Overall rating and opinion of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.

Use this forum to discuss the September 2019 Book of the month, "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kro92813.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.

Post by Kro92813 »

juliusotieno02 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 14:14 I particularly loved the character development. Check, for instance, how the author tactfully brought out Will's character.
I think Wills character was one of the very few that actually developed. We just got snippets of everyone else
writingShannon
Currently Reading: The Channeler
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-akshanmar12.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by writingShannon »

Kro92813 wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 10:55
AKShanmar12 wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 18:47 Well, I am a fantasy buff but I couldn't really get into this book. I think it must have just been me as so many other people have enjoyed it! The world-building was very detailed, but I was often lost as to what was happening. I'm glad so many others enjoyed the story.
I would have to agree with you! I found myself lost quite a bit but Iended up reading halfway and then starting over and it made a lot more sense the second time. You shouldn't have to do that to understand a book, but there were so many small details that were missed the firfirsfirfirst time I read it because she had a tendency to reveal something a while after she mentions it the first time
I should have given it more time. There were some really beautifully written parts.
Shannon
:techie-reference:
“You can never get a cup of tea large enough or a book long enough to suit me.”
― C.S. Lewis
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

AKShanmar12 wrote: 20 Sep 2019, 18:49
Kro92813 wrote: 17 Sep 2019, 10:55
AKShanmar12 wrote: 16 Sep 2019, 18:47 Well, I am a fantasy buff but I couldn't really get into this book. I think it must have just been me as so many other people have enjoyed it! The world-building was very detailed, but I was often lost as to what was happening. I'm glad so many others enjoyed the story.
I would have to agree with you! I found myself lost quite a bit but Iended up reading halfway and then starting over and it made a lot more sense the second time. You shouldn't have to do that to understand a book, but there were so many small details that were missed the firfirsfirfirst time I read it because she had a tendency to reveal something a while after she mentions it the first time
I should have given it more time. There were some really beautifully written parts.
It definitly was a different and challenging writing style, but the more I have talked about this book on here, the more and more depth I seem to find in the book!
samathaword
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samathaword.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by samathaword »

I just read the book. It was not my favorite book of all time, but think others would like it. I loved how the author described Echoland it was so beautiful! It was very original. Loved how it was lucient people and how they hide that was real unique about it. It had great suspense.
The few thing I did not like was some of the names were not as unique as the book. Some of the names to me seemed like it was rushed though or just not as well thought out as the other characters or the story as a whole to me. I had issues with the narrator totally skipping some of the sentences and also changing words that was in the written part of the book.
I rated the book 2 out of 4.
Nicole_Boyd
Currently Reading: A Captive in Algiers
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicole-boyd.html
Latest Review: House of Eire by June Gillam

Post by Nicole_Boyd »

I reviewed this book a few months ago and I really enjoyed it. I actually got to listen to it on Audible. Harrison did a fabulous job with the voices. I highly recommend it!
ciecheesemeister
Favorite Author: Jude Austin
Currently Reading: Homer, A Constant Companion.
Bookshelf Size: 724
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ciecheesemeister.html
Latest Review: Wild World by Peter S. Rush
fav_author_id: 165843

Post by ciecheesemeister »

I reviewed the audiobook version. I gave it four out of four stars. It is a very unique story which I would generally recommend to people who enjoy fantasy and swords and sorcery and who are okay with young protagonists. This book took longer to review than most because I had to go back and listen again to certain passages to understand what was going on. It is quite an intricate work. I found it a fair bit darker than most young adult fiction.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I usually enjoy reading fantasy type novels but can't seem to get into this story. I think the writing style of the author is throwing me off or the story is just boring to me. I am passing on reading the whole book.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I still haven't gotten the chance to read this book but there were lot of good comments on the story. And I like the concept of parallel worlds. So a parallel world with echos is an interesting concept for me. I'm looking forward to read the book as soon as I get the opportunity.
inmod
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inmod.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by inmod »

Sounds like a promising book. Would definitely check it out later.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

I would definitely recommend this book to other people. In general, it was really engaging and well done. In fact, the only problem I had with it (aside from a handful of spelling errors) was that the reader is often given a lot of information all at once. While this isn't a problem if you happen to have a really good memory or have time to read the book all at once (trust me, you'll want to), it tends tomakes it a little harder to read. Still, I would 100% recommend this book to anyone with an interest in fantasy.
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

ciecheesemeister wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 07:47 I reviewed the audiobook version. I gave it four out of four stars. It is a very unique story which I would generally recommend to people who enjoy fantasy and swords and sorcery and who are okay with young protagonists. This book took longer to review than most because I had to go back and listen again to certain passages to understand what was going on. It is quite an intricate work. I found it a fair bit darker than most young adult fiction.
I read the book (although I've heard the audiobook is really good!) I think it's one you have to read (or listen to) atleast twice to truly appreciate the intricate details
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

ObsessedBookNerd wrote: 21 Sep 2019, 13:21 I usually enjoy reading fantasy type novels but can't seem to get into this story. I think the writing style of the author is throwing me off or the story is just boring to me. I am passing on reading the whole book.
I struggled with the writing style as well. It was choppy and wierd lol
Kro92813
Currently Reading:

Post by Kro92813 »

Storm+ wrote: 22 Sep 2019, 08:52 I would definitely recommend this book to other people. In general, it was really engaging and well done. In fact, the only problem I had with it (aside from a handful of spelling errors) was that the reader is often given a lot of information all at once. While this isn't a problem if you happen to have a really good memory or have time to read the book all at once (trust me, you'll want to), it tends tomakes it a little harder to read. Still, I would 100% recommend this book to anyone with an interest in fantasy.
And I felt she would give us a bunch of info but wait a few chapters to explain it which made for a confusing read at times
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

This book was very interesting, and the plot was very intriguing, so I will give this book a 3 out of 4.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I liked the premise, a parallel world with beings that are sounds having corresponding beings - echos. Its just that sometimes there was too much information, and I ended up lost on what was going on. Like why fate sealers were so savage - lol!

Overall, I would rate the book 3 out of 4 stars and recommend it to lovers of fantasy.
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney

Return to “Discuss "The Crystilleries of Echoland" by Dew Pellucid.”