Suspenseful Scenes.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Suspenseful Scenes.

Post by Kro92813 »

briellejee wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 03:23
Josephe-Anne wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 18:34 The kidnapping of Inspector Robert Douglas had me on edge. I thought the Germans were going to kill him for sure! :shock: :o
But that would have been a bit too fast! But then, we would have never known. For me, a small part of me knew he wasn't going to get killed, but a big part of me was also on the edge because the way the author wrote it. I guess we were all waiting for something to happen at that time :lol2:
Idk i felt like everyone got out of the tough situations a little to easy and smooth
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 13:00 My heart was pounding in my chest during the scene where Johnny encounters the tiger while walking back from the Temiar village. I was wondering if he would end up fighting off the huge animal, or if the villagers would come to help him.
:o :jawsmiley:
But even that moment seemed to pass too perfectly flawless..
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

MsH2k wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 17:50 The parade scene was the most thrilling for me. It was exciting to see the expert teamwork among Sarah, Jacko, Jamie, and the gang. It was especially tense when they were trying to determine if the building guards were really Gurkhas or not. I was hoping the only fireworks in the parade would be the ones for entertainment!
I agree! Nd when the good guys go into the buildings and encounter the bad guys. That was the most suspenseful for me
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

LV2R wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 06:53 One suspenseful scene was when Amal followed a tall man from a jeep into the Sam Poh Tong limestone caves when the man could have been Pieter de Groote who had murdered several people. It was so dangerous to go in alone without backup and no one knew his whereabouts!
I remembered this scene and I totally agree! This had me on the edge of my seat!
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 21:14
briellejee wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 03:23
Josephe-Anne wrote: 29 Oct 2019, 18:34 The kidnapping of Inspector Robert Douglas had me on edge. I thought the Germans were going to kill him for sure! :shock: :o
But that would have been a bit too fast! But then, we would have never known. For me, a small part of me knew he wasn't going to get killed, but a big part of me was also on the edge because the way the author wrote it. I guess we were all waiting for something to happen at that time :lol2:
Idk i felt like everyone got out of the tough situations a little to easy and smooth
I think the author did a rather good job in the portrayal of the scene.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

briellejee wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 02:15
LV2R wrote: 22 Oct 2019, 06:53 One suspenseful scene was when Amal followed a tall man from a jeep into the Sam Poh Tong limestone caves when the man could have been Pieter de Groote who had murdered several people. It was so dangerous to go in alone without backup and no one knew his whereabouts!
I remembered this scene and I totally agree! This had me on the edge of my seat!
Me too. It was very courageous of Amal to do what he did.
Howlan

Post by Howlan »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 21:17
MsH2k wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 17:50 The parade scene was the most thrilling for me. It was exciting to see the expert teamwork among Sarah, Jacko, Jamie, and the gang. It was especially tense when they were trying to determine if the building guards were really Gurkhas or not. I was hoping the only fireworks in the parade would be the ones for entertainment!
I agree! Nd when the good guys go into the buildings and encounter the bad guys. That was the most suspenseful for me
Yes that scene was nerve wrecking. And at the end Cook arrested the bandit chief.
Reader5698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader5698.html
Latest Review: The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing In The 1950s by Gary B. youmans

Post by Reader5698 »

The most thrilling scene to me was when Lieutenant Colonel Peter Henson and the ten Gurkhas stormed the Straits Trading building. The description of the fighting was very vivid, and you could truly feel how much was at stake.
Reader5698
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reader5698.html
Latest Review: The Onion Picker: Carmen Basilio and Boxing In The 1950s by Gary B. youmans

Post by Reader5698 »

CommMayo wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 15:38 I have this funny habit of trying to read way too fast during suspenseful scenes. Sometimes I need to literally hide the next paragraph with my hand so I don't try to read two paragraphs as one time. Am I crazy or did anyone else do that?
I definitely do that as well. :D I skip the suspenseful parts until I know how the scene ends, and then I go back and read those parts in detail.
nagadurga
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nagadurga.html
Latest Review: The Spirit of Want by William H. Coles

Post by nagadurga »

I can't take the tension or suspense in the story,so i read the climax first and then read the story from where i stopped. Does any body do this?
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

The most suspensful scenes were when they were trying to stop the attacks. There were all different kinds of attacks and many people involved. It was the best part with the most action.
Maríe Wamakima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wamakima.html
Latest Review: Creating Literary Stories: A Fiction Writer's Guide by William H. Coles

Post by Maríe Wamakima »

CommMayo wrote: 21 Oct 2019, 15:38 I have this funny habit of trying to read way too fast during suspenseful scenes. Sometimes I need to literally hide the next paragraph with my hand so I don't try to read two paragraphs as one time. Am I crazy or did anyone else do that?
Haha me too, I jump like 20 pages then go backward to see what happened?
But the path I’ve chosen has always been the right one, and I wouldn’t have had it any other way. :)
Ekta Swarnkar
Favorite Book: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-swarnkar.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Ekta Swarnkar »

I liked many scenes in the book and their detailing in many places we're beautiful but if only one scent then Johnny's rescue.
You live your dreams in the characters of the books you read. :techie-studyingbrown:
darkay
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by darkay »

For me, the introduction aspect was captivating.

I love the description of the "art of abducting" Jonny, too.

I think that everyone has a soft nature. We just wish it is all we see all the time from every person.

This nature will make the society better, indeed.

Thank you.
La Cabra
Currently Reading: Jag är Zlatan
Bookshelf Size: 412
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-cabra.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by La Cabra »

This books is a page turner the whole ride through but the way the introduction entrances the reader is what's most important I think. If it's got the reader at the start, the reader is more likely to stay throughout the book.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”