Overall rating and opinion of "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.

Use this forum to discuss the October 2019 Book of the month, "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.

Post by briellejee »

kdstrack wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 21:40
briellejee wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 20:58
kdstrack wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 20:31 I enjoyed the book and rated it a 3 out of 4. The numerous characters were confusing at first. I liked Sarah's participation, but disliked how she was frequently described in an immature way. This author has a compelling writing style that keeps readers intrigued in the story.
What do you mean "immature way"? I've seen people saying they like the portrayal of Sarah so I'm curious of your own perspective. :techie-studyingbrown:
Some of the descriptions were: Sarah "giggled" (loc. 1008); wineglasses and shiny silverware made Sarah feel nervously out of her depth (1291) Really??; Sarah chuckled (2365); bringing Sarah to giggles (3208). It just seemed that the "giggles" and "chuckling" portrayed her as childish. Why didn't she "laugh?"
Oh, I get your point. I've seen a comment recently about how she is portrayed as a little girl and people wanting to know her age. I guess it may also be about her being a woman in those times and surrounded by men. I guess the word would be "conservative" and the author is trying to portray her that way by using giggle and chuckled instead of laughing. :eusa-think:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Washboard wrote: 30 Oct 2019, 14:20
Kro92813 wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 21:35 Man I seem to be the odd ball with this one! I've only read the first chapter so far and have found so many punctuation errors already. He also enjoys long run-on sentences, which is making it especially difficult for me to get into! I also don't understand why he isn't using quotations around the dialogue.

I really hope this one gets better. I'm going to try and look past these things for the sake of the book, but for those reasons above I cannot rate it 4 stars.
My understanding is that Australian English writing allows for the different punctuation than American English.
Thank you! I ended up researching it after I commented and you are right! So odd lol
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

I haven't started reading the book yet, but judging by the other comments, I'm intrigued. I like the theme this thriller addresses.
Ivana Tomaš
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 177
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ivana-toma.html
Latest Review: The 13th of Summer by Charlene Pratt

Post by Ivana Tomaš »

Jbcitygirl wrote: 03 Oct 2019, 00:46 I can imagine a certain skill set is collected when going through a war. Being wrongfully kidnapped and then kept captive in the middle of an unknown and quite dangerous jungle is an amazing start to a book. I’m intrigued to find out how this all plays out.
This reminds me a little of Rambo!
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

I haven't finished it, but I with the little I have read coupled with the review, I am intrigued to find out how it will all end.
Action, adventure, culture and suspense all rolled into one book! Great job by the author.
Kelsey Fulton
Favorite Book: Villette
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 97
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelsey-fulton.html
Latest Review: Man Shark by Gerald Knight
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Kelsey Fulton »

It seems as if this series has nothing but praise on OBC, so I'm looking forward to reading it! Even though this book can be read as a stand-alone, I think I'd prefer to read the other two first.
"Everything is nothing, with a twist." -Kurt Vonnegut
Don Pwai
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-don-pwai.html
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi

Post by Don Pwai »

The skills of the Warramunga is a really intersting historical fiction. I loved the bushcraft skills of Jacko and Sarah since they would prove useful in saving Colonel Johny Cook who has been abducted. I recommend this book to persons interested in thriller fictions.
Latest Review: The Orb by Tara Basi
Dolor
Favorite Author: Craig R. Key
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dolor.html
Latest Review: The Center of Gravity by Patricia Brandon
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 115430

Post by Dolor »

I have not finished reading the entire story yet. As far as I have read, I like the author's writing style. I was transported into the setting through his cinematic storytelling. I will read the entire story first before giving my final rating for this book.
Ander Carlos
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ander-carlos.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Ander Carlos »

The novel Skill of the Warramunga is a interesting historical fiction. I enjoyed reading it. I was amused by the tracking skills of Sarah and Jacko. I rate it at 4 out of 4 stars.
Jimi Adewole
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jimi-adewole.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Jimi Adewole »

The Warramunga series always seem to deliver 4 star stories and writing. I'm always up for some Jamie, Jacko and Sarah. This latest entry didn't disappoint. 4 stars all the way.
Experience is a harsh tutor for she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards. - Vernon Law

You might as well read about it in a book.
Sandra K Pearson
Currently Reading: The Pygmy Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandra-k-pearson.html
Latest Review: The Writer's Roadmap by Leigh Shulman

Post by Sandra K Pearson »

This isn't my usual genre but sounds like something I would like. I'll put it on my shelf.
"I have always imagined that Paradise will be a kind of library."

Jorge Luis Borjes
fmd1821
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 137
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fmd1821.html
Latest Review: Mastering Real Estate with Private Money by Tom Braegelmann

Post by fmd1821 »

I am a big fan of the Warramunga series, and this book did not let me down. It was an amazing read, and I really loved the characters. I rated it 4 out of 4 stars.
Leethemuse
Currently Reading: A Girl Like You
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leethemuse.html
Latest Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Post by Leethemuse »

The title of the book intrigued me! I read through the sample chapter. The Malayan jungle is quite extraordinary and reading about the characters determination to rescue the colonel was awe-inspiring.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I'm only halfway around the book and I really like this book. I have read the first book of the series which was awesome. And I can already see this is an excellent ride too. From what I can see I'm safe to rate this 4/4 as the book has grabbed me totally.
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I haven't read the first two books in the trilogy, but I enjoyed this one. The story was fast-paced and action packed. However, there were a lot of awkward moments that could have been fixed if the story was written a little differently. It's almost like the Malay officials were incapable of doing anything on thier own. I rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Return to “Discuss "Skills of the Warramunga" by Greg Kater.”