Miracles

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Miracles

Post by LV2R »

I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation included many miracles that happened in the Old Testament. Name and describe a miracle and state what you liked or did not like about the miracle.

I like the miracle that the prophet Elisha did when a poor widow was in debt and her two sons were in danger of having to work off the debt as bondsmen. The woman only had a little oil that was of any value. Elisha told the woman to collect as many empty jars as she could find. Then, she poured the oil she had into the empty jars until all the jars were full. She was able to sell the oil and live off of the oil.
(Story #154)

This miracle reminds me that God will use whatever we have, even if it is a little, and multiply it to be not only enough but more than enough. I thought that it was too bad that the woman and her sons did not collect many more jars, as the oil stopped when there were no more jars to fill. However, it was more than enough.
HeatherEi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heatherei.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by HeatherEi »

Great question! I really like the miracle of the splitting of the Red Sea and the Israelites walking across the dry, sea floor to escape Pharaoh's army. It would have been an amazing thing to see and experience!
Inkroverts
Currently Reading: The Book Thief
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inkroverts.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Inkroverts »

I agree with the crossing of the Red Sea miracle. It sort of reminds me of what happened where I lived: instead of the sea, we had a massive crowd of a million protesters, and when an ambulance van needed to move in to reach a patient, the crowd separated to make a way for the van. From the camera of a drone, it really looked like a sea (of people) splitting open.
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I would mention the crossing of the Red Sea miracle here as well. To have something make huge crowds move out systematically and simultaneously would be a sight to behold!
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
ReneeBrown
Favorite Book: The Outsiders
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 105
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reneelu1998.html
Latest Review: the brave and the wicked by Brandon clarke
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by ReneeBrown »

HeatherEi wrote: 15 Aug 2019, 15:26 Great question! I really like the miracle of the splitting of the Red Sea and the Israelites walking across the dry, sea floor to escape Pharaoh's army. It would have been an amazing thing to see and experience!
Yes, I also think this is one of the most interested miracles in the Old Testament!
Nimisha_91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nimisha-91.html
Latest Review: Serendipity Mystery: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Nimisha_91 »

Yes, definitely the crossing of the Red sea. Everytime I read that passage I try to picture it. Wish I could've been there to experience it!
okello003
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okello003.html
Latest Review: Last Words from Above by Jeremy Brown

Post by okello003 »

I really love the miracle of Abraham and Sarah getting their child, lsaac at very old age. This symbolises of God's faithfulness. He does not work based on man's timing. His timing is different . He only needs faith from us in whatever is promised in His word.
rumik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rumik.html
Latest Review: Agartha by Jaylee Austin

Post by rumik »

I remember that scene in the Prince of Egypt movie where they show the splitting of the red sea. I'd say that's still the coolest miracle in my opinion.
Kaitlyn Canedy
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Napoleon Hill
Favorite Book: Too Old Too Soon
Currently Reading: Totem
Bookshelf Size: 508
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kaitlyn-canedy.html
Latest Review: The Date Farm by Jack Winnick
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by Kaitlyn Canedy »

I liked when Daniel was thrown into the lion's den but lived to tell the tale. That was an excellent testimony to God's will and Word.

I didn't have a single miracle that I disliked at all! All of them were unique and showed God's power in its fullest!
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant, it is what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are.”- Mewtwo
oluchiokere84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchiokere84.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by oluchiokere84 »

I really don't have a favourite but splitting of the Red Sea is one that moves me.
God sent the plagues before it to the Egyptians to warn them to let go of the Israelites but they didn't.
It reminds me of God's patience and warnings to us for repentance to avoid final destruction.
aolayide
Currently Reading: Are Your Kids Naked Online?
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aolayide.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by aolayide »

LV2R wrote: 14 Aug 2019, 21:59 I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation included many miracles that happened in the Old Testament. Name and describe a miracle and state what you liked or did not like about the miracle.

I like the miracle that the prophet Elisha did when a poor widow was in debt and her two sons were in danger of having to work off the debt as bondsmen. The woman only had a little oil that was of any value. Elisha told the woman to collect as many empty jars as she could find. Then, she poured the oil she had into the empty jars until all the jars were full. She was able to sell the oil and live off of the oil.
(Story #154)

This miracle reminds me that God will use whatever we have, even if it is a little, and multiply it to be not only enough but more than enough. I thought that it was too bad that the woman and her sons did not collect many more jars, as the oil stopped when there were no more jars to fill. However, it was more than enough.

Yes! you are right! One of God's name is Jehovah Elshaddai (which means God that is more than enough). I like the story of the widow and Elisha too. It is full of hope and promise.
Hester3
Currently Reading: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hester3.html
Latest Review: Wilderness Cry by Hilary L Hunt M.D.

Post by Hester3 »

I like the one in Daniel when his friends were thrown into the burning furnace and came out unscathed. It rely shows that God is able to take you through the most dangerous situations and still protect you.
V 1 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-v-1-5.html
Latest Review: Unhinged by Steve Galley

Post by V 1 5 »

One of the miracles that I liked is the provision of ram when Abraham was about to sacrifice Isaac. It showed how Abraham valued God more than anyone and how God honors that faith and obedience.
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

The parting of the Red Sea is an amazing miracle, in my opinion. The idea of having enough faith to wait and see how the escape would be made possible is inspiring.
tkpumpkin
Favorite Book: Dracula
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 7
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tkpumpkin.html
Latest Review: I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation by Val D. Greenwood

Post by tkpumpkin »

Before God gave Abaham and Sarah a child at the ages of 100 and 90, they had lost all hope of passing on their lineage. God came through on his promise and gave them their little boy Isaac. This was special for me because it shows that God is able to do anything. As an older parent still wanting more children, it makes me realize that God is in control and whatever is in his plan will happen for me.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”