Days of Creation

Use this forum to discuss the August 2019 Book of the month, "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation: Old Testament Stories" by Val D. Greenwood.
Ngozi Onyibor
Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Sugar & Spice
Currently Reading: The Wizard of Fire
Bookshelf Size: 175
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ngozi-onyibor.html
Latest Review: The Man In the cafe by Michael J Pilkington

Re: Days of Creation

Post by Ngozi Onyibor »

According to the Bible, God created the Earth with words of mouth. I believe 7 literal days is enough for God to command anything he wants into existence.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: People we meet on vacation
Bookshelf Size: 2398
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

Honestly, even before reading the book, I've never believed they were literal days. On the one hand, I believe in evolution and that a lot of the sacred texts are allegorical and, on the other hand, I think God's time is different from what we can measure or even comprehend. But, of course, I respect the different beliefs of others.
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

The book The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann analyzed creation scientifically. One of the things discovered was that the 7 day period was not literal. So I completely agree with that analysis.
amjohnson13
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

Jsovermyer wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 15:16 Do you agree with Val Greenwood's view that the 7 days of the creation may not have been literal days? He says we can't be sure how long the time periods actually were. What do you think?
I agree it wasn't probably 7 literal days. I reviewed a book making the rounds here called The Biblical Clock written by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon where they make an interesting correlation between the timeline established in the Bible for the world’s creation and the timeline established by the scientific community for the same event. You should probably check it out if this is a topic that interests you.

My review: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=105047
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

mariana90 wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 21:20
Jsovermyer wrote: 01 Aug 2019, 15:16 Do you agree with Val Greenwood's view that the 7 days of the creation may not have been literal days? He says we can't be sure how long the time periods actually were. What do you think?
I agree it wasn't probably 7 literal days. I reviewed a book making the rounds here called The Biblical Clock written by Daniel Friedmann and Dania Sheldon where they make an interesting correlation between the timeline established in the Bible for the world’s creation and the timeline established by the scientific community for the same event. You should probably check it out if this is a topic that interests you.

My review: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=105047
Very interesting. I'll have to check out that book too. Thanks.
Monet_va
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-monet-va.html
Latest Review: Cowboys Don't Fly by John Steed

Post by Monet_va »

I don't think it was literally seven days. Time is relative, and I think the word 'day' was meant to symbolise a marked amount of time.
Ellylion
Favorite Book: The Altitude Journals
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellylion.html
Latest Review: The Islands Tell Of It by Patty Fischer

Post by Ellylion »

I believe those Days should be seen from the Creator's and not human perspective. The Biblical time and our, ordinary time may differ.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Ellylion wrote: 07 Aug 2019, 10:26
I believe those Days should be seen from the Creator's and not human perspective. The Biblical time and our, ordinary time may differ.
I completely agree.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

amjohnson13mommy wrote: 06 Aug 2019, 11:55 The book The Biblical Clock by Daniel Friedmann analyzed creation scientifically. One of the things discovered was that the 7 day period was not literal. So I completely agree with that analysis.
Yes! I read that book also, and was thinking the same thing. He had it broken down very scientifically, and it fits with all the scientific / geological dating of the earth.
kdstrack
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I don't see any reason not to accept the days of creation as normal 24-hour days. Something to consider. If the days were not 24 hours, how long could the plants that were created on day four have survived without the bees that were created on day five? If the days were not 24 hours, when did they become recognized as 24 hours? When the Bible says that Abraham was 100 years old when Isaac was born, (if the days were not 24 hours long) does that mean he was 1000 years old or just 10? God was creating the world for man, so it follows that the days would have had 24 hours from the beginning - for the benefit of man, the crown of the creation. God created an orderly world for man, with days that had light and dark, hours to work and hours to rest - just like we have now. "A day is as a thousand years" speaks to God's perspective of time and does not have anything to do with the creation. This is how God views time - totally different from man's (limited) perspective of time. God is outside of our constraints of time. He created time for man, but he is not limited to it as we are.
Lisa A Rayburn
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

No, I don't think it was a literal 7 days as we know them as humans. I don't think we can really know how long a "day" is to a deity or even if they think in those terms. That may simply be the closest term the scribe could come up with when writing Genesis in a way that we could hope to understand it.
angiejack456
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-angiejack456.html
Latest Review: Arsenic and Old Men by Glenn Ickler

Post by angiejack456 »

I like to think of the 7 days actually being 7 creative periods. I don't think we can define how long in our time they really were.
Elizabeth Pass
Favorite Book: Dealing with Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #1)
Currently Reading: Reign
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bb587.html
Latest Review: COVIDinners by Katie M Zeigler

Post by Elizabeth Pass »

I flip back and forth on this topic. God could have done it in seven days if that's what He wanted. Or, we could have used the word "day" as a substitute since we didn't have a better word for the length of time. Either way, I think God wants us to break up our week in this way and to reserve the final day for prayer and rest.
amjohnson13mommy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amjohnson13mommy.html
Latest Review: The Right to Nominate by Thomas E Peterson

Post by amjohnson13mommy »

Glad you agree with me! I did a review on it, will look to see if you did too and read it.
Thanks for sharing.
amjohnson13
Wambui-nj
Favorite Book: Half of a Yellow Sun
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wambui-nj.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Wambui-nj »

Yeah, I do agree with him. We are not sure how days and time were measured then. It could mean periods. There is a scripture in Psalm 90:4 [New International Version] "A thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night." It could mean a period of thousand years...Infact, I have seen this idea being emphasized in several documents.

Return to “Discuss "I Will Make of Thee a Great Nation" by Val D. Greenwood”