were suspenseful and it became excruciatingly painful for me to sit still with all the dramatic irony flying all around the book. A scene like the one that dealt with the parade where they had to make sure there was no havoc, the MSS plan was perfect yet the bandits were gonna double cross that and that had me cursing villains (bad guys) for being so smart😅.
Amal going into those caves too, "sigh" well, really gave me the chills. Authors will make me die from too much anticipation running around in my system😃.
I would have to agree that the most intense scenes were those at theparade. One wrong step and things could have been really bad for the good guys
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Mbrooks2518 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 12:20 I really liked the opening scene. It was so suspenseful and attention grabbing. I also liked the ambush at the end of the book. I was holding my breath while reading it, wondering if all the bandits and their leaders would be captured or if someone would manage to slip away.
A few did slip away from the group. Makes you wonder what happened to them and where they ended up
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 12:49 Oh, so many of them! Johnny's kidnapping, the team going into the caves, if they'd be able to stop the ceremony interruptions, catching the bandits near the end of the book. The whole book is so fast-paced and exciting, I wouldn't put it down if I could.
I wish I had felt the same! I thought the story drug on. I had to make myself pick it up and just finish it to get it over with lol
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

briellejee wrote: 28 Oct 2019, 21:04
Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 26 Oct 2019, 20:24 . A scene like the one that dealt with the parade where they had to make sure there was no havoc, the MSS plan was perfect yet the bandits were gonna double cross that and that had me cursing villains (bad guys) for being so smart😅.
Cursing the villains because of them being smart is also totally me! :lol2: I mean, a part of me liked this conflict and twist but a small part of me just wants the good guys to have peace! :D
Unfortunately if the good guys get to have peace there is no story!

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”