Do you think the novel would have benefited from a greater female presence?

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Do you think the novel would have benefited from a greater female presence?

Post by briellejee »

Howlan wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 02:06
Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:24
briellejee wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 03:14

I think it would have, but considering the author is a male, I think he hesitated a bit because either there is lack of knowledge on how to portray them exactly in a way women readers would find interesting or it is not just an aspect he wants to deliver on the book. Regarding the first reason, separating a man's perspective in writing about women seem difficult. There has also been a backlash from women on some male authors in writing women characters so I guess this could be the reason why there is no greater female presence. :tiphat:
This is a good point! It's hard to know about something you personally know nothing about
Yeah but as a author I think he should have researched the fact among his peers.
Easy to say but researching about something is different when you write about it. It’s not just jotting down notes but truly empathising and immersing yourself with people. It would take months and weeks. We don’t know what the author has gone through throughout this whole ordeal of writing a book so we cannot say things like it could be done immediately or stating the obvious when we weren’t even during the whole process.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Howlan wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 02:03
Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:19
DorcasToo wrote: 07 Oct 2019, 02:08 I think Sarah does a great job of representing the females. But definitely, more feminity would add in some spark.
The wives felt like helpless little puppies. That bothered me
Yeah they were side characters and had no much role to play in this book. However Monique has a greater role in the sequel
Interesting! I'd be curious as to what since she seems pretty defenseless in this one!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html

Post by Kro92813 »

Howlan wrote: 01 Nov 2019, 02:06
Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:24
briellejee wrote: 18 Oct 2019, 03:14

I think it would have, but considering the author is a male, I think he hesitated a bit because either there is lack of knowledge on how to portray them exactly in a way women readers would find interesting or it is not just an aspect he wants to deliver on the book. Regarding the first reason, separating a man's perspective in writing about women seem difficult. There has also been a backlash from women on some male authors in writing women characters so I guess this could be the reason why there is no greater female presence. :tiphat:
This is a good point! It's hard to know about something you personally know nothing about
Yeah but as a author I think he should have researched the fact among his peers.
Researched being a woman? As a woman, if I were to write a novel my main character would likely be female. That's the point the previous poster was making. The author is male, so is it that farfetched that his main characters are strongly male?
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

Sometimes the small role of female characters in books is justified. This may be a case of historical setting. But it all depends on the author in which way he will take advantage of certain situations.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:09
Abacus wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 15:47 Sarah does have a larger part in a later book. The ladies of the night get the focus in this book.
How do you mean?
Less agreeable is the need to gain intelligence by using prostitutes and belly dancers. But that is the nature of war and Greg writes about it showing the patriotic side of the women and their goodwill towards the war effort.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I think any novel could benefit from a greater female presence, so I'd say the same for this one as well.
babcockar
Currently Reading: Love in the Time of Cholera
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-babcockar.html
Latest Review: Code Name Lily by Julien Ayotte

Post by babcockar »

As a woman, I often find that men writing about women tend to make over-generalizations and play off of stereotypes. While I think the author did a good job with the female presence in the book, I still think that a woman could have written a better female presence just because she is a woman. Vice versa, men are better at writing a male presence. It is all a matter of what perspective the author brings to their writing.
iknwuzoh
Currently Reading: We Are Voulhire: Fires of Virko
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iknwuzoh.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by iknwuzoh »

I think the book needs more female presence than otherwise. This book is historic and the author should add more female presence to it, to make it nice for readers like me. Thanks
Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimi-adewole.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Jimi Adewole »

I don't think the author intended for his stories to be dominated by males. The writing probably just evolved in that direction. Time for affirmative action in the characterisation of novels?
Experience is a harsh tutor for she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. - Vernon Law

You might as well read about it in a book.
tannus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tannus.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by tannus »

ArriettyClock wrote: 02 Oct 2019, 08:20 I love this series by Greg Kater, however, I often feel like the amazing female characters could have a larger part to play in the novels.
For example, in "Skills of the Warramunga" Sarah, Jacko's half-sister is feisty, courageous and has amazing bush-skills. I was extremely impressed by her tracking skills. She's an inspiration to young women in her demeanor and independence.

Do you think the novel would have benefited from a greater inclusion of these amazing female characters? Or do you think that this would have been inappropriate in the historical setting of the novel?
I agree it would inappropriate for the setting but I wouldn't mind more female characters which would be fitting within the story
Clemens Nickleby
Favorite Book: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient
Currently Reading: Free Plants for Everyone
Bookshelf Size: 93
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-clemens-nickleby.html
Latest Review: Sandra Eden's War by Michael Low

Post by Clemens Nickleby »

How much more of a female presence can you get when a young, black woman is leading a contingent of men on an intelligence/military expedition and it is because of her skills that the men are able to thwart and apprehend the bad guys? Maybe what you are asking is could the author have given her more in-depth characterization? That I do think could have been done. But, why is it so important that we have greater female presence? Can't we just tell a story? Does it detract from women that there would be a strong male presence in a story?
Truth is stranger than Fiction, but it is because Fiction is obliged to stick to possibilities; Truth isn't. Mark Twain
dhwanis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhwanis.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by dhwanis »

Personally, I relate and tend to gravitate more towards books with stronger female presence. I do believe that, when done successfully, it adds to the richness of the book.
naomisorge
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-naomisorge.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by naomisorge »

Kro92813 wrote: 31 Oct 2019, 22:31
naomisorge wrote: 23 Oct 2019, 05:16 So many people saying that a female presence would not have been realistic! People...there were lots of women around in those times, but their presence and contribution were ignored, or credit was taken by the men. Writing female characters into historical fiction is one way to acknowledge the contribution women made and normalize their presence in history.

I also think it's interesting that the main female character, Sarah, doesn't speak all that much English, so the men can make good use of her bush skills but she doesn't really take a decision-making or analyzing role in the story. I would have loved to know what she was thinking at some points!
But would it have been realistic for her to speak perfectly t English when she grew up speaking a completely different language
Lots of people learn to speak English well enough to express themselves effectively when they grew up speaking a completely different language! Especially when they are surrounded by native English speakers, as, as Sarah is.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

The character Sarah is inspirational. I think it would have been amazing to have move of such female characters.
Pollyanna25
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pollyanna25.html

Post by Pollyanna25 »

I would have enjoyed this novel more if there had been a greater female presence. I don't know much about military operations; so to read more from Sarah's point of view, a young woman, new to Malaysia, who also does not know much about military operations would have made the novel much easier to relate to.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”