Leader of the Fortune Tellers: Opinions?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Chelsey Coles
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 99
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsey-coles.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Leader of the Fortune Tellers: Opinions?

Post by Chelsey Coles »

Leader of the Fortune Tellers. Fortis Fortuna. Master of All Fates.

He is the most complex character that I sort of like but sort of don't like at the same time. He is certainly not what I expected as far as physical description or personality! It seems he is not completely "pure" or "good-hearted"... he seems greedy, in a way. Especially the way he acted after he got the chest from Will and Peter... he was practically salivating over it!

What are your thoughts on this queer character? Do you think there was more behind the bribe that the prince offered him? Do you think he could have helped without a bribe if he chose to?
“It's far less important to me to be liked these days than to be understood.” :sad-teareye:
― Lionel Shriver, We Need to Talk About Kevin
Nuel Ukah
Favorite Book: The Unbound Soul
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuel-ukah.html
Latest Review: Le Mutt by Eva Elle Rose

Post by Nuel Ukah »

Sinclairess wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 11:58 Leader of the Fortune Tellers. Fortis Fortuna. Master of All Fates.

He is the most complex character that I sort of like but sort of don't like at the same time. He is certainly not what I expected as far as physical description or personality! It seems he is not completely "pure" or "good-hearted"... he seems greedy, in a way. Especially the way he acted after he got the chest from Will and Peter... he was practically salivating over it!

What are your thoughts on this queer character? Do you think there was more behind the bribe that the prince offered him? Do you think he could have helped without a bribe if he chose to?
Never trust fortunetellers. I never trusted him. I just suspected him right from the first instance.
carolwnns
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-carolwnns.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by carolwnns »

He became a typical antagonist.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

The illustration at the beginning of the chapter depicting him gave me the creeps. I felt as if he was on the dark side disguised in fortunes grace. When prince William said his father had wanted to free the people of echoland from fortune, Fortis merely degraded him and treated him as a stupid little boy who would continue to go along with him. I feel he will be the one to fight in the next book
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

For a character that I expected to be, relatively speaking, a good guy, he was way disappointing. The payment expected for helping Will does, however go along with fortune tellers' cross-my-palm-with-silver tradition. Hmmmm.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

djr6090 wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 09:28 For a character that I expected to be, relatively speaking, a good guy, he was way disappointing. The payment expected for helping Will does, however go along with fortune tellers' cross-my-palm-with-silver tradition. Hmmmm.
I felt he was more evil than good
Neha++
Favorite Book: Adrift
Currently Reading: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-neha.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Neha++ »

I felt Fortis Fortuna is a man who chances his colour according to situation, for his greedy intentions.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Neha++ wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 21:30 I felt Fortis Fortuna is a man who chances his colour according to situation, for his greedy intentions.
Yes! I guess it makes sense for someone who favored fortune, but I thought he would be neither good nor bad. Or atleast even just a little more to the good side. I did not get that good vibe from him at all!
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Sinclairess wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 11:58 Leader of the Fortune Tellers. Fortis Fortuna. Master of All Fates.

Being different is one thing that can make a character unique.

Fortis Fortuna mixture of both the positive and negative of human nature.

But, like Everyone one that have a free will, he could have chose not to take the" bribe."

Thank you for such a question.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Mr Benji wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 02:46

Being different is one thing that can make a character unique.

Fortis Fortuna mixture of both the positive and negative of human nature.

But, like Everyone one that have a free will, he could have chose not to take the" bribe."

Thank you for such a question.
I rather like your description of Fortis. As both the good and bad sides of human nature
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

I find him greedy and selfish. Fortune tellers aren't people to trust.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

Neha++ wrote: 27 Sep 2019, 21:30 I felt Fortis Fortuna is a man who chances his colour according to situation, for his greedy intentions.
Very true. I think this tends to be how fortune tellers are portrayed in most stories. Greedy and able to read and take advantage of situations.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

In most stories about kingdoms and kings, the villain, or the considerable power always dwelt upon the witch or magician/medicine man, or soothsayer. The good vibes are usually supplied by the wizard. It is right away suggestive that he was made just a fortune teller.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Erin Painter Baker
Favorite Book: Among Others
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esp1975.html
Latest Review: Luke and Luka: Genius Kid Heroes by A.D. Largie

Post by Erin Painter Baker »

I think Fortis Fortuna is a man who lives by the rules, because he is a man that gets to make the rules. It is a way of having power even over kings. I think his motivation lies in keeping that power, which means he will act in whatever way (good or evil) keeps him where he wants to be. I think that if there is a sequel, William will either have to deal directly with Fortuna or learn how to use that motivation as a tool.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

I wish there was more of a back story for this character and why he is the way he is.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”