The best pet in the story?

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: The best pet in the story?

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 06:58
djr6090 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 08:23 Definitely the wolf. The story was kind of cute in that each one of the castaway children was required to chose a pet. Don't you wonder if all the pets had Sounds to pair up with? The albatross did.
I think they all would have sounds and echoes. At the beginning of the book when Will finds out about Damien and dea they explain that every living thing has an Echo. That includes people animals and plants.

The albatross that valerie chose was a sound and I'm pretty confident Wolfea and appudini were sounds as well
That means that somewhere Wolfèa has an echo roaming the wilds of Echoland. I would srill select a sound Wandering Albatross for a pet though.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:17
Kro92813 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 21:26
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 07:57

Wolfèa was an excellent selection for a pet, but will had been given specific instructions to pick a cockroach. I wonder whether Echoland cockroaches have any unique capabilities.
You highlighted my conversation but failed to add anything to it, why?
I did add to it, it just got messed up in the quotations. Here was my response: I think (and hope!) Damien meant this sarcastically. As in to stay under the radar and not draw unwanted attention to himself like he did by choosing a wild wolf
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:19
Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:10
little_nell15 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 15:20 My vote is for Valerie's albatross. By flying the albatross must mean that there is a high level of understanding between the pet and Valerie. Also unlike Wolfea and Poudini ( though they go with Will and Peter on their quest to find Olam Shone) Valerie's albatross is extremely useful.
Yes I was also disappointed that wolfea and poudini did nothing to help while in olam shone. I feel like there was a lot of missed opportunity there! For instance, when Will and Peter were stuck in the river wolfea could easily have come to the rescue! Same with the fog and the spiders.
Both were situations where Will and Peter could get through by themselves, realistically. Poudini and Wolfeá were amazing pets who were extremely useful to them despite this one incident.
In what specific ways were they extremely useful?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 07:03
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:17
Kro92813 wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 21:26
You highlighted my conversation but failed to add anything to it, why?
I did add to it, it just got messed up in the quotations. Here was my response: I think (and hope!) Damien meant this sarcastically. As in to stay under the radar and not draw unwanted attention to himself like he did by choosing a wild wolf
I can't honestly speak to Damien's motives in this.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 07:06

Yes I was also disappointed that wolfea and poudini did nothing to help while in olam shone. I feel like there was a lot of missed opportunity there! For instance, when Will and Peter were stuck in the river wolfea could easily have come to the rescue! Same with the fog and the spiders.
Both were situations where Will and Peter could get through by themselves, realistically. Poudini and Wolfeá were amazing pets who were extremely useful to them despite this one incident.
Peter could not make friend's in the orphanage and Poudini was a companion to keep him company. Wolfèa did the same for Will.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Will and Peter also had a potential warning sign against Dementors....I mean Fate Sealers!
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 07:15
Peter could not make friend's in the orphanage and Poudini was a companion to keep him company. Wolfèa did the same for Will.
I think that's nice that they were his companions, but I'm not sure that makes them extremely useful. My dog is a nice companion but shes kinda lazy and not super useful :P
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 09:25
Will and Peter also had a potential warning sign against Dementors....I mean Fate Sealers!
Did they ever warn them though? I mean they were always being trailed by fate sealers so idk that they needed a heads up lol
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 14:32

I think that's nice that they were his companions, but I'm not sure that makes them extremely useful. My dog is a nice companion but shes kinda lazy and not super useful :P
Companionshit-to you- does not equal extremely useful,...to children who have lost their previous homes, to Sounds who can never go back to the Sound Realm, to young people constsntly terrified of Fate Sealers? I see how companionship does not equal extremely useful.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 14:43

Companionshit-to you- does not equal extremely useful,...to children who have lost their previous homes, to Sounds who can never go back to the Sound Realm, to young people constsntly terrified of Fate Sealers? I see how companionship does not equal extremely useful.
I feel like this is another situation we will have to agree to disagree again :lol2: i think we are both viewing "extremely useful" in two different ways. You are viewing the pets usefulness in an emotional way, whereas i am viewing their usefulness in a more physical aspect.

Emotionally, the pets do help the children out to feel comfortable and at home in this strange new world. But physically the pets are not at all useful in pushing the plot forward. The book doesnt dwell on the emotional or physical aspect of having a pet, so I dont think in either respect they are extremely useful in any way. The pets dont drive the plot forward so for me they arent all that significant
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 22:38
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 14:43

I feel like this is another situation we will have to agree to disagree again :lol2: i think we are both viewing "extremely useful" in two different ways. You are viewing the pets usefulness in an emotional way, whereas i am viewing their usefulness in a more physical aspect.

Emotionally, the pets do help the children out to feel comfortable and at home in this strange new world. But physically the pets are not at all useful in pushing the plot forward. The book doesnt dwell on the emotional or physical aspect of having a pet, so I dont think in either respect they are extremely useful in any way. The pets dont drive the plot forward so for me they arent all that significant
All I am saying that one purpose in Wolfea and Poudini being excellent pets is the emotional bond they instill in Will and Peter.
djr6090
Favorite Book: The North Wind Descends (The Lord Hani Mysteries Book 4)
Currently Reading: There's a Hole in My Bucket
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-djr6090.html
Latest Review: The Odessa Legacy by Dr. Richard Bend

Post by djr6090 »

Kro92813 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 06:58
djr6090 wrote: 18 Sep 2019, 08:23 Definitely the wolf. The story was kind of cute in that each one of the castaway children was required to chose a pet. Don't you wonder if all the pets had Sounds to pair up with? The albatross did.
I think they all would have sounds and echoes. At the beginning of the book when Will finds out about Damien and dea they explain that every living thing has an Echo. That includes people animals and plants.

The albatross that valerie chose was a sound and I'm pretty confident Wolfea and appudini were sounds as well
I think you're right. I wonder what kind of plant would be the equivalent of the Echoland scenery. I imagined some pretty bizarre flora and fauna. Kind of like the cactuses in Baja, Mexico that inspired the Doctor Seuss drawings in his books, only icey.
Liana Mayhew
Favorite Book: The Orb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-liana-mayhew.html
Latest Review: The Trafficking Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by Liana Mayhew »

I think I would pick Poudini
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

LianaMayhew wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 19:19 I think I would pick Poudini
Poudini is an excellent selection for a pet, but I have the spirit of a Wandering Albatross.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html

Post by LV2R »

I liked that Valerie could fly around on the albatross. Though the readers do not get any details about the bird, it would be fun to fly on it.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”