The killing law

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Re: The killing law

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I really didn't like that law. It didn't seem to make much sense. I guess the reader was supposed to detest the hypocrisy and whatnot, but I didn't particularly like it as an underlying premise.
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I wonder if the law was just brought in as a means of control and so the king had a lawful excuse to get rid of his enemies 🤔 there are a few old laws in our own world where looking back, they make no sense and were just a means of control!
Lady-of-Literature
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lady-of-literature.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Lady-of-Literature »

I never really put that much thought into it. I always assumed that they just were incapable of death till their sound dies. They would still feel pain and things of the nature but overall nothing else would happen, But I like your take on it better.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

I haven't read the book, but I feel since the echo and sound are connected, whatever happens to the echo affects the sound.
Letora
Favorite Book: Wicked Saints
Currently Reading: the air between
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-letora.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Letora »

Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 19:27 The killing law is "that when a Sound dies his Echo should die too—or evil times will follow."

What do you think happens when an Echo dies before its Sound? Nothing? Maybe that's why car accidents or murders happen in our realm? What are your thoughts?
My thought was that the other half goes mad. They must be connected in some way that they will feel/be effected when the Echo dies.
"Fantasy is a necessary ingredient in living, it's a way of looking at life through the wrong end of a telescope." - Dr. Seuss
IDKWhatImDoin97
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-idkwhatimdoin97.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by IDKWhatImDoin97 »

It seemed to me that nothing happened if an echo died before its sound, as the echoes-technically- don't have any power over the sound realm. But I do like your idea that that is why disasters like car accidents or murders by being in the wrong place at the wrong time occur.
Dragonsend
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dragonsend.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Dragonsend »

Thank GOD we don't have Fate Sealers on the other side, I am pretty sure the author meant this as a one way idea.
The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. 2 Peter 3:9 :angelic-grayflying:
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

That wasn't really clear to me, but the speculations that perhaps the Sound becomes despondent and not really present in the world make sense to me.
For a cumulative of about 25 years, I worked in long-term care. I worked with a lot of people with dementia. We would say of those in the more advanced states that "the light is on but nobody's home."
I was always a good fit for working with these folks until it became personal and I watched it happen to people I had a personal tie to. Then I had to get out. Not really relevant to the topic, I suppose, but it's something that's on my mind, always.
Perhaps a Sound without an Echo becomes similar to someone with dementia or in a catatonic state.
Mwanyalo
Currently Reading: The Crystilleries of Echoland
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mwanyalo.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Mwanyalo »

That echo that is said should die, can be linked with the despair and disillusionment in life situations.That means there is nothing one can do and thus, the 'KILLING LAW'.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

It is a given that what the king says will be done. But in the physical sense -- the Physics of things, that is -- echoes would just die out after there is no more Sound.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

Kro92813 wrote: 10 Sep 2019, 19:27 The killing law is "that when a Sound dies his Echo should die too—or evil times will follow."

What do you think happens when an Echo dies before its Sound? Nothing? Maybe that's why car accidents or murders happen in our realm? What are your thoughts?
That's a good question! If the author plans to write another book, I wonder if they will address that.
Emilyflint
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 12756">The Last Battle</a>
Currently Reading: Gameboard of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 248
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emilyflint.html
Latest Review: Opaque by Calix Leigh-Reign

Post by Emilyflint »

What an intriguing idea. I bet if more thought was put into that side of the story it would have been a great explanation!
FionaSongbird
Currently Reading: The Killer Angels
Bookshelf Size: 25

Post by FionaSongbird »

I don't think anything happens if a Sound dies and not their Echo. I think it was propaganda used to create a law simply to control the Echo population. The Fate Sealers thrive on creating fear. The whole purpose of their existence seems to be to make the Echoes miserable. Having this law hanging over their heads certainly did the job.
Akpome1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akpome1.html
Latest Review: Mixed Blessings by J.M. Muse

Post by Akpome1 »

When a Sound dies his Echo dies too. What then happens when an Echo dies before its Sound? Well, in my opinion, the two go together. One cannot die without the other following.
nchoate12
Currently Reading: 10 directions
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nchoate12.html
Latest Review: Welcome to Shadow Creek by Don Williams

Post by nchoate12 »

Probably sickness and illness. It's not a quick death but more of a gradual decline.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”