Sounds and Echoes

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
dreamonkdr
Favorite Book: Potty Mouth At The Table
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamonkdr.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Re: Sounds and Echoes

Post by dreamonkdr »

Art often reflects life. Literature no matter the genre reflects the time it was written. Racism and Classism is a problem throughout the ages and pops up often in literature.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Kro92813 »

dreamonkdr wrote: 23 Sep 2019, 17:43 Art often reflects life. Literature no matter the genre reflects the time it was written. Racism and Classism is a problem throughout the ages and pops up often in literature.
however unfortunate - this is very true!
Mr Benji
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mr-benji.html
Latest Review: Dynomike: Pay It Forward by Frankie B. Rabbit

Post by Mr Benji »

Anti-Racism is one underlying theme that "adults and children" can learn from in this story.

Moreover, it is a message that can bring peace and "tolerance" in our present society.

Thank you for a question.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: "Dumb" Orphans by Allan Low
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

Helene_2008 wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 21:02 I loved the quote "we do not think of skin at all, we simply live in it." It was a great part in the book and I hope that it will resonate with other readers like it did with me.
I love that quote, too. It sounds like something Mr. Rogers would say.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Mr Benji wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 13:49 Anti-Racism is one underlying theme that "adults and children" can learn from in this story.

Moreover, it is a message that can bring peace and "tolerance" in our present society.

I wish this were true! There definitely was the underlying message of segregation and racism throughout the book. But it's not enough to actually change anything in society.. just to bring it up that its there
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

diana lowery wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 17:11
Helene_2008 wrote: 09 Sep 2019, 21:02 I loved the quote "we do not think of skin at all, we simply live in it." It was a great part in the book and I hope that it will resonate with other readers like it did with me.
I love that quote, too. It sounds like something Mr. Rogers would say.
Yes! I can picture him saying it now. He was very forward thinking for the era he lived in
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Kro92813 wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 22:41
Mr Benji wrote: 29 Sep 2019, 13:49 Anti-Racism is one underlying theme that "adults and children" can learn from in this story.

I wish this were true! There definitely was the underlying message of segregation and racism throughout the book. But it's not enough to actually change anything in society.. just to bring it up that its there
Yes, I think it was also highlighted with the presence of harmonies and how they were treated. It highlighted inter-racial discrimination.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 284
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-skindrukas.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B004DLPXAO

Post by skindrukas »

Benthic wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 01:13 Yes, I agree, it really reminds me a lot of Harry Potter with the pureblood and half-blood racism going on there too. I really feel that books like these which have such a good story, these meaningful messages in between brings out the depth of the book and the readers really enjoy it.
Funny, I was just thinking how it reminds me of that racism in Harry Potter! It really matters that a good story would have a message you could remember long after you've read the book.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

skindrukas wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 00:15
Benthic wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 01:13 Yes, I agree, it really reminds me a lot of Harry Potter with the pureblood and half-blood racism going on there too. I really feel that books like these which have such a good story, these meaningful messages in between brings out the depth of the book and the readers really enjoy it.
Funny, I was just thinking how it reminds me of that racism in Harry Potter! It really matters that a good story would have a message you could remember long after you've read the book.
Racial discrimination is a big theme in this book and many would learn how the author highlighted it in the case of Sounds and Echoes and harmonies.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

MatereF wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 02:59 The Prince exclaims: "I'll change Echoland. [...] Sound, Echo, Mongrel - all human beings will be equal!"
It's such a shame that in this day and age we still have to deal with racism.
I agree with you that racism is the most important lesson that can be taken from the book. We are all equal despite our differences in skin colour or otherwise.
I strongly suspect that if racism cease to exist other forms of something alike would appear... Many futuristic sci-fi books are about it. Maybe it's human nature... I see it even in my family, when you're judged because of a different lifestyle. If not your skin color, religion, then blood or the way of thinking.
The temple bell stops but I still hear the sound coming out of the flowers. --- Matsuo Basho
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

skindrukas wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 00:21
MatereF wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 02:59 The Prince exclaims: "I'll change Echoland. [...] Sound, Echo, Mongrel - all human beings will be equal!"
It's such a shame that in this day and age we still have to deal with racism.
I agree with you that racism is the most important lesson that can be taken from the book. We are all equal despite our differences in skin colour or otherwise.
I strongly suspect that if racism cease to exist other forms of something alike would appear... Many futuristic sci-fi books are about it. Maybe it's human nature... I see it even in my family, when you're judged because of a different lifestyle. If not your skin color, religion, then blood or the way of thinking.
Yes, I agree with you on the tragic nature of human discrimination. Sounds and Echos in this book were used masterfully to highlight this issue plaguing human nature.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

Kro92813 wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 22:48 I dont think a lot of young adults will pick up on the "anti-racism" message, but adults definitly will.
I hope that message will just stay in their heads until they grow up and ready to use it =)
Ferdinand_Otieno
Currently Reading:

skindrukas wrote: 30 Sep 2019, 00:27
Kro92813 wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 22:48 I dont think a lot of young adults will pick up on the "anti-racism" message, but adults definitly will.
I hope that message will just stay in their heads until they grow up and ready to use it =)
I hope that the message shapes he kind of people they grow up into. To never judge others for their nature and to be accepting of others.
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

mmm17 wrote: 14 Sep 2019, 08:58 I also think these are metaphors that make us reflect on all kinds of discrimination. Sometimes we aren't even aware of behaviours and beliefs that enforce racism, so it is an important message, indeed.
I even know few people who call other people racists but they aren't aware of being racists themselves...
skindrukas
Currently Reading:

Post by skindrukas »

Samy Lax wrote: 19 Sep 2019, 00:55 The sanity and health of a society is measured by how its members view each other. This message is really vital in today's world, and I am glad the author chose to highlight it in the book.
That's a beautiful though. And by the way, can be applied to small groups, too. Like a family, class or group of friends.

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”