Role of Race

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Re: Role of Race

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Only1Cola wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 15:22 There’s a certain authenticity that is created in a period novel when names or words peculiar to that era are used in the writing. Sometimes when it comes to racial language, it can be a bit shocking that people would use such ‘politically incorrect’ jargon. But that was the reality in that time period and the writer needs that authenticity.
I agree. Sometimes it's difficult for younger generations to picture what life was like in that era, before personal computers, smartphones, and social media. It is equally challenging to fathom a world where it was taboo (and sometimes even illegal) to marry outside of your own race, but that was the reality back then.
:romance-interracial: :jawsmiley:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
Josephe-Anne
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: George Orwell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 488
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-josephe-anne.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
fav_author_id: 1746

Post by Josephe-Anne »

Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 06:39 No. It isn't too distracting for the modern audience. And one must note that although racial issues were very common at that time, it hasn't ceased. Not hearing it been mentioned all the time doesn't necessarily mean it no longer exists.
Of course it still exists, and sadly, we have a long way to go if we want racism to cease. However, racial equality has improved since the 1940s. Interracial relationships are becoming more prevalent and attitudes have started to change regarding the topic.
:romance-interracial:
"A house without books is like a room without windows." :techie-studyinggray:
― Horace Mann
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

cindyr2416 wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 08:24 I agree back then, race was a big issue and the treatment of others was more acceptable. But in today’s society racism is still strong. People just make it appear differently. It’s a different time and a different way of showing it.
I agree with this. Your phrase "People just make it appear differently" says a lot of today's society. Sometimes, people are not even aware that they are being racist since it is subtle. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

I do agree with most of the replies. The authenticity of the setting depends mostly, if not always, on the language used. Like in movies, the timeline is easily recognizable through clothes and in books, the language is the first thing one recognizes. The mere fact that it might be not suitable for modern society means it conveyed well the setting.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Wriley wrote: 06 Oct 2019, 23:04 To omit those terms would take from the feel of the story as a whole.
I certainly agree with this. I think it is necessary to have it no matter how derogatory they are since they will complete the picture of that certain era.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Dorcas Serwaa Adu wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 06:39 No. It isn't too distracting for the modern audience. And one must note that although racial issues were very common at that time, it hasn't ceased. Not hearing it been mentioned all the time doesn't necessarily mean it no longer exists.
You are so right.
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

CommMayo wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 13:50 Due to the time period in which the books are set, race plays a very large role throughout the Warramunga series. Do you think that racial issues were properly represented based on the time period or was the treatment of race (like uses of terms like "half-caste" and "lubra") too distracting for a modern audience?
It wasn't distracting to me. I don't think this book has any racial issue.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Katherine Smith wrote: 11 Oct 2019, 12:57 If we don't show the evil of racism, we are at risk of either downplaying its trauma or pretending that it din't exist.
Totally agree with this! Since this goes in the historical fiction genre, it should portray what happened before. Erasing it because it is a bit vulgar is just wrong. :tiphat:
Howlan
Favorite Book: Looking for Alaska
Currently Reading: War Graves
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-howlan.html
Latest Review: The Soviet Comeback by Jamie Smith

Post by Howlan »

Josephe-Anne wrote: 17 Oct 2019, 19:09
Only1Cola wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 15:22 There’s a certain authenticity that is created in a period novel when names or words peculiar to that era are used in the writing. Sometimes when it comes to racial language, it can be a bit shocking that people would use such ‘politically incorrect’ jargon. But that was the reality in that time period and the writer needs that authenticity.
I agree. Sometimes it's difficult for younger generations to picture what life was like in that era, before personal computers, smartphones, and social media. It is equally challenging to fathom a world where it was taboo (and sometimes even illegal) to marry outside of your own race, but that was the reality back then.
:romance-interracial: :jawsmiley:
Really good thinking by the author. It really diversified the book and made the book much more relatable.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

I would think that any offence is mostly within oneself. When you read a book and it stirs your emotions in my opinion that is a good thing. It means the author did the job right. How to deal with your emotions is nobody's business however, it is paramount to not let the knowledge or feelings you get from a book define you. So for me the book is good.
maxiphemmax
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maxiphemmax.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by maxiphemmax »

The issue of race might be less spoken of, but it's still there. so, it's good an author can fully natarate this in a storyline.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I don't think racism was represented enough in the book. It was a lot more prevalent at the time than the book would suggest. There would have been a lot more prejudice against Sarah in reality for sure.
Toya1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toya1.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Toya1 »

The fact that racial issues were so prevalent then, I believe it would have been somewhat ignorant not to mention it even slightly. So, both modern day readers and older reader alike like can a decent picture of what life was like then.
Toya1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-toya1.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Toya1 »

Karina Nowak wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 19:52 There is a certain authenticity that is needed in a book like this and if the word was used then and the writer puts it in their work, as a reader I would understand that this was a different time. The author isn't okay with it. They are just replicating the 'accepted' speech of the time period.

It's like writing a book about slavery in America and not letting any of the slave masters use the word '******' because it is taboo or frowned upon today. It may be jarring for us now, but it was how they spoke back then.
Totally agree. As a matter of fact, sugar-coating history does no justice to a story or to those who lived or fully understand that era. In my opinion, authenticity allows readers to appreciate the story even more.
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Books let us explore a world that is very different to our own. The portrayal of issues about race and discrimination in the past is a good facet of this book. It can educate us and help to shed light on these past issues. Therefore, I don't think it was too distracting for a modern audience. I think the issues of race were properly portrayed.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”