The eyes

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: The eyes

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 06:55
LV2R wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 22:06 That is a good question to ponder. Who exactly had access to all of the "eyes"? I thought since Will said that the orphanage was like a prison that they were monitored. It seems that Will and Peter were always sneaking around.
Who do you speculate? That's an interesting way to view the orphanage - as a prison - since it is supposed to be a "sanctuary" lol kind of changes the whole vibe of the place!

Since Willand Peter were sneaking around so much it stands to reason why the eyes would keep a closer watch on them
I think it was just a useful security system for spying on the kids and it happened to find Will and Peter. Emmy would have been a good reason for the system of the eyes to be installed.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 06:58
Hester3 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 05:10 I also think that Pellucid used the eyes to keep track of Will and maybe it also gives credence to the story itself, as a way to prove that Pellucid realy knows what she is talking about even when she was not there herself.
Sort of a unique way to create and give credit to an omniscient character!
If the story originated from the spying of the eyes then I have doubts about its credibility.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 06:05
Hester3 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 05:10 I also think that Pellucid used the eyes to keep track of Will and maybe it also gives credence to the story itself, as a way to prove that Pellucid realy knows what she is talking about even when she was not there herself.
Are you saying that she told the story of Will because she'd placed the eyes to see his entire adventure? I find that had to believe and it would raise questions to parts of Will's journey if all we have to go on is Pellucid the Librarian and her spying eyes.
I think pellucid placed them there but not for will specifically. I think they were there before him. I think Pellucid has written many more adventures of previous children in the orphanage too - using her eyes
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 08:19
If the story originated from the spying of the eyes then I have doubts about its credibility.
Lol the credibility of a fictitious novel with lucent people and magic? It's not real so anything is possible in the mind of the one who wrote it.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 08:17
LV2R wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 22:06 That is a good question to ponder. Who exactly had access to all of the "eyes"? I thought since Will said that the orphanage was like a prison that they were monitored. It seems that Will and Peter were always sneaking around.
Who do you speculate? That's an interesting way to view the orphanage - as a prison - since it is supposed to be a "sanctuary" lol kind of changes the whole vibe of the place!

Since Willand Peter were sneaking around so much it stands to reason why the eyes would keep a closer watch on them
I think it was just a useful security system for spying on the kids and it happened to find Will and Peter. Emmy would have been a good reason for the system of the eyes to be installed.
Why is that?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 08:15
Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 06:52
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 21:41

Maybe they were used to keep track of everything in the Orphanage and the Library, but chanced upon Will's activities....maybe.
Maybe! I just had the feeling they were purposefully spying on him since the very beginning :evil2:
Someone would have noticed the eyes being installed prior to Will's arrival. I think t was Pellucid's invention meant to be used for spying and Will was just an intresting bystander who caught her attention.
In the magical realm I imAgine they would not be installed..rather magic-ed in place instantaneously. I do think they were already in place well before Wills arrival
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 08:12
Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 06:46
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 21:38

Being overly keen and observant was Pellucid's character and she must have invented the eyes to watch over the orphanage and library. Will was a lucky coincidence, and writing his story became her new mission.
See I had the feeling Pellucid knew exactly who Will was from the beginning, so she kept tabs on him because she knew he would have a story to tell
I don't think that is accurate. I think Will came to Pellucid's intrest when the rumour that he was the Prince's echo started circulating.
Nope! nurse flight, velerian, and Frankenstein knew who he was and so did Pellucid. When Will first arrives in the orphanage and he is about to introduce himself at the pet picking ceremony, pellucid interacts with him this way, and I quote: "Then she (Pellucid) turned to Will, her sea-foam hair frothing in the breeze. “And you are?” she asked. But then she froze and mouthed between them, “Well, well. Only seen it once before. Come, come, cold-sleep got your tongue?”

So she knew Will was in disguise from the very beginning. Thus, I rest my case.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:06
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 06:05
Are you saying that she told the story of Will because she'd placed the eyes to see his entire adventure? I find that had to believe and it would raise questions to parts of Will's journey if all we have to go on is Pellucid the Librarian and her spying eyes.
I think pellucid placed them there but not for will specifically. I think they were there before him. I think Pellucid has written many more adventures of previous children in the orphanage too - using her eyes

Exactly that was my thinking.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:08

Lol the credibility of a fictitious novel with lucent people and magic? It's not real so anything is possible in the mind of the one who wrote it.
If Pellucid the character wrote Will's journey from her spying through the eyes, then the book is around two-thirds accurate.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:10
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 08:17

Why is that?
She would just been released from prison and the Fate Sealers might wish her death.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:14
Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 06:52

Maybe! I just had the feeling they were purposefully spying on him since the very beginning :evil2:
Someone would have noticed the eyes being installed prior to Will's arrival. I think t was Pellucid's invention meant to be used for spying and Will was just an intresting bystander who caught her attention.
In the magical realm I imAgine they would not be installed..rather magic-ed in place instantaneously. I do think they were already in place well before Wills arrival
Magic works in different ways and this is not a particular subject worth discussing because it will always be open to the whims of the author.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:24
Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 06:46

See I had the feeling Pellucid knew exactly who Will was from the beginning, so she kept tabs on him because she knew he would have a story to tell
I don't think that is accurate. I think Will came to Pellucid's intrest when the rumour that he was the Prince's echo started circulating.
Nope! nurse flight, velerian, and Frankenstein knew who he was and so did Pellucid. When Will first arrives in the orphanage and he is about to introduce himself at the pet picking ceremony, pellucid interacts with him this way, and I quote: "Then she (Pellucid) turned to Will, her sea-foam hair frothing in the breeze. “And you are?” she asked. But then she froze and mouthed between them, “Well, well. Only seen it once before. Come, come, cold-sleep got your tongue?”

The eyes were not installed for Will's benefit. There is no case here ro be rested. Pellucid was spying on children way before Will was in Echoland :snooty: .
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:27
Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:08

If Pellucid the character wrote Will's journey from her spying through the eyes, then the book is around two-thirds accurate.
Nothing is ever truly accurate. People bend the truth or remember accounts differently or only tell you what they want you to know. History is the same way in real life
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:29
Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:14

Magic works in different ways and this is not a particular subject worth discussing because it will always be open to the whims of the author.
Just as an entire work of fiction is open ti the whims if an author and to those who read it depending on how each individual interprets it
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:31
Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 09:24

The eyes were not installed for Will's benefit. There is no case here ro be rested. Pellucid was spying on children way before Will was in Echoland :snooty: .
Lol that's not even what this particular argument was about. I was saying Pellucid knew who Will was when she met him for the first time (which is why she kept an eye on him - with her previously placed eyes) and your counter argument was that she didnt know who he was until people started speculating. I have quoted proof from the book to back my theory haha

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”