Miracles

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Browneh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 253
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browneh.html
Latest Review: Spyder Bones by Oliver Phipps
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Miracles

Post by Browneh »

HeatherEi wrote: 15 Aug 2019, 15:26 Great question! I really like the miracle of the splitting of the Red Sea and the Israelites walking across the dry, sea floor to escape Pharaoh's army. It would have been an amazing thing to see and experience!
This would have been truly incredible to witness! The power and might that would be needed to separate the ocean.
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I also agree with the Red Sea miracle. I can only imagine the grandiose sight that would have been to behold! To see the sea floor bare and the reactions of the people who witnessed this— that would’ve been incredible!
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

Abraham and Sarah having their son Issac is a special miracle for me. We may think God takes too long in fulfilling his promises, but He is always faithful.
Once_a_reader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Once_a_reader »

I like how Shadrack, Meshack, and Abednego survived the furnace and proved to their oppressors that God exists. Their faith is inspiring, and their choice to eat healthy vegetables encourages me to adopt better eating habits.
Pearl Hijabi
Favorite Author: H M Irwing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 163
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pearl-hijabi.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler
fav_author_id: 1986

Post by Pearl Hijabi »

I really liked the miracle of splitting the red sea and Israelites walking through the path created by the split is the one that moved me the most. That would have been a sight to behold. And also it reminds me that God helps us at the moment which we need it the most.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

aolayide wrote: 02 Sep 2019, 09:03
LV2R wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 21:59 I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation included many miracles that happened in the Old Testament. Name and describe a miracle and state what you liked or did not like about the miracle.

I like the miracle that the prophet Elisha did when a poor widow was in debt and her two sons were in danger of having to work off the debt as bondsmen. The woman only had a little oil that was of any value. Elisha told the woman to collect as many empty jars as she could find. Then, she poured the oil she had into the empty jars until all the jars were full. She was able to sell the oil and live off of the oil.
(Story #154)

This miracle reminds me that God will use whatever we have, even if it is a little, and multiply it to be not only enough but more than enough. I thought that it was too bad that the woman and her sons did not collect many more jars, as the oil stopped when there were no more jars to fill. However, it was more than enough.

Yes! you are right! One of God's name is Jehovah Elshaddai (which means God that is more than enough). I like the story of the widow and Elisha too. It is full of hope and promise.
I agree. I feel like this is one of the most touching stories.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
MsH2k
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Crushing
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 366
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-msh2k.html
Latest Review: Lilleah by eelonqa K harris

Post by MsH2k »

The parting of the Red Sea is the ultimate Old Testament miracle for me.
Another one that came to mind as I was thinking about miracles was the walls of Jericho falling. It was a great victory under Joshua, and it required everyone’s obedience: the priests, the soldiers, and finally everyone to shout. I like that it was not something that they would ever think to do, and it made no sense to them, but they trusted God and were obedient - and God was faithful.
"Knowing what must be done does away with fear."
Rosa Parks
Julie Petitbon
Favorite Author: J.K. Rowling
Favorite Book: The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
Currently Reading: Becoming Michele Obama
Bookshelf Size: 699
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-petitbon.html
Latest Review: Sophia Violet and the Fiery Orb by Evangeline Greene
fav_author_id: 1778

Post by Julie Petitbon »

The parting of the Red Sea, without a doubt, is the miracle that stands out most vividly to me. It is so inspiring and teaches messages of faith.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland

Post by aacodreanu »

HeatherEi wrote: 15 Aug 2019, 15:26 Great question! I really like the miracle of the splitting of the Red Sea and the Israelites walking across the dry, sea floor to escape Pharaoh's army. It would have been an amazing thing to see and experience!
It seems that there is a time of the year when the Red Sea still splits, perhaps in memory of that miracle. People go on pilgrimages to see the phenomenon.
spluficvictory
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 206
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spluficvictory.html
Latest Review: Demon Heart by David Crane

Post by spluficvictory »

I like all the miracles that was mentioned in the book. I also like the miracle of Elisha and the widow, it shows that God will always honor his prophet and keep his promises
“Reading is escape, and the opposite of escape; it's a way to make contact with reality after a day of making things up, and it's a way of making contact with someone else's imagination after a day that's all too real.” :techie-studyingbrown:
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I totally agree that the splitting of the Red Sea was one great and awesome miracle. It really showed the power of God and his support of His people.
MA
iced_sunshine
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iced-sunshine.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by iced_sunshine »

The word 'miracle' is used rather lightly these days but I do believe that there are still modern miracles even though I have never seen one. I think the author in using the number they did, sought to portray the story as accurately as possible.
aacodreanu
Favorite Book: The Billionaires’ Handbook
Currently Reading: Why Can't Johnny Just Quit?
Bookshelf Size: 450
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aacodreanu.html
Latest Review: Shifting Sands by Barry Litherland

Post by aacodreanu »

iced_sunshine wrote: 04 Oct 2019, 07:19 The word 'miracle' is used rather lightly these days but I do believe that there are still modern miracles even though I have never seen one. I think the author in using the number they did, sought to portray the story as accurately as possible.
As a matter of fact, I lived one: I was learning to ride a bike and I got to a point where I was about to fall into a deep ditch and I could not stop. It was a miracle that my mom, who was on her way from work, showed in front of me and stopped the bike putting her hand on the steer (I do not know the exact term for it). That was just one of them that I remember almost 60 years after it happened.
Karina Nowak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-karina-nowak.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Karina Nowak »

I would have to agree with the parting of the Red sea as well. That has always been an amazing miracle but then all of the miracles with Daniel and his friends were equally as inspiring.
BookPower9
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 387

Post by BookPower9 »

All miracles happens in the Bible is just God wants to shows his Power. Because God really wants to be glorified. That's the ultimate message. But every miracle happened when people started to doubt him. To doubt his care, love, and to doubt his existence. On the other hand, miracles happen everyday in many forms if you just believe.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”