Becoming a fate sealer

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Becoming a fate sealer

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 13:00 Its definitly easier with children to manipulate them and change them completely. I think it could be done with adults, but it would take much much longer
I think they thought it through with the crearion of Fate Sealers.
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 07:32
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:36
Washboard wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 19:09

I think you may be right, now that I think about it. How else would Echos end up partnered with the equivalent person as their Sound counterpart, same number of kids, and so on?

Maybe it is only Echos are affected by the choices of their Sound? That could really suck. For example, if the Sound couple are well off and decide to have six kids, but the Echo couple are poor and can't afford them but have to have them anyway.
That is an amazing observation. If Sounds get married, must Echoes too so that any child has an Echo and vice versa? When a Sound couple divorces, must the Echoes divorce to in order to prevent the birth of an Echo without a Sound?
:o this just got deeper on a whole new level! And slightly more confusing haha it's as if Echos really dont have free will like sounds do
That sounds horribly sad. But if Echoes lives are affected by the lives of the Sounds, then how would Echoes ever be able to differ from their counterparts. Like, how could Will's Echo be a prince?
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

Kelyn wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 12:27 Gruesome...that's a good word for it. Also: Detestable, horrifying, and cruel. I hadn't considered them having Sounds in our world, but I suppose they would! Great point. Perhaps that's how psychopaths tare made.
I don't believe Sounds are affected by Echoes. Maybe, though horrible as it is, Echoes are chosen to be tortured into Fate Sealers because their Sound counterparts are psychopaths?
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

A G Darr wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 18:50
Kelyn wrote: 15 Sep 2019, 12:27 Gruesome...that's a good word for it. Also: Detestable, horrifying, and cruel. I hadn't considered them having Sounds in our world, but I suppose they would! Great point. Perhaps that's how psychopaths tare made.
I don't believe Sounds are affected by Echoes. Maybe, though horrible as it is, Echoes are chosen to be tortured into Fate Sealers because their Sound counterparts are psychopaths?
Yes it wasnt explained WHY certain Echoes are taken. Just that they are taken as babies. Good Point!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

A G Darr wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 18:47
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:36

That is an amazing observation. If Sounds get married, must Echoes too so that any child has an Echo and vice versa? When a Sound couple divorces, must the Echoes divorce to in order to prevent the birth of an Echo without a Sound?
:o this just got deeper on a whole new level! And slightly more confusing haha it's as if Echos really dont have free will like sounds do
That sounds horribly sad. But if Echoes lives are affected by the lives of the Sounds, then how would Echoes ever be able to differ from their counterparts. Like, how could Will's Echo be a prince?
I don't have a concrete answer, but from my understanding is that every living thing has an Echo (trees, plants, animals, people...) and from what was revealed in the book - Sound families are reflected the same in echoland. IE: William the sound had the same family members as his echo. So maybe they can change basic things like what sort of house they live in, what their profession is, etc. but the living aspects are reflected?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 20:28
A G Darr wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 18:47

I don't have a concrete answer, but from my understanding is that every living thing has an Echo (trees, plants, animals, people...) and from what was revealed in the book - Sound families are reflected the same in echoland. IE: William the sound had the same family members as his echo. So maybe they can change basic things like what sort of house they live in, what their profession is, etc. but the living aspects are reflected?
Is this logic maintained in broken families through divorce, murder, arrest...and what about infidelity and surprise children? Is this the same for all Echoes when Sounds go through all of these situations.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

I'm not sure! I'm wondering if the Echoes lives are left to "fate" and the path of their "fate is bound by their Sound.

It gets more and more confusing the more we try to dissect It! Haha

And the fact that when an Echo lives in a Sound they do not age...so that would throw off their connection with their Sound (if there was one!)
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

That's an interesting take on it! It makes you wonder exactly to what extent the Echoes themselves and their lives are affected by their Sounds!
tristenb
Currently Reading: From Drift to SHIFT
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tristenb.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by tristenb »

I thought that this was so sad. I hadn't thought much about the fate sealers before this section in the book explained how they become that way. After this, even though I knew I should hate them, I couldn't help but feel pity. I wonder what will happen with the fate sealers with the new king.

As far as the fate sealers sounds, I don't think anything would happen. All sounds would have echoes and vice versa, but they live their lives indendently. For example, Will isn't a king, but his echo is.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

tristenb wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:47 I thought that this was so sad. I hadn't thought much about the fate sealers before this section in the book explained how they become that way. After this, even though I knew I should hate them, I couldn't help but feel pity. I wonder what will happen with the fate sealers with the new king.

As far as the fate sealers sounds, I don't think anything would happen. All sounds would have echoes and vice versa, but they live their lives indendently. For example, Will isn't a king, but his echo is.
I wonder when William abolishes fate sealers if he will stoop to their level and have them killed or if he would do things differently?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kelyn wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 14:42
That's an interesting take on it! It makes you wonder exactly to what extent the Echoes themselves and their lives are affected by their Sounds!
If the author's world building is to be believed then it is all the Echoes lives.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

tristenb wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 18:47 I thought that this was so sad. I hadn't thought much about the fate sealers before this section in the book explained how they become that way. After this, even though I knew I should hate them, I couldn't help but feel pity. I wonder what will happen with the fate sealers with the new king.

I also think it is very sad that children are taken to be tortured and propramed into becoming Fate Sealers.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 20:02

I wonder when William abolishes fate sealers if he will stoop to their level and have them killed or if he would do things differently?
Being king means making tough choices and there is no other way to do this other than kil all the fate sealers. They are too dangerous to let loose on Echoland. He could decide to take the Shadowpain route though.
ElizaBeth Adams
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elizabeth-adams.html
Latest Review: Beyond the Door by Haley Quinn

Post by ElizaBeth Adams »

The torture process was gruesome indeed. I felt so bad for the Echoes that had to experience this. It made me rethink the Fate Sealers, as I felt compassion for what they had been through to become who they were.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 02:26
Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 20:02

Being king means making tough choices and there is no other way to do this other than kil all the fate sealers. They are too dangerous to let loose on Echoland. He could decide to take the Shadowpain route though.
I would have to agree with you. Killing them would be the only way, but they would have to use an incendiary because they are pretty resilient creatures

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”