Questions for the author

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Re: Questions for the author

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:48
Dikay127 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:38
Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:37

See I interpreted that statement about her writing a book about Will as in she wrote the book we just read - which was an interesting twist!
Oh that's interesting! I suppose you could have seen it that way. That just never crossed my mind!
Isnt it interesting that we can read the same words but view them so differently?

I imagine Pellucid will be writing more adventures about Will in the future - and hopefully highlight Emmy a bit more too!
I hope that Pellucid continues to write more stories on Will's adventures too, maybe one with multiple PoV to include Emmy, Valerie, and Peter.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 22:24
Washboard wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 21:06
Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 20:53

I dont think it would be possible for an Echo to be born before a Sound. Because when a sound is born it's Echo is washed down the rivers and streams into Echoland. So maybe two echos could try to have a child, but wouldn't conceive unless their sounds did first?
But aren't Echos born along with the Sound and washed into Echoland? I think that would mean that no Echos are born within Echoland.
Yes I think you are right! This was one of the points I was confused on with the authors writing. The only mention of how echoes come to be is when dea says "“Life begins twice. You see the Sounds, but you don’t see their see-through reflections. They float away at birth: flowers, trees, animals…people. Rain washes them into rivers, and the rivers wash them into Echoland.”

So idk how they are retrieved in echoland or what happens once they are washed away, but it sounds like no echo is "born" in echoland
I had assumed that Echoland is a ...Echo of the Sound realm and every Echo is born there just as every Sound in the Sound realm, except those who are in Echoland.
Chrystal Oaks
Favorite Book: The Favor
Currently Reading: The Fourth Kinetic
Bookshelf Size: 1193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chrystal-oaks.html
Latest Review: E M P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Chrystal Oaks »

Lunastella wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 19:07
Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 20:52
Lunastella wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 20:11 I would like to know if he inspired his idea of Plato's Allegory of the Cave. I know it's a nerdy question :P, but I've been wondering since I read the review...
what is Plato's Allegory of the cave?
It's an allegory presented by Plato in his book "Republic" to explain ignorance and the nature of sensorial perception.

"In the allegory, Plato likens people untutored in the Theory of Forms to prisoners chained in a cave, unable to turn their heads. All they can see is the wall of the cave. Behind them burns a fire. Between the fire and the prisoners there is a parapet, along which puppeteers can walk. The puppeteers, who are behind the prisoners, hold up puppets that cast shadows on the wall of the cave. The prisoners are unable to see these puppets, the real objects, that pass behind them. What the prisoners see and hear are shadows and echoes cast by objects that they do not see.
The philosopher is like a prisoner who is freed from the cave and comes to understand that the shadows on the wall are not reality at all, for he can perceive the true form of reality rather than the manufactured reality that is the shadows seen by the prisoners.
The inmates of this place do not even desire to leave their prison, for they know no better life. The prisoners manage to break their bonds one day and discover that their reality was not what they thought it was. They discovered the sun, which Plato uses as an analogy for the fire that man cannot see behind. Like the fire that cast light on the walls of the cave, the human condition is forever bound to the impressions that are received through the senses. Even if these interpretations are an absurd misrepresentation of reality, we cannot somehow break free from the bonds of our human condition—we cannot free ourselves from the phenomenal state just as the prisoners could not free themselves from their chains. If however, we were to miraculously escape our bondage, we would find a world that we could not understand—the sun is incomprehensible for someone who has never seen it. In other words, we would encounter another "realm", a place incomprehensible because, theoretically, it is the source of a higher reality than the one we have always known; it is the realm of pure Form, pure fact."

https://faculty.washington.edu/smcohen/320/cave.htm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_Cave
This information is new to me. Thanks for sharing it. More to think and ponder on. :techie-studyingbrown:
We do not simply live in this universe. The universe lives within us.

- Neil deGrasse Tyson
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

cpru68 wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 22:25 I always want to know how author’s come up with their ideas. The book has such a dream like quality that I started to wonder if the story began while sleeping! Some people write down their dreams, and I would be interested to know where this vivid imaginative story originated from.
It would be a great question, since the creation of Echoes is quite unique to the author and very much original.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 23:33
ChainsawCat wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 21:12 I would ask the author about the general experience of writing fantasy. Is it strange to move between the world of her fictional universe and the world in which she has to email publishers and wash dishes? Does the ever half-expect to be able to say a spell and make the dishes wash themselves?
I like those questions. When I finish a book, sometimes I wish I could do whatever the MC can do and then remember I'm living in "the real life". Bummer. :eusa-think:
I think this question would be interesting, but would she expect a spell or a crystillery? Would she imagine a gate to Echoland?
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 23:35
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:48 Another question for the author is: What are the behavioural similarities and differences for all Echoes and Sounds? Is it a yin and yang situation or twins situation?
I like these questions. :eusa-think:
I too found this questions nagging on me and would very much like to get the author's answers to them.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Chrystal Oaks wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 23:50
Kro92813 wrote: 24 Sep 2019, 20:52

what is Plato's Allegory of the cave?
It's an allegory presented by Plato in his book "Republic" to explain ignorance and the nature of sensorial perception.

"In the allegory, Plato likens people untutored in the Theory of Forms to prisoners chained in a cave, unable to turn their heads. All they can see is the wall of the cave. Behind them burns a fire. Between the fire and the prisoners there is a parapet, along which puppeteers can walk. The puppeteers, who are behind the prisoners, hold up puppets that cast shadows on the wall of the cave. The prisoners are unable to see these puppets, the real objects, that pass behind them. What the prisoners see and hear are shadows and echoes cast by objects that they do not see.
The philosopher is like a prisoner who is freed from the cave and comes to understand that the shadows on the wall are not reality at all, for he can perceive the true form of reality rather than the manufactured reality that is the shadows seen by the prisoners.
The inmates of this place do not even desire to leave their prison, for they know no better life. The prisoners manage to break their bonds one day and discover that their reality was not what they thought it was. They discovered the sun, which Plato uses as an analogy for the fire that man cannot see behind. Like the fire that cast light on the walls of the cave, the human condition is forever bound to the impressions that are received through the senses. Even if these interpretations are an absurd misrepresentation of reality, we cannot somehow break free from the bonds of our human condition—we cannot free ourselves from the phenomenal state just as the prisoners could not free themselves from their chains. If however, we were to miraculously escape our bondage, we would find a world that we could not understand—the sun is incomprehensible for someone who has never seen it. In other words, we would encounter another "realm", a place incomprehensible because, theoretically, it is the source of a higher reality than the one we have always known; it is the realm of pure Form, pure fact."

This information is new to me. Thanks for sharing it. More to think and ponder on. :techie-studyingbrown:
While I find Plato's Alegory to be quite interesting, I don't think I see it's focus throughout the book. Maybe you'll find it different once you're done reading.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 23:50
Washboard wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 21:06

But aren't Echos born along with the Sound and washed into Echoland? I think that would mean that no Echos are born within Echoland.
Yes I think you are right! This was one of the points I was confused on with the authors writing. The only mention of how echoes come to be is when dea says "“Life begins twice. You see the Sounds, but you don’t see their see-through reflections. They float away at birth: flowers, trees, animals…people. Rain washes them into rivers, and the rivers wash them into Echoland.”

So idk how they are retrieved in echoland or what happens once they are washed away, but it sounds like no echo is "born" in echoland
I had assumed that Echoland is a ...Echo of the Sound realm and every Echo is born there just as every Sound in the Sound realm, except those who are in Echoland.
I thought this too but it doesnt seem to be the case
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 23:54
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 02:48 Another question for the author is: What are the behavioural similarities and differences for all Echoes and Sounds? Is it a yin and yang situation or twins situation?
I too found this questions nagging on me and would very much like to get the author's answers to them.
Lol that's because they were your questions! I like the yin and yang idea
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 23:56
Chrystal Oaks wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 23:50

While I find Plato's Alegory to be quite interesting, I don't think I see it's focus throughout the book. Maybe you'll find it different once you're done reading.
My thoughts too. It would be a stretch to fit this novel into plato's allegory
Vera_bookily
Favorite Book: Guards! Guards!
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vera-bookily.html
Latest Review: Murdered by James Schannep
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vera_bookily »

I want to ask if the author would consider writing a prequel from emmy's POV. Emmy is such a great character and deserves a book on her kidnapping and escape
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

little_nell15 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 09:57 I want to ask if the author would consider writing a prequel from emmy's POV. Emmy is such a great character and deserves a book on her kidnapping and escape
I agree! I like the idea of a prequel, because Emmy really does have an interesting story to tell - especially before Will arrives. 10 years is a long time!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 09:32
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 23:50

I thought this too but it doesnt seem to be the case
Wait so if most Echoes ar not from Echoland, then is it a way station.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

Kro92813 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 09:35
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 25 Sep 2019, 23:54

Lol that's because they were your questions! I like the yin and yang idea
I like the yin and yang idea but it seems quite off noting Will and William's behaviour.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

little_nell15 wrote: 26 Sep 2019, 09:57 I want to ask if the author would consider writing a prequel from emmy's POV. Emmy is such a great character and deserves a book on her kidnapping and escape
I hope it starts with a few years after Will was taken back to the Sound realm.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”